• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blue2golf
    Unwashed
    • May 2016

Problem with factory Hornady ammo all of the sudden

So I have about 200 rounds through my upper. First group I shot with the factory Hornady 123gr A-Max were all touching. I loaded some 123gr A-Max over 28.5 grains of 8208xbr and they shot well also. I was at the range yesterday and the hand load were all touching as long as I did my part but the factory ammo was shooting like 1"-1.5" groups consistently. The only thing that has changed on the upper was that I painted the barrel. All the factory ammo was from the same lot#. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be? Both of the different ammunition was in the car most of the day in a case but it wasn't very hot out.
  • Bill Alexander
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2015

What barrel?

Comment

• blue2golf
      Unwashed
      • May 2016

It is an 18" HBAR upper from JSE surplus and I was told by them that Mossberg makes all of their barrels. It's made of 416SS.

Comment

• blue2golf
        Unwashed
        • May 2016

I also shot the factory Hornady a couple of weeks ago at 1000 yards with a friend of mine. I shot two milk jugs with it at that distance. Each was a second round hit so it seems odd to me that painting the barrel is the only thing that changed. Our elevation was about 5000 feet so that helped with bullet drop a bit. The ammo lot# is 3153291in case anyone is interested.

Comment

• blue2golf
          Unwashed
          • May 2016

I almost forgot, the twist rate on that barrel is 1:8. Thanks for the assistance.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by blue2golf View Post
            It is an 18" HBAR upper from JSE surplus and I was told by them that Mossberg makes all of their barrels. It's made of 416SS.
            B2G:

You found your answer. I would guess that if it wasn't you, it was the Mossberg barrel and probably some JSE parts and workmanship thrown in.

Yes, mediocre and poor barrels will do what you describe.

LR55

Comment

• jurassic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Maybe a trip to a gunsmith with a borescope to see if something is wrong. Is it possible something came loose, or a problem with the scope?

Comment

• blue2golf
                Unwashed
                • May 2016

So I had one of our snipers shoot it as well. I alternated between the factory loads and the hand loads for rack group as did he. Same results. I got what I could afford at the time so if I wind up needing a better barrel I'll get one and install it. I'm going to try to figure it out first. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by blue2golf View Post
                  So I had one of our snipers shoot it as well. I alternated between the factory loads and the hand loads for rack group as did he. Same results. I got what I could afford at the time so if I wind up needing a better barrel I'll get one and install it. I'm going to try to figure it out first. Thanks for the help.
                  B2G:

Absolutely. Look the rifle over first for anything that may be obvious. A thorough check is a must. Something may be broken or loose. When you find out that nothing you can see or test is broken or loose, buy a barrel that you will be satisfied using.

I imagine Mossberg makes hunting grade barrels. One day they may be stellar and the next, they suck. Chances are they are fine for the general public who uses them for a month a year to blast an animal at fifty or a hundred yards. Not so great for most on this forum.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                  X