Wolf Steel Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $6- $7 a box would be great price point for me.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

When the pre-production, steel case ammo was here, nobody who had some was willing to do gel tests with it.

I was going to ask if there are any plans for gel tests of the production ammo, but since the steel-core bullet has been succeeded by a plain ol' lead-core projectile, I guess it no longer matters...

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

The Russians are a bit unpredictable. Bill was shown steel core projectiles. Now they've switched the production ammo to lead core. Under the circumstances, with the ban on steel core 5.45x39, I think it's very much for the best.

Bill will be gel testing the production ammo, although I think he agrees with Stan that it's a little moot, and he'd rather have seen what the steel core would have done.

John
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• David Fortier got some to play with. His remarks are here at Arfcom:

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

I believe that is the opener which LRRPF52 used to revive this discussion! Thanks for the link, just the same.

The day has come, Wolf Steel case will soon be available in stores everywhere! Well, soon may be a relative term, but there are actually steel cases in the hands of those who need them to check loads and pressures. David Fortier reports that Wolf has been at the Big 3 meetings he and other members of the press are
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Kikn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2011

Sweet. Cant wait to do some blasting.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                The Russians are a bit unpredictable. Bill was shown steel core projectiles. Now they've switched the production ammo to lead core. Under the circumstances, with the ban on steel core 5.45x39, I think it's very much for the best.
                And inevitable. Even if a batch of the steel-core loads had been imported, the ATF would've soon banned it, causing lead-core bullets to be made for succeeding shipments.
                Bill will be gel testing the production ammo, although I think he agrees with Stan that it's a little moot, and he'd rather have seen what the steel core would have done.
                Moot, yes. But I suppose it might still be of academic interest to a number of people.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

I'm not really convinced steel core would have meant anything different in terms of gel testing. Those steel jackets don't really like to fragment. We shot a cow once, who had broken her leg, with Wolf FMJ 7.62x39 right through the skull. The bullet was found behind the skull in the neck. It was dented and squished (lead pushed out the hole in the back), but never thought of fragmenting.

Maybe steel core would offer a slight bonus for post-barrier terminal effects, but not much else. Either is going to rip through soft armor, and be stopped by sappi plates, so that's a wash. It would be against stuff like bricks, cinder blocks etc.. that you might see a difference.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

This is about what we can expect, maybe more penetration, but about the same interaction.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

Mtn_shooter, thanks for the vid link. Seeing the Silver Bear with its galvanized case reminds me of a little coating discussion I had with Bill A. a couple days ago. He has specified the green lacquer for the 65G steel cases. I asked why not the gray polymer-coated or the silver zinc-coated (galvanized) steel. He said the zinc sticks too much and is only done because it's the cheapest of the cheap; the green lacquer is the best all-round so that's what he specced.

Now, of course, I know there's an opinion (I don't know if it's a consensus) on AR15.com that green lacquer doesn't work in ARs. I'm going to speculate it depends on the chamber design. I guess we'll have yet another debate where Billy Bob gun plumber is second-guessing Bill A's engineering experience in actually designing and manufacturing the things for lo these many years.

Bill anticipated the potential of steel-case from the very beginning and designed the chamber to allow certain tolerances for it. I hope the variant 65G chamberings, which I'm guessing where NOT designed with green lacquer steel-case ammo in mind, don't go having hissy fits if they don't work well with steel-case. They'll be whining, "Ten years ago Bill A. deliberately sabotaged us by designing his chamber to work with a wide variety of bullets AND potentially steel-case ammo and he did some secret something so that our new and improved chambers don't work! It's all HIS fault!"

And so it goes. You heard it here first.

John
                      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                        Mtn_shooter, thanks for the vid link. Seeing the Silver Bear with its galvanized case reminds me of a little coating discussion I had with Bill A. a couple days ago. He has specified the green lacquer for the 65G steel cases. I asked why not the gray polymer-coated or the silver zinc-coated (galvanized) steel. He said the zinc sticks too much and is only done because it's the cheapest of the cheap; the green lacquer is the best all-round so that's what he specced.

Now, of course, I know there's an opinion (I don't know if it's a consensus) on AR15.com that green lacquer doesn't work in ARs. I'm going to speculate it depends on the chamber design. I guess we'll have yet another debate where Billy Bob gun plumber is second-guessing Bill A's engineering experience in actually designing and manufacturing the things for lo these many years.

Bill anticipated the potential of steel-case from the very beginning and designed the chamber to allow certain tolerances for it. I hope the variant 65G chamberings, which I'm guessing where NOT designed with green lacquer steel-case ammo in mind, don't go having hissy fits if they don't work well with steel-case. They'll be whining, "Ten years ago Bill A. deliberately sabotaged us by designing his chamber to work with a wide variety of bullets AND potentially steel-case ammo and he did some secret something so that our new and improved chambers don't work! It's all HIS fault!"

And so it goes. You heard it here first.

John
                        So true!

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Screw the debate. I'm all for direct testing.

SELL AND SHIP ME STEEL CASE GRENDEL NOW!!!!!!!!!
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                              Screw the debate. I'm all for direct testing.

SELL AND SHIP ME STEEL CASE GRENDEL NOW!!!!!!!!!
                              Oooh, it sounds like somebody is in dire need of a group hug...

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

Looks like somebody else got some. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/6...age=2#i6518186

Comment

Working...
                                X