X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Great stuff. Thanks so much for all your work!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Well done , ROS !

The potential is here. Good to see that the bullet will take game. 34" of penetration from the remaining slug is awesome= the second blood trail.

Out the other side !

Blood loss is massive in the first 7-11 " of a deer chest from broadside hit. Shock, trauma , done deal. The cerb Pill can shred itself down to the base of cavity.

Keep the aluminum tip idea for targets. AWESOME BC'S ! There.

Put a poly tip on to initiate expansions for this pill for 300 yds. hunting , or less.

Internally skive the inside to create the petalling effects of a peel back pill- Tsx- Gmx ideas.

85-90 grn Copper only. pill is all that's needed for most deer hunts in Continental usa.
      Last edited by sneaky one; 02-29-2016, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• xlcc
        Warrior
        • Feb 2016

Those photos above are fantastic,you can even see the twist from the rifling as the bullet travelled!Nice work guys...

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Open up your thoughts, as to what could be.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

I finally got a chance to run a ladder today. The weather was far to nice to go to work. haha

I had to run the ladder at 200 yards, the mirage today was ridiculous. I could barely make out the target at 300 with the spotting scope. I ran into some guys there using the sharpie marker method. I'm giving that a try next time, but anyways.

16" Bartlein Nitrided Barrel Chambered by PF 8" twist
            Hornady Brass
            CCI 450
            Originally
            OAL 1.639" COL 2.260" JTL 0.07"
            They seemed to have pushed themselves back out. They'll need to be crimped. I had 3 I didn't shoot and just measured one.
            Shot
            OAL 1.709" COL 2.330" JTL ~0.001" :/ They had to of been very close to the lands.

8208 XBR gr/fps
            28.6 2660.0
            28.9 2647.0
            29.2 2726.0
            29.5 2742.0
            29.8 2762.0
            30.1 2805.0
            30.4 2851.0

I loaded 3 more but didn't shoot them because of the last pressure spike.

There looks to be a node at 29.2 - 29.8.

Orange dot is a 1" circle.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• customcutter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Did you weigh the projectiles before loading them. I recently ordered some blem's and weighed them when I received them, and a box of 100 varied by as much as 4gr's. I don't know how much that would affect accuracy. As far as concentricity or eccentricity try laying them on a perfectly flat surface. See if they try to roll to a "heavy" spot, mark the top with a marker, move it and try again to see if it lands in the same "heavy" spot. You could also look at the tip when rolling them to see if it looks like it's moving up and down. It would really have to be "way out" though to see it visually though I think.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

CC: Yes, Sneaky weighed a few and I don't remember exact weight, but they were good. Also rolled on flat surface and tip had zero wobble to the naked eye.

My bullet maker, Mr. Charlie Bell of Pure Precision, is an exemplary machinist. I have no doubt machining is top-notch; the body to tip fit is a thing of beauty, for example. I hand-seated the prototype tips, so I'm thinking there might be inconsistency there. We'll rule out that variable with the run of brass Cerberus 85CZ, which will be machine-seated. Will also shoot with and without tips to see what we can isolate.

Cory: Thanks for the detailed report. Glad you got out on a nice day!
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Has anyone tried CFE 223 yet. Looking at the OAL of this bullet compared to others, the bearing surface is very close to our nominal 123gr bullets (SST/Amax, HPBT).

OAL (in)/ Length/ Weight (gr)/ Bullet
                  0.6310 1.230 123 Hornady SST
                  0.6585 1.200 123 Nosler HPBT
                  0.5740 1.156 100 Barnes TTSX
                  0.6740 1.297 112 Barnes LRX
                  0.7775 1.399 127 Barnes LRX
                  0.7095 1.350 129 Nosler Accubond LR
                  0.6585 1.294 130 Berger Hybrid Tactical
                  0.6178 1.239 90 Cerberus

Just to throw this out there, I'd consider a run of bullets at 1.15" length with the aluminum tip and a nose closer to the 120gr SMK like Bwild suggested and another run at 1.3" length HPBT. Later if it shoots we can play with the hole to get it to open like we want. Drilling it deeper, maybe even partially filling it with a polymer almost like a soft point but with a gap to tip and smaller hole we could get it to fly like a hpbt and open like a soft point/polymer tip.
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Cory, we tried CFE with the C90, but results were very lackluster. When we were getting 2763 with 30.3 of XBR in a 16-inch barrel, 33.5 of CFE gave us only 2581 fps. I would have expected more velocity, and I really want to believe it was an anomaly, but we'd have to shoot it a bit more to verify one way or another.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

If you account for the missing surface area from the relief grooves, then the bearing surface of the Cerberus 90 is pretty small...similar to the 100 TTSX bearing surface. The light weight and small bearing surface probably keeps the pressure pretty low with the CFE loads. I would guess that you can't get enough CFE223 in the case with the Cerb 90 to get it to the min required pressure for good performance (you usually need 50k psi or greater for optimum burn performance from a retardant coated ball powder).
                      PA

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

P.A. Yes, the new case is close to 101% full. Read back a tic, I put 34.4 cfe into a new H. case- it bulged the base of neck out. Yes, I know better than to use new brass for this- it's all
                        I have! Everything else is loaded. Totally forgot what we used that day- new or used. LOL. On the cfe trys. More focus is needed here.

BTW, I told BFT, that the 95 cerb bands and grooves are even less frictional than the 90, transfer it over!

BFT has some once fired, plus ones we shot-I'll tumble it this week. We'll size to our Sammie chambers, then retry a few loads from 3 weeks ago.

Maybe maybe , that will get cfe to the front on speeds. We were in a small hurry, I dint vibe the powder down much. Cfe is cool, yet so bulky.

We just got some H335 here. I want to try RL 10 too. Just to round things out for a complete test. And , AA2200. This next test covers all the decent powder burn rates.

Yahoo! The snow has melted! Eagle calling Raven, Talk to me Johnny! We need more pills! Why did you sell 80% of them???????
                        Last edited by sneaky one; 03-01-2016, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Cory,,, you read my thoughts exactly.

Bft had his vision for the ultimate BC pill for hunting.

Targets--- fine. Alum. tip,,, costs half the bullets price-

Real world, Gmx idea for hunting - . 450 depth cavity, splined - simalar to a Torx bit- 6 skives inside it. Cuts, to weaken the pill to disrupt it , to take game boys ! Albums!

Poly tip, works fine without one also.... Research time boys. We'll do some strategy thoughts here - .

Comment

• rickOshay
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2012

Sneaky is having technical difficulties and asked me to post this picture he took of cross sections he made of the Cerberus 95 and Cerberus 90 he modified.

The stock C95 on left;
                            second is his modification of the C95;
                            Third is the stock C90
                            Forth, on right, is his modification of the C90, weight reduced to 85. This was shot into the water jugs and BFT posted the pics of the recovered core. It is also similar to what I shot into gel at a weight of 83 gr.

Comment

• customcutter
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Has anyone considered barrel twist rate? Is there an optimum twist rate for a 85-95 grain pill at the velocities we want to run? Could the twist rates in the barrels being used be affecting accuracy results? Just some thoughts...

Comment

• 1075 tech
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2015

I'm no where near as talented or knowledgeable as you gentlemen, but one thought came to mind. How smooth is the surface of the projectile? Being turned on a lathe, are there microscopic grooves/ridges? would these be enough to disrupt the projectile during flight?

Comment

Working...
                                X