Wolf Steel Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see if the Russians really get this right ? Lord knows it taken long enough...and still no real guarantee it's actually going to be in stores the first
    quarter 0f 2013.

Let's see how clean burning and accurate it's going to be...? HHHMMM, better not get our hopes up to high though...The Russians were never
    accused of delivering clean burning & accurate ammo in bulk, so the proof is going to be once it's fired through some real American hardware.

Comment

• Would be interesting to see, if it were to actually happen?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

i shot some of the hornady steel match in 223 the other day it was pretty good though it cost more than the wolf stuff it was not filthy ant shot pretty well i would still like to see a cheap wolf load though but i would like to see hornady load it in steel as well
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• hellcat370

I'd love to see Hornady make some steel case Grendel as well. I called them last year and asked about it after using thier 75gr steel match to take a couple nice deer. Unfortunately, they didn't seem overly interested. Perhaps if a bunch of us start hounding them about it, they would change thier minds

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hellcat370 View Post
            I'd love to see Hornady make some steel case Grendel as well. I called them last year and asked about it after using thier 75gr steel match to take a couple nice deer. Unfortunately, they didn't seem overly interested. Perhaps if a bunch of us start hounding them about it, they would change thier minds
            Wonder who makes their cases for them? Maybe the Russians?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

The horny steel cases almost seem powder coated compared to the laquer of the Russian stuff I don't imagine there is enough demand for them to produce a steel grendel...yet but I hand load almost exclusively at this point so its not a huge deal it would just be nice to have some steel stuff for when I don't feel like policing brass... I guess that's what wolf brass is for...
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Its not powder coating, its polymer, and the Russians do both. Interestingly, in extensive testing, the lacquer actually runs better in most guns. Americans don't like it as a rule, so the polymer is more commonly used on steel case used and sold here for American calibers.

Comment

• I like the idea of as many of us as posible sending them E mails a couple of times a week for a month. Call it "voting with your fingers". I may help them get off the dime and costs us nothing. Anyone out there interested?

Comment

• mtn_shooter

4/23/2008
                    Taking a long look back at the last 4-5 years, I'm quickly growing doubt.

How long did it take for several manufacturers to start making barrels, bolts, magazines, brass, ammunition etc.. for this cartridge?

And one of the biggest ammo manufacturers in Russia (Barnaul) can't make it happen in 4+ years?

What is so different between Barnaul and privi partisan that we had "wolf gold" almost right off the bat, but can't manage steel cased blasting ammo?

I don't know that the Russians show as much enthusiasm as Bill Alexander has lead to believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                      [snip]...would just be nice to have some steel stuff for when I don't feel like policing brass... I guess that's what wolf brass is for...
                      Amen brother.. Or those situations where it is just not possible to pick up your fired cases; a 3 gun match for example..

flk k

Comment

• Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                        I like the idea of as many of us as posible sending them E mails a couple of times a week for a month. Call it "voting with your fingers". I may help them get off the dime and costs us nothing. Anyone out there interested?
                        I think they would listen to their distributors more than just an average Joe customer.. If a dealer calls and asks for 10 cases, and other follow suit, that will get their attention..

Remember, their customers are their distributors.. flk k

Comment

• hellcat370

To a certain extent yet, but it is the end user that ultimately pays thier bills. Without anyone to buy from the distributors, they would not have reason to order more product. Keep in mind that Hornady designed the 123 A-Max specifically for the Grendel, and were the first, and only, major American manufacturer to produce Grendel ammo for a reasonable cost in comparison to other factory loadings. Its all about supply and demand, if the demand is there, and they can make money on a product, they will make it. And I would rather pay a couple dollars extra for some quality American made products, than have it shipped over from Russia. I've already sent an email to them, who else is on the bandwagon?!

Comment

• Originally posted by hellcat370 View Post
                            To a certain extent yet, but it is the end user that ultimately pays thier bills. Without anyone to buy from the distributors, they would not have reason to order more product. Keep in mind that Hornady designed the 123 A-Max specifically for the Grendel...
                            Three excellent points!

One can infer that a way to encourage steel case Grendel from Hornady is to buy lots of their cartridges and bullets in addition to the communications campaign. The purchases help reward their having leaned forward for us.

Who to talk to? Well, it doesn't hurt to talk with Hornady. Getting to the distributors is a little more challenging because they don't seem to advertise as much as the manufacturers and the retail outlets.

Looking forward to seeing how things develop!

Comment

• Hornady also makes a 123gr SST load in 7.62x39, so it is reasonable to expect them to crank out a Grendel load steel case in the near future.

As far as Russian enthusiasm, those words put together are an oxymoron, but they have dedicated an entire manufacturing line for the Grendel steel case, rather than intermitent runs on machinery shared with other calibers.

You also have several nations looking at a new military caliber for their small arms, and Grendel makes a lot of sense to certain people, so I sense that things are brewing beneath the surface, especially in Eastern Europe.

Comment

• hellcat370

The problem with the Hornady 7.62x39 ammo is its actually rather expensive, 45.17 for a box of 50rds, which translates to 18.06 per 20rds. They also just came out with a 123gr Z-Max at 23.24 per 20rd. Yet thier 75gr steel match .223 is 29.84 per 50, and around 18.00 on cheaperthandirt. I'm curious why the cost difference. Fewer pp interested in shooting 7.62 accurately? If Hornady does come out with a steel case Grendel round, I hope its closer to the .223 price! Anyone heard anything new on the Wolf steel case? I called AA and was told the guns had made it into Russia, but that was it.

Comment

Working...
                                X