• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
    Yes, the Russians have finalized the projectile design and also the powder.

Powder is to be a derivative of the type sold by Western Powders and is extremely stable, especially in the cold. It is a double base ball type and will be loaded to 3550 bar in line with the existing weapon and ammunition set up. The cases are now set to use a small primer and will use a boxer design rather than the berdan we originally tested. This simplifies compatibility with the less enthusiastic fire control group in the AR while at the same time allows the ammunition to work with the AK without problems related to primer failure.

The projectile closely follows the design of the 7n6 5.45x39.5 in that it is a boat tail design with an internal cavity in the projectile nose. Constraints on the length of the projectile restrained the weight to 100 grains as we transitioned from a lead core to a steel core. This is lighter than we initially proposed but the combination of bullet weight and powder will provide a fast low recoil combination for the carbines. Ogive is 10 diameters and the boat tail is 9 degrees which is optimum, I anticipate the Bc to be around 0.390 but this is an estimate.

A heavy type ball is also being examined for a longer range type weapon.
    That sounds awesome!!! I can hardly wait to get some to try out.!

Any velocity data or bullet sections?

ETA: I'm currently sitting in my deer stand with this 14.5" suppressed Grendel....

While I'm using Hornady factory123 Amax, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to switch over to the Russian load for the purpose of research. I wouldn't expect it to perform the same as a hunting load, but I'd definitely take (and post) pictures of any carnage I could cause with it.

The only reason I haven't shot a deer (I've seen many) is because I haven't seen "The One" yet.LOL If I juuuust had some steel case 6.5 Grendel 7n6 ammo, then the next available deer of any decent size would then become "The One".

I'm on leave until after Christmas, and I've got three weeks of firearms season.... Hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge....!LOL
    Last edited by Variable; 11-19-2012, 04:22 PM.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by P-P View Post
      Yeah! Inexpensive reloadable 6.5G rounds!!!!
      This is STEEL case, remember. No one recommends reloading steel case, regardless of which primer system is used.

Steel does not have the same elastic properties as brass, and although some people have reloaded steel and gotten away with it, it isn't recommended by anyone I can find.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Wow! Maybe a light at the end of the tunnel ? Never try to reload steel cases. Read up upon this. It's One shot only ammo. Recycle the steel. It's same as CCI blazer alum. cased ammo--= just have fun , then it's done.

Comment

• Yeah but the best part of stell cases is you don't have to feel guilty about not picking up the cases.. For matches this is the cat's meow. Thinking about that, I wouldn't mind shooting a feral cat on my ranch with a Grendel.. Here Kitty, here kitty <LOL>.. flk k

Comment

• Originally posted by fkleinbu View Post
            Yeah but the best part of stell cases is you don't have to feel guilty about not picking up the cases.. For matches this is the cat's meow. Thinking about that, I wouldn't mind shooting a feral cat on my ranch with a Grendel.. Here Kitty, here kitty <LOL>.. flk k
            Amen to that! It seems like I spend more time picking up brass than shooting!

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Agreed, steel cases in the woods will simply rust away, and for range clean up a magnet makes short work of "brass" call.
              Last edited by Variable; 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM. Reason: Confounded ipad missspelling...

Comment

• hellcat370

Bill,
                Since thier going with a lighter projectile, whats the velocity likely to be from a 16-18 inch barrel? And did you say STEEL CORE?! Is this an AP round, or some other type of penetrator ammo? Can't wait to buy some, whatever type comes in

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                  Yes, the Russians have finalized the projectile design and also the powder.

The projectile closely follows the design of the 7n6 5.45x39.5 in that it is a boat tail design with an internal cavity in the projectile nose. Constraints on the length of the projectile restrained the weight to 100 grains as we transitioned from a lead core to a steel core. This is lighter than we initially proposed but the combination of bullet weight and powder will provide a fast low recoil combination for the carbines.
                  That sounds muy excellente, Bill. Interestingly, it's just what some of us discussed for a potential military load.

But, I have to wonder if steel core bullets will be a problem. IIRC, Chinese steel core 7.62x39 ammo was banned for import.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                    That sounds muy excellente, Bill. Interestingly, it's just what some of us discussed for a potential military load.

But, I have to wonder if steel core bullets will be a problem. IIRC, Chinese steel core 7.62x39 ammo was banned for import.
                    Chinese steel core: Yes, it was banned using the BS "pistol ammo" argument, but a copy of the 5.45mm 7n6 bullet should be fine. They have already (and continue to do so) allowed metric crap-tons of it to be imported from Russia. Same bullet as already being imported, just a different caliber. It should fly. They'd have a difficult time explaining why it was verbotten if not. Just my guess based on logic.... We know how far that goes with the .gov sometimes though.....

Keep your fingers crossed! Just think how P.O.'ed the 6.8 crowd will be if we get our greedy fingers on this stuff!

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                      Chinese steel core: Yes, it was banned using the BS "pistol ammo" argument, but a copy of the 5.45mm 7n6 bullet should be fine. They have already (and continue to do so) allowed metric crap-tons of it to be imported from Russia. Same bullet as already being imported, just a different caliber. It should fly.
                      I hope you're right. Steel core 6.5 Grendel would be too cool.

Interesting that the Russians had control over this matter. Opting for steel core bullets makes me wonder if they might in fact be doing concurrent development of 6.5 Grendelski for their military.

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

That's what I was thinking.

Comment

• Steel cored is no bueno at our ranges. The ranges are leased from the Forestry and they do not allow steel core bullets. Neither does Front Sight.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by afpumpman View Post
                            Steel cored is no bueno at our ranges. The ranges are leased from the Forestry and they do not allow steel core bullets. Neither does Front Sight.
                            Well, I can certainly see your point. That would be a damper for the public range guys. But-- If the round is any good at all, it should sell like hot cakes and will likely spawn the heavier load Mr. Alexander mentioned in the same post. Then there would be some wholesome goodness for all.

If it's worth even half a hoot I promise to buy as much as I possibly can to help provide impetus for introducing the heavy load too. See the things I try to do to help out?

ETA: Hey, I just noticed I made "Chieftain" Woot Woot! Gimme steel core Grendel!!!!!
                            Last edited by Variable; 11-22-2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• Well guys, it's now 2013. Anyone care to guess when we will be able to get some?

Comment

• About the same time my 26 round magazines ship. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X