Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

LR1955 is, of course, correct! My agreement was in NOT buying an aluminum press, but instead the Rockchucker.

Comment

Thankw everyone for the feedback. LR, you sir are correct. Every now and then ill jump into a buy only to learn all about it then go back and spend more money on the stuff i actually was looking for. Ive been doing alot of research over the past few days and the rockchucker looks to be right on. Not gonna buy the kit and save myself 200 bucks to go out and buy the parts that i know i will use for some time.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by YutYut View Post
        Thankw everyone for the feedback. LR, you sir are correct. Every now and then ill jump into a buy only to learn all about it then go back and spend more money on the stuff i actually was looking for. Ive been doing alot of research over the past few days and the rockchucker looks to be right on. Not gonna buy the kit and save myself 200 bucks to go out and buy the parts that i know i will use for some time.
        YY:

Not necessarily so with all companies. Lyman for example has a decent kit for their turret press but still, some of the stuff they throw into the kit folks just won't use.

You may want to make a few selections and post them for guys to comment.

Look up 'Reloading Press' using the search engine. We had a good discussion about the pro's and con's of many of the presses mentioned here and it is worth your while to find that thread and read it.

LR19555

Comment

I noticed some of the same things LR1955 did with that RCBS kit: tons of stuff I know I personally would put on the curb for the guy who collects scrap to take. One big question you have to answer for yourself is: How am I going to change out my dies for de-priming/full-length re-sizing, and bullet-seating for this one caliber, and ensure they are set-up the way I had them before?

With a Turret press, you don't have to worry about that, because you set them up and leave them. You simply rotate the turret head to perform the function you are doing at the time, and can have 3 rifle calibers set-up with a turret that has 6 stations for the dies. Had I known what I know now, I would have purchased the Redding T7 without thinking twice. They are extremely solid presses that don't give or have play in them.

Comment

• vanguard138

YutYut,

I started reloading about a year ago when I had my Grendel built and found "The ABC's of Reloading" a helpful book also. After a lot of research I decided on a Redding single stage since I was new to reloading. Buy once, cry once

Since I have a 40 caliber that I like to shot, my next adventure will be with a Redding Turret press. As a new reloader I did not go with it immediately figuring it was best to get the process down before I went with a bit more of a complex machine. What can I say, I was Army Intelligence.

I also have a good friend who has reloaded for years and shoots buffalo guns, so he was a tremendous asset.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              I noticed some of the same things LR1955 did with that RCBS kit: tons of stuff I know I personally would put on the curb for the guy who collects scrap to take. One big question you have to answer for yourself is: How am I going to change out my dies for de-priming/full-length re-sizing, and bullet-seating for this one caliber, and ensure they are set-up the way I had them before?

With a Turret press, you don't have to worry about that, because you set them up and leave them. You simply rotate the turret head to perform the function you are doing at the time, and can have 3 rifle calibers set-up with a turret that has 6 stations for the dies. Had I known what I know now, I would have purchased the Redding T7 without thinking twice. They are extremely solid presses that don't give or have play in them.
              LRP52 and I agree on the Redding T-7.

Looking back on everything and the thousands spent on reloading gear over the years and comparing that gear to the gear of today, I would go with a Redding T-7 for all rifle and a Hornady Lock-N-Load auto progressive for pistol. In fact, I did so when the T-7 and the Hornady came out.

LR1955

Comment

The only thing I found I really wanted to upgrade for that starter RCBS kit was purchasing a small electronic scale (which cost 50 bucks and came with check weights) and some Imperial dry lube and wax (20 bucks) and I bought a hand held priming tool (also 50 bucks).

I bought all my reloading dies (except for by Grendel dies) off evilbay for about 5 bucks a set. If there was anything wrong with the dies, RCBS replaces or repairs them for free. So there's really no risk there.

You'll find that a simple single stage press will load anything you want very effectively.

Comment

Working...
                X