• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BenchRider View Post
    I've pushed the 123 gr Amax's with 30.3 gr of AA2520. The 123 gr Scenars started to go wild after 29.0 gr of AA2520. the 29.5 gr load was sharp in recoil and was REALLY flattening the primers. Didn't see cratering, but it felt like I was getting too close. I wrote down the chrono data for all these, but I can't remember where I left it. Probably not relevant anyway as my barrel is 28 inches.

The data from Hodgdon's website for XBR 8208 didn't look like it would do as well with the 123 gr bullets.
    I'm going to put together a series of loads for the Amax and Scenar using TAC because people keep saying it's clean, accurate, and develops lots of velocity.

Perhaps LR1955 has a max load of TAC for the 123 gr bullets? I promise to start a grain lower or so.
    Guys:

No, I don't have a max load that is over anything Alexander has printed. Others here have gone a grain or so past what Alexander has printed and have always backed off. Particularly after they shear a bolt lug or two.

I am getting the idea that although 2520 appears to give the highest velocity with the fewest visual pressure signs that it may not be too healthy for the bolt once you get to its maximum loads.

Perhaps the real issue is how much a guy believes that another 25 fps is important.

LR1955

Comment

• BenchRider

I should have known that LR1955 would provide sage advice and refer us to loading data that has been verified with pressure testing -- silly me.

I could've phrased the question better by asking what an ACCURATE load of TAC behind a 123 gr Amax, a Scenar, and a Matchking might be. Get me started hunting in the right neighborhood for the accuracy node MOST people find with this specific powder and bullets in this weight.

On the question of how much 25 fps is worth, I would say not much. 100 fps on the ballistics program I'm using says it's worth about 250 ft/lbs of energy and about 10 less MOA of elevation at 1000 yards with the same BC (0.510). If I lose accuracy to get that 100 fps, it ain't worth diddly --- because there's no chance of putting it on target to use the energy.

It's an optimization problem. I love optimization. I bought/built my Grendel because a lot of the optimization was built into the cartridge and the AR platform, but still left me (lots of, actually) room to optimize my loads.

Comment

I missed the question earlier: I have a Les Baer Grendel 6.5 with a 16 inch barrel.

Comment

• Leethal25
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2021

Hey all you Grendel Masters long time reader first time asking for advice. Have any of you loaded with VVN135 and either Hornady 130 gr. ELDMs or Berger 130 gr. OTMs? any advice or load data would be greatly appreciated

Comment

• Zeneffect
            Chieftain
            • May 2020

Originally posted by Leethal25 View Post
            Hey all you Grendel Masters long time reader first time asking for advice. Have any of you loaded with VVN135 and either Hornady 130 gr. ELDMs or Berger 130 gr. OTMs? any advice or load data would be greatly appreciated

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

I would be interested in the LeverRev numbers/results with the 130 OTM Berger. That is my most accurate bullet above 123gr.
                I have a lb of LevRev and haven't had time to try it.

Comment

Working...
                X