• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trock03
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by jrfarmer View Post
    Am I the only one sitting here a bit jealous with no shipping info from AA yet?!?! Congrats on the order, hopefully mine will ship soon, as with everyone elses'!
    jr,

We're in the same boat. I didn't realize the steel case was live on AAs site until late Wednesday. I probably got my order in too late but maybe my backorder will be the first to ship when the next lot comes in! I'm just happy that there are going to be tons of new threads regarding Wolf range reports.

TC

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

I didn't get an email yet

Comment

• Smokepole50

I got a third email from AA yesterday indicating a "Thank You for your order" and a order number but I haven't seen anyhting form UPS yet. Once they move off that Arsenal it will be faster for me and cheaper to just drive to Pulaski.

Comment

• tackdriver
          Warrior
          • Feb 2013

I am in the same boat as smoke pole!

Comment

• Smokepole50

Is this bullet design exactly like the 5.45 7N6. I hope so, that a wicked terminal performance design.

Comment

• RangerRick

It's as if Bigfoot was seen riding a unicorn, photographed, video taped, and gave a live interview on Fox News.

Grendel ammo for $8 a box, delivered to your door.

They'll be ice skating in Hades tonight. Ordered a case as SHTF ammo if nothing else.

It will be interesting to see if the Grendel jumps in popularity with the 3 gun crowd and with shooters in general.

I hope all the political crap going on doesn't derail this product.

RR

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Smokepole50 View Post
                Is this bullet design exactly like the 5.45 7N6. I hope so, that a wicked terminal performance design.
                Same reply as in the other thread, but for folks who find only one thread later I'll post again in this one----

Well, not exactly. We jumped to conclusions before, and thought that's it'd just be a scaled up 7n6 with the steel penetrator and all. But we were wrong it appears. The cross sections show a core with only lead and a copper washed steel jacket.

Bill A. wrote--- "The projectile closely follows the design of the 7n6 5.45x39.5 in that it is a boat tail design with an internal cavity in the projectile nose. Constraints on the length of the projectile restrained the weight to 100 grains as we transitioned from a lead core to a steel core."

We did get the boat tail and the nose cavity. When he wrote steel core, I think he meant to type steel jacket instead of core. I could be wrong, and maybe something else changed it along the way, but that's what I think happened. Maybe he'll post some clarification if I'm wrong. No matter what I'll likely be happy.

The flip side of this is that while I would have absolutely went nuts for the steel penetrator to have been included, it's probably a good thing they didn't. 5.45 7n6 surplus ammo imports were recently squashed by the ATF, and I doubt they'd let a 6.5 version in. It would have been realllllyyyy interesting to see how it'd penetrate, but I highly doubt we'd have seen any of it.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
                  It's as if Bigfoot was seen riding a unicorn, photographed, video taped, and gave a live interview on Fox News.

Grendel ammo for $8 a box, delivered to your door.

They'll be ice skating in Hades tonight. Ordered a case as SHTF ammo if nothing else.

It will be interesting to see if the Grendel jumps in popularity with the 3 gun crowd and with shooters in general.

I hope all the political crap going on doesn't derail this product.

RR
                  Ditto every single word!

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                    Bill A. wrote--- "The projectile closely follows the design of the 7n6 5.45x39.5 in that it is a boat tail design with an internal cavity in the projectile nose. Constraints on the length of the projectile restrained the weight to 100 grains as we transitioned from a lead core to a steel core."

We did get the boat tail and the nose cavity. When he wrote steel core, I think he meant to type steel jacket instead of core. I could be wrong, and maybe something else changed it along the way, but that's what I think happened.
                    Sorry, amigo, but I think he meant steel core. His sentence would make no sense if reworded to "...as we transitioned from a lead core to a steel jacket."

Below, photo posted by bwaites on 26 June:
                    Last edited by stanc; 08-26-2014, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                      Sorry, amigo, but I think he meant steel core. His sentence would make no sense if reworded to "...as we transitioned from a lead core to a steel jacket."

Below, photo posted by bwaites on 26 June:
                      Okay then, try this:

Take-- "as we transitioned from a lead core to a steel core." and reverse it to "as we transitioned from a steel core to a lead core." and I think that 'd explain it. He probably meant one thing and accidentally typed another.

Seeing as how steel cased Wolf Grendel is actually inside the USA, and there appears to be a case of it actually labeled to ship to my house..... I'm willing to give that excellent fellow the benefit of th doubt.LOL

Bill A.: You are beginning to trend higher in the public opinion polls again.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                        Okay then, try this:

Take-- "as we transitioned from a lead core to a steel core." and reverse it to "as we transitioned from a steel core to a lead core." and I think that 'd explain it. He probably meant one thing and accidentally typed another.
                        Mmmm... Well, possibly.
                        Seeing as how steel cased Wolf Grendel is actually inside the USA, and there appears to be a case of it actually labeled to ship to my house.....
                        Yeah, that is what's really important, is it not?

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                          Mmmm... Well, possibly.

Yeah, that is what's really important, is it not?
                          Woohoo!!!!!!

Shiny! Let's be bad guys!

Comment

• I just received notice from UPS my steel cased ammo will be delivered Thursday. I think I just quit breathing!

Comment

• Smokepole50

I expect that with a all lead core there will still be some 7N6 effects upon impact. However, without the mild steel core it won't be the steel puncher and it won't be a fire starter which I am sure was a big concern for 3G events, multiple ranges and the ATF. It would have been a hugh mistake on Bills part to design a bullet that the fed's banned in short order so I am sure some discussions took place prior to final design and importation. It might still be a good hunting bullet on targets at close range where it is still moving fairly fast.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

I did not miss type at the time. We were examining the ability to produce the projectile with a swaged steel core for cost reasons. The change to a lead core was not expected but in light of recent announcements from the ATF was a cautionary move given the popularity of arm braces.

Comment

Working...
                                X