X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I agree, Klem. A bit over Sammie is no issue. A - LOT over means a stressed bolt, a lug may shear off. Beating things up for no gains.

I've done my best to stay in the 50 k pressure range for this round for 8 yrs,.. But then I re-checked my notes,, I must have hit 54-55K- according to Jasmiths pressure tests of the bullets , That I sent to him for trials. Still, no issues. Hmmm

I wondered right away of the data he sent me, was his setup - off kilter that day? I see no issues going up to even more powder !

ROs & I decided to trust his tweaked QL data, @ 50 K.--- Fine. Then ROS & I shot a higher charge last January-- results were speedy, and a boringly wimpy primer ...

Less flattened than factory A max's- boring... Then I went a grain higher- same boring results.. RL 7.

I truly think this is the magical round, it can defy logic, it can outperform a many other rounds, It hits hard on game- very accurate at longer range - due to the 6.5 mm ability to buck the winds, penetrate deeply, and hold station till target is smoked.

The Key, is to study all of the reload cookbooks, find a guy to guide you, help understand this all.

QL is marginal , as far as accuracy is concerned. pressure data too. Use it as a step stone, to get some READING materials.! Study !

A tic over published data is okay, on this round if you have loaded before. Be careful.

I have been in left field for 7 years now. I brew my own, by making a flow chart from known data- plus my data on pressure signs.

An experimenters dream pill, the 6.5mm in Grrr trim. This is a version of nirvana for us that love this round.

Use known data, until you can explain your loads, and target results, and etc !!!

Don't go down the same lane that I did. Skip the rabbit holes- learn more, study more, .
    Last edited by sneaky one; 03-09-2016, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Getting some 107's, & 92.6 SMK's to try

Comment

• pdq5oh
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2015

I shot some of the 107s and had very good accuracy. 27.5-28.5 gr of 8208 shot the same size groups. Many were .25 MOA or better at 100 yds. Best COAL in my rifle was 2.250. I didn't get any more because SSTs shot close to as well and are much cheaper. Now seeing the BC is actually closer to the SSTs than I thought, I may revisit the 107s.
        Phil

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I need to confirm the BC's at 1000yds. 600yds isn't enough resolution to make me happy, as I would only see .3 mils of variation out that far. It's measurable for sure, but I would like to see what they do at 1000yds.

Once I find a load I'm comfortable with, I'll take it out to 1000yds on the clean gong.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SteveFrench
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2015

Does anyone have any experience with these on coyotes?

Comment

• borderpatrol
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2016

I've been using 26.0 grains of VihtaVuori N530 with 107 grain SMK's. Always under an inch if I don't make a mistake, lots of five shot half-inch groups that tells me it's a keeper.

Comment

• superslack
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2015

Did the 107 SMK/8208XBR load end up working out well?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Haven't tested them yet. I'm building up a large assortment of different loads I need to test, including:

95gr GS Customs HV
                  100gr Barnes TTSX
                  107gr SMK
                  129gr ABLR

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I just wanted to update this thread as it was brought up. I'm sure I posted the results in another thread, but in case anyone came across this one, it's nice to have the results.

Lilja 318 17.6" Wasp profile (very light) barrel fired on 17MAY2016, 64˚F

28.5 2562fps
                    28.8 2579
                    29.1 2624
                    29.4 2626
                    29.7 2655
                    30.0 2658

This was with a 2009-2010 lot of 8208XBR if I recall correctly. From what I've seen, I won't load much over 29gr under the 107gr SMK. Notice the large jump from 28.8gr to 29.1gr? That's a 45fps increase for .3gr, which is a potential departure from the trend if it duplicates. Small cases get dicey when loaded to max fill with faster powders.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 4185linder
                      Unwashed
                      • Aug 2020

Barrel length with this load? Thanks.

Originally posted by Heinz57grendel View Post
                      This is my go to load and by far my favorite bullet. 107 smk lapua case 29.3 gr of 8208 with a cci 450 primer. Shoots .5 moa consistently
                      I like the sound of this, I have a 20 and 16 inch grendel...what are you running this load through? Thanks

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                        Warrior
                        • May 2017

Originally posted by 4185linder View Post
                        I like the sound of this, I have a 20 and 16 inch grendel...what are you running this load through? Thanks
                        Heinz hasn't posted in two years, you might not get an answer.
                        Original posting was 2016.

Comment

Working...
                        X