QL Max operating pressure.

5.56 Nato=62,366psi
    223 Rem (SAAMI)=55,000psi
    30 Rem AR=55,000psi

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mseric View Post
      What powder are you using? Longdayjake is getting 2800fps out of his 20 inch barrel with AA 2230 and 100gr bullets.
      That's an Xterminator load.

Comment

RE QL Max Operating Pressure:

MSERIC, Thanks! My computer is a Mac, so QL is on one my son's Windows computers. Can't get to it as easily as I'd like, but it works after a fashion.

I understand that the Max Operating Pressures are based either on SAAMI or CIP when the cartridge has been registered by one or both. The CIP pressures seem to be a tad higher than the SAAMI. This could be a result of the piezo crystal being in a slightly different location on the case.

Back to the quest for 3k fps with 100 gr!

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          That's an Xterminator load.
          I went to the Ramshot LoadGuide and found that the maximum Terminator load for the 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip gets 2709 ft/sec from a 20" tube.

My velocity estimator indicates that a 24" barrel would get about 2785.

Going to the 28" gets an expect value very close to 2850 with a 65% possibility that the real value is between 2799 and 2898 feet per second.

I don't know the trends between Ballistic Tip and Bergers with respect to velocity, but one can infer from the calculations that 2900+ (a skosh) might be possible with the right bullet and not exceed the 51,920 PSI listed by Ramshot for their load.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
            Have you checked the default pressure values in the QuickLoad database?

The Hodgdon website shows one load of 52,900 for the 30 RAR and has loads upwards of 62,000 psi for the WSSM. This, coupled with those big case diameters, explains why the 30RAR and the WSSM implementations have different and larger bolts.
            The 30RAR & the WSSM uppers are using a modified AR-10 bolt/barrel extension and a modified Ar-15 carrier to accommodate that larger bolt. I hope no one with a Ar-15 size bolt will use the 30 RAR or WSSM load data as an excuse to load a caliber that uses the smaller bolt to a similar pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
              I went to the Ramshot LoadGuide and found that the maximum Terminator load for the 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip gets 2709 ft/sec from a 20" tube.

My velocity estimator indicates that a 24" barrel would get about 2785.

Going to the 28" gets an expect value very close to 2850 with a 65% possibility that the real value is between 2799 and 2898 feet per second.

I don't know the trends between Ballistic Tip and Bergers with respect to velocity, but one can infer from the calculations that 2900+ (a skosh) might be possible with the right bullet and not exceed the 51,920 PSI listed by Ramshot for their load.
              QL data.
              100gr Nosler BT
              20 inch barrel= 2710fps
              24 inch barrel= 2810fps
              28 inch barrel= 2890fps

Calculate with 100gr Berger
              20 inch= 2708fps
              24 inch= 2809fps
              28 inch= 2889fps

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

WELL....I'm in the ballgame then, I've seen as much as 100-200 FPS variation from barrel to barrel with the same load, so my 2900+ is within that variation!

Comment

Originally posted by mseric View Post
                  QL Max operating pressure.

5.56 Nato=62,366psi
                  223 Rem (SAAMI)=55,000psi
                  30 Rem AR=55,000psi
                  somebody please help on what woody at CSS uses for chamber (reamer) dimentsions
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I'm going to try for 3k next sat. I was going to with mseric, but he may not make it to the range that day . Can't decide between 3031, or 8208. Any thoughts? It will be used for 85 grn. too. I've been studying all the data, still can't decide. murf, check your pm's.

Comment

Sneaky I have not tried either powder.
                      Looking at the IMR online data 8208 gives up 12 fps to H335 with about 2K less pressure at the Max load for each powder (C.O.A.L is 2.200" and a 100gr pill nosler) No mention of 3031 within that weight though.
                      For the 85grs max load of H335 32.0grs C.O.A.L 2.240" is 2956 fps with 49,300psi ??
                      HTH
                      Reguards
                      Murf

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Murf- I sent an email to IMR about 3031 & the Grr. , to see if they even tried it out. Iv'e thought of using 335 too, as it will cover a nice spectrum of the bullets I use . I'll probably get all 3 this sat. I spoke with mseric last nite for a while, I teased him on his (DARE to reach 3000) He said he was just curious as to the response he'd get....... yet,,,, some of us are in the game. UMMMMMMM , no bbl. lengths were set-up or any perameters,sooooo. Use whatever you want. Bwaites will prob. win. = 28" bbl. I Hope to get 2nd. Maybe we should all post a pic. of our primer still in place, after the shot. Any thoughts?? Bwaites is busy this wknd? Let's have a safe dare guys. ( yes, I'll use a much better camera, to post with).

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Thanks for your help murf, it is leaning me in one direction. Oops, forgot to mention the fact that these powders will only be used for GMX bullets-wts. of 78-95,, and the latest fav. bonded unit- the hornady Interbond 112gr. I asked toolofthetrade to send me that 129 gr. unit he h2o tested a while back and posted a pic of., , plus a new one,,, AND, a 120 barney TTSX to check out. ( more on the 120-10gr. ttsx -later) His 129- after going thru two ( actually 1.5 pails) of 5gallon pails end-end did awesome, still weighed 123grn. that's better than the accubond ! as (- It lost 30gr.) ,, yet we each chose a diff. h2o jug setting. I went for side by side half gal. juice jugs-ocean spray type units.= Tuff plastic, plus layer , after,,,layer-- still looking for the best powder for my needs, as the gmx needs to be loaded for a 10 grn. heavier bullet idea, than what it really weighs,, hmmmm. Oh, yes I am using a one of a kind bullet to try and reach 3000k. I know I'll hit 2950 easily.,,,.. DO NOT TRY THIS!!!. Anyone! Most Factory bullets in the 100 gr. class won't make it. Don't bother. I may still quit upon the idea.. Damn mseric- you are an instegater, just like my brother...,.,.,.,

Comment

Bud,
                            you will have to do what your on line name says sneak up on 3K, 1 tenth at a time. Durn spikes in pressure when passing max is a B**** to work cept slowly. Just looking at data H335 "might" be a good canidate just be safe and don't jump too far too fast on her.
                            Still working the accuracy issues with my Rifle thus far will hold MOA of a barn. Warped and LR1955 has been kind enough to offer suggestions. Looks Like I will need to take her back down and recheck componets, maybe re-crown lose 1/2" - 1" of barrel ( make her a 23" cool odd length barrel). This time Loctite the barrel in the upper (failed to do so on the build) and retorque it in , Might change the Float tube in the process use a carbine length this time.
                            Worst case is new barrel /bolt Time I am looking at CSS (28") if I have to go this route. Think I try to work this one first and save a buck or two. Although I like the thought of a LW barrel more than a Shaw hehe. But the Shaw should do the job I only expect 1 MOA from the Shaw.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Murf I'll be okay. I'll have my ballistic guy next to me, an expert on all things- related to shooting, reloading, hunting., ---- probably - also mseric- if he can get there-. And maybe one other engineer,, Mr. psi, Jr. (( Yes, I am the Lucky One also.... Many friends - relatives, have gone down the schooling path to be an engineer -- I tried it back in the day- decided to be a hands on engineer instead. ))==== I am not a slave to a computer design== I freelance. I have more fun with actual ideas that I can correctlly produce- for fun! And my stuff works -Great!! None of these eng.'s I know have ever thought of bullet design changes, until I mentioned it,, then they all wanted in... life is fun, enjoy it.

Comment

Did a little load testing with IMR 3031 today.

18 inch barrel
                                100gr Nosler BT 2.250 OAL
                                AA Brass
                                Rem 7 1/2 Primers
                                3 rounds each

27gr IMR 3031
                                2558fps, 2607fps, 2581fps
                                QL data, 2510fps

27.5gr IMR 3031
                                2631fps, 2643fps, 2621fps
                                QL data, 2558fps

28gr IMR 3031
                                2699fps, 2712fps, 2687fps
                                QL data, 2606fps

28.5gr IMR 3031
                                2752fps, 2760fps, 2744fps
                                QL data, 2654fps

29gr IMR 3031
                                2822fps, 2794fps, 2810fps
                                QL data, 2701fps

29.5gr IMR 3031
                                2854fps, 2849fps, 2825fps
                                QL data, 2749fps

I checked my Chrony results against my 100gr TTSX loads with 28.5gr of H-322. These loads normally come it at 2700-2750fps. Today the three that I fired came in at 2703, 2721, 2709fps. My Max load of 28.5gr H-322 with 100gr Nosler BT came in at 2711, 2699, 2698fps.

I did not see anything that I could consider high pressure with any of the 3031 loads today.

By my crude calculations a 2850fps load out of an 18 inch barrel should run just about 3007fps out of a 24 inch barrel.

Comment

Working...
                                X