• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Soldat
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

Best powder for Grendel

The Grendel has been around long enough that we should have an ideal of the best performing powder. I know on the 6.5 Creedmoor forum the overall favorite is H4350. I have searched this forum (Grendel) and have not found any one particular powder that is preferred above all the rest. I have a 24" barrel and prefer 123gr. SMK.
  • Fredman
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

8208 for me. N140 a close second for accuracy not speed.

Comment

• SG4247
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

I now voting for CFE 223.......
      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Most people shoot 130-140 grain bullets in the Creedmoor, (a variation of less than 10% in weight) so a single powder makes a lot of sense. In the Grendel, we shoot bullets from 85-140 grains, (a variation of greater than 50%) and finding a single powder that shoots all of those well is tough. For the bullets under 120 grains, I use XBR 8208, and for bullets above I use CFE 223. However, I had GREAT groups with BLC2 with both 100 grain Nosler BT and 120 grain Nosler BTs. The only reason I switched was that it was dirty in comparison, and it became unobtainable for a while. I also used 2520 and TAC before they became scarce, and had good luck with both.

Comment

• jonny rotton
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

some of us live in areas with four seasons. so i need a powder that is not/less effected by temperature.

Comment

• joker31
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2015

I se XBR...it seems the best for my use and even though it costs more here locally I think it allows me to feed my 308's and my 223's also

Comment

• SG4247
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

People say that CFE is temp sensitive.

But, I've shot it from 25F to 105F with no loss of accuracy, and a barely noticeable change in POI.

Easy to clean as well. Doesn't require chiseling and grinding the carbon off - like some of the extruded powders do.

CFE is the most accurate powder I have used for the 120 weight class bullets.
              NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• 1911man
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
                People say that CFE is temp sensitive.

But, I've shot it from 25F to 105F with no loss of accuracy, and a barely noticeable change in POI.

Easy to clean as well. Doesn't require chiseling and grinding the carbon off - like some of the extruded powders do.

CFE is the most accurate powder I have used for the 120 weight class bullets.
                I have not seen any difference in accuracy with change in Temp on CFE, my 100 yard groups were still around 1MOA from 95+ degrees down to the 40-50 degree temp range. However I did see a pretty dramatic drop in velocity on my chronograph when going from one temperature to another. That will effect your DOPE at the longer ranges.

Comment

• 1911man
                  Warrior
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Old Soldat View Post
                  The Grendel has been around long enough that we should have an ideal of the best performing powder. I know on the 6.5 Creedmoor forum the overall favorite is H4350. I have searched this forum (Grendel) and have not found any one particular powder that is preferred above all the rest. I have a 24" barrel and prefer 123gr. SMK.
                  I believe I just responded to another thread with this topic a week or so ago and my answer is still the same. As bwaites said earlier there are different factors such as bullet weight and desired velocity to consider when loading for the Grendel. However, based on what I have tested in my rifle and what I have discussed with others I think XBR is he most versatile powder for Grendel. There are plenty of guys getting good velocites and accuracy out of 120/123 grain projectiles which has been my experience. There are also numerous guys getting good results with projectiles in the 100 grain range with XBR as well. Results will vary from barrel to barrel but it seems most people have a load that shoots well in their gun with XBR.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

CFE223 and 8208XBR work best for me. Other powders I've tried are, H233, Varget and couple others that I don't remember off hand.

Comment

• Old Soldat
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2015

Thanks for replies. I too use IMR8208XBR-I buy it in the 8lb jug. It is my primary powder for the AR15 rifles. I'll try some CFE223.
                      Last edited by Old Soldat; 01-21-2016, 01:18 PM. Reason: accident

Comment

• mseric
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2014

2520 for me.

Comment

• rball
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2014

CFE-223 and Ramshot TAC has been pretty good for me. I am shooting 120gr. Prvi HPBT, 120 gr. Hornady GMX, and 123 gr. Hornady AMAX propelled by CFE-223. As for temperature sensitivity, I have shot the following: 31.0 grs CFE-223, 120 Prvi HPBT, COAL at 2.255, 5 shots, 2507 FPS Avg. (20" Shilen, Win SR primers, Hornady Brass, Magnetospeed Chrony), temp at 78 degree F. However, at -2 degrees F, the same load comes in at a 5 shot avg of 2402 FPS. So there is some temp difference. Interestingly, using 29.2 grains of Ramshot TAC with a 107 SMK, same brass, primer mfg, and COAL at 75 degree F, 5 shot avg = 2649 FPS, at 35 deg. F = 2558 FPS, and at -2 deg F, a five shot avg = 2494 FPS. It would appear that not only is CFE-223 somewhat temp sensitive, so is Ramshot TAC.

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2015

For me right now it has to be Leverevolution with 123gr bullets.
                            "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• Kendoist4162
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2015

I'm using H335 exclusively at the moment and have great results with about 8 different bullets so far. My rifle didn't like the Hornady GMX though. Long bullet so prolly wasn't going fast enough for it. Still have to find nodes on one more bullet, then I'm chrono-ing the best loads. At the rate I'm going I should be done just in time to start all over in the summer and try them all again in higher temps... Work work work ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X