X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

mseric---Laptop busy , eh? Bored? Guess what is in the vorks for next sat. ? You are an awaited guest at my fav. shoot spot. You have to show up- and at least bring some powder zamples. Got eet? Hip- hop yo vay down the Admiral road. Nice work, I got a lb. of 8208 today, me -like.

Comment

Any new updates from you guys?

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Well, I can't speak for- m.e.- but I'll give it a try in a few weeks . We talked of how we didn't set any guidelines/ peramiters on things like, bbl. length, powder choices, hunting or target style bullets,etc. His bbl. is 18", mine a 20". I hit 2859, with a tweaked 100gr. Barnes, cut from the front of a 130 TSX., extra grooves=less bearing surface, and still a fine hunting unit. The reason it wouldn't go faster is lack of powder capacity with the x-term I chose= full , very full. Primers and other hi-press. signs were perfectly wimpy, it would have taken more,(how about a Grendel Ackley Improved, or a 40 degree Turbo?? My thoughts are on the 3031 m.e. started this thread with, and maybe RL 7-Rl 10. LR1955 tried RL10 and got worried , he said he couldn't find a ceiling/ hot spot to stop at. RL 7 is used by Federal to load the ak rounds-123.grn. To save time, and some cash-I'll tweak/put a double groove in some old H. 100 's, and some nosler 100's to get close to the 3k area, before I start to use the tsx's.. I have some help with ideas from my bud in the ballistics lab. If Federal ever decides to load the Grendel,, wheee, just think of all the test data I'll get?, to pass along???? So, Bwaites has a 28" bbl. He could easily hit 3000-3075 with one of my bullets.mseric kinda was thinking outloud with his inquiry on 3 k., probably thinking of his rifle-using the data on the 3031 powder. Stop!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not use that data to try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you think you want to try for 3k, with 3031--- start 5 grains lower!!!!! The issue is the bullet lengths,bearing surfaces. He didn't put this out there as a dare! Merely-a thought. Also, set the chrono 16-18' from muzzle, shoot a bullet of known speed-one you've shot before-and don't make up stories, I'll sniff out the B.S."ers. Read the chrono instr. for proper height of bullet passing thru. 4", I think. phew! Does that answer your question? hee!
        Last edited by sneaky one; 02-08-2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I I knew how to push a 100gr partition or NBT through a 28 inch Encore barrel at 3000fps I would order one.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

hm2, I have a recipe. Trying for a better one-is all.. I'll let everyone know what becomes of this-if anything. Damn, I wish I had access to a test bbl. setup. hmmmm.........who do we know- here- that has one.........hmmmm..... I wonder how to tease him into this, in his -off-time, hmmmm..... I could tease further with a few bullets to try?.... hmmmmm..... how sneaky can I be ?? ( hm2--pm me. We can chat.

Comment

I chronographed a load this morning that went over 3000fps with a 100gn Nosler Ballistic Tip seated over 31gn of a local powder started by a Rem 7.5 primer. 21inch barrel.
              Avg was 3020fps, ES 6.7fps, SD 3fps. You would think accuracy would be good wouldn't you? It was horrible, with groups hovering around 1.25inches.

The powder used is not available in the USA, and I'm running a bolt action so my pressure limits are higher than those from an AR. I will be backing this load off and starting again as I am chasing accuracy, not velocity.

Trying for a one hole group @ 100m with a velocity around 2800fps.

I'd really like to chat with someone who has Quickload.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Interesting, that bullet has a great accuracy reputation in the Grendel, I used to regularly shoot .25 inch groups from my 19.5 inch over BLC2.

With that ES and SD, I would expect good accuracy, but some barrels and some bullets......

Comment

Adamjp, I get best accuracy with my NBT bullets when I seat them VERY close to the rifeling lands. It also increases pressure they tell me.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, my OAL was 2.265, plenty left in the magazine so longer might be the go.

If I can get the time tomorrow I will be heading to the range with scales, powder and bullets with a lightweight press. On the spot load development is called for as I have become annoyed when I consider the number of bullets downrange for the results.

Will also sacrifice one case to fit it up to the Stoney Creek jigger and get length exactly.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

adam, how far was the chrono from the muzzle? I'm drilling holes in my portable shooting table for my press, this am.

Comment

The Chronograph front screen was just over 2m (about 7feet), maybe as much as 8 feet from the muzzle. I don't measure it exactly, but I do put it in pretty much the same spot every time.

The Chorno was working fine as it had a brand new battery put in there when I opened it up. It gave repeatable numbers for the Grendel, the 243 Model 7 and my 338 Win Mag No.1. Deer season started a week ago, but it's been too wet to get anywhere near the properties I have permission to shoot on so going to the range is the next best thing.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Adam, try 5.4 meters=16 ft. at the minimum distance. The blast from all rifles can throw the results askew... I've studied this for a while now. The best results are from 16---22 ft. It's better to know the truth, than to live a life in a lie. Try it out , you'll like the results.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 03-12-2012, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, but I don't agree. I've been running this Chronograph for the last 10 years, always the same way. The numbers it generates are validated on paper by way of drop and I am confident in it's accuracy. The only times it has given false readings are when the battery is low or the light is low.

I see no need to put it further downrange than it is. It is interesting to note that the cable from the sensors to the readout only allows a maximum of 10ft from the muzzle on models made by Shooting Chrony and CED. I can't speak for Ohlers as almost nobody has them anymore and I have not seen one in years. Perhaps the new designs of chronographs are better able to separate bullet from gas? No that gas is much of a problem with the Grendel, but it certainly is with a 18.5inch barreled Remington Model 7 in 243!

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I trust my chrono at those distances- and no other. One forum member was proud of his results--- at 4 ft.!! He gained an extra 200fps., He thought true muzzle velocity is as to close the bbl'; as can be ! Yikes. Trust me - try it out a bit. ! 10 feet is too close., Ask rasp65 about blowing the sky screens off- with his .375 H&H..... at 10 feet.... Try something different. , your result of 3000 fps. seemed a bit over the top. Calm down., I'm on your side - with the interest in this. We are all in this together- whatever we seek. This mid range 6.5 is the best hunting cartridge I've found- so far.

Comment

• rasp65
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2011

Sneaky You are always bragging about the length of your cables. Unfortunately I have short cables. But the chicks still like me.

Comment

Working...
                                X