• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

It has finally Arrived.

I called up Melissa earlier today to find out what happened since I got charged but didn't get a tracking number. I had two accounts created from a previous order so at first she said it never went through But she found the other account that it was ordered on and got the tracking number and said it was in route and would be here today; and it just now arrived.

She also said there is another shipment coming in November. So just a couple of Months for those of you that haven't gotten yours yet.

Only chance I'll have of shooting any will be this weekend. After that I don't know when I'd be able to get out and shoot

Last edited by Kikn; 09-02-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• usar_ds
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2014

anyone but me wonder about Mexican matching it?? the idea of being able to run around with my grendel and not having to were a bag or pick up brass seems very appealing.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I FINALLY got mine after 2 30 mile trips to the UPS hub (person on the phone told me the wrong closing time for Saturday ). This signature requirement was a PAIN IN THE ASS! Ok- done venting.

I has ammo!

Gel tests coming soon.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by usar_ds View Post
          anyone but me wonder about mexican matching it?? The idea of being able to run around with my grendel and not having to were a bag or pick up brass seems very appealing.
          yup!

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
            I has ammo!

Gel tests coming soon.
            Fabulous! Looking forward to it.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I got my case of Wolf ammo yesterday and I just came in from my initial red neck ammo test. I first put a small cardboard box with a 9" paper plate stapled to it to use as a target. I put a broken piece of brick in the box to keep the box from moving. Well I over thought this because I was afraid of shooting over the target so I aimed 1 Mildot low. Bang, big puff of red dust and my box was completely ripped open. I was shooting from my back door area down towards the ditch. On the positive side the windage was perfect and the impact was impressive. Needless to say the brick was completely destroyed and the brick exploding ripped the box wide open.

Next I fired into two 2 L pop bottles, an old large mouth wash bottle and a gallon plastic water jug. That is 18" inches of water and the results were impressive. The first bottle showed some yaw on exit but the impact crushed the next to bottles ripping them open with large gaping holes. The last water bottle was thrown 4 feet in the air. The bottle had a big entry hole and an obvious key hole bullet exit so most of the energy was expended. This bullet definitely exhibits early yaw.

I don't think the bullet broke in two like 55 FMJ .224 bullet do when hitting water at close range. I shot these targets at 50 yards and my scope is sighted in for 123 grain factory A-Max. I next fired at a water filled 20 oz pop bottle. On the first shot the bottle kept standing so I quickly fired a 2nd shot. The first entry showed a little yaw on exit but the second shot on the partially full bottle was through and through.

I only shot 4 rounds at 50 yards but the barrel had no residue and was still clean. There were no foul odors and the rounds did not feel wimpy. Ejected case reacted similarly to factory ammo or my reloads. The steel cases looked pretty clean with a little black on the necks. The cases looked good enough to be fired again. I shot these 4 rounds through my J&T 16" chrome moly barrel with Phantom flash hider.

I was expecting more un burnt powder and crud in the upper but there wasn't anything. Accuracy seems very good but hopefully I'll shoot out to 300 yards tomorrow. I loaded the four rounds into an ASC 10 round mag. I plan on trying the ammo in my 25 round mags tomorrow.

If there is a down side I would be concerned about over penetration in a populated area. I think this is going to make an excellent hog round. I think the performance of this round will be similar to the 77 SMK .224 so I feel sure it would take a deer down on a good body shot.
              Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-03-2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• kbarnes12
                Warrior
                • Nov 2011

Now that there is inexpensive steel cased ammo, wasn't it nice of them to drop the price of the Bumpfire stocks to $99.

sigpic
                Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                  I shot these 4 rounds through my J&T 16" chrome moly barrel with Phantom flash hider.
                  Off topic, but does J&T sell a 9/16-24 Phantom for the 65G?
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                    Link: http://jtdistributing.net/store/product478.html
                    Drifter

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post

I bought a complete 6.5 Grendel upper from J&T in 2009 and it shipped with the Phantom flash hider installed. I shot some steel case Wolf ammo at 200 yards today and the groups weren't very good. I can't say for sure if it was me or the ammo. I had a friend shoot my 6.5 Grendel and his groups were about like mine. My J&T 6.5 Grendel barrel is a medium profile chrome Moly barrel with a CAR hand guard. The groups were pretty much minute of man off the bench using a bipod and my Leupold Mark AR 3X9X40 scope. We each shot five round groups which put 3 rounds in about 2" then two fliers away from the other three producing about 5" groups.

With factory A-Max this rifle will stay around 1 MOA to at least 600 yards. I shot some reloaded 123 grain Nosler CC with 31.0 grains of CFE 223 and CCI 450 primers in Hornady brass. I had one group of 2.5" but for the most part this rifle does not like this load either. My Shilen 6.5 Grendel has shot this load into 1 MOA out to 880 yards.

On the positive side the Wolf functioned 100 % in my J&T and wasn't all that dirty to shoot. Probably cleaner than the Wolf brass cased 120 grain Soft Points I shot a few years ago.

The temperature started out in the low 80's and we were shooting with shifting winds. By the time we quit the temperature was in the low 90's with 70+ % humidity.
                      Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-04-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I was able to play with this ammo a little the other night.

I pulled 2 rounds and measured the charges, 28 grains & 27.8 grains. Ball powder.

IMAG0455.jpg

One projectile weighed 100.7 grains. I forgot to weigh the other before I cut it.

IMAG0456_1.jpg

I fired 3 rounds over the chrono out of a 12.5" suppressed barrel, 2378, 2378, 2389. Not a very big sample set but pretty consistent.

All cycled well and fairly clean.

More to come...
                        Last edited by txgunner00; 09-05-2014, 03:12 PM.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• Buster
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                          I was able to play with this ammo a little the other night.

I pulled 2 rounds and measured the charges, 28 grains & 27.8 grains. Ball powder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5555[/ATTACH]

One projectile weighed 100.7 grains. I forgot to weigh the other before I cut it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5554[/ATTACH]

I fired 3 rounds over the chrono out of a 12.5" suppressed barrel, 2378, 2378, 2389. Not a very big sample set but pretty consistent.

All cycled well and fairly clean.

More to come...
                          I really enjoy see the curiosity of forum members going "over and above the call of duty" doing things like this....and then sharing their findings!

Any idea of what kind of powder they are using?

Comment

• arizona98tj
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2013

Disappointed in the results....

My case of Wolf steel cased arrived late last night (sure glad I don't have the UPS driver's job). Since I had a batch of hand loads to run over the chronograph, I decided today was a good day to do that and also see how the Wolf performs.

Skipping ahead to the summary.....I was very disappointed in the Wolf performance. I was hoping for something no worse than 1.5 MOA but basically found this Wolf to be no better nor worse than any other Wolf ammo I've shot. In other words, it is 3~4 MOA ammunition. At least I didn't have any cases stick in the chamber as I switched back and forth between brass and steel. It was stated that this stuff was averaging 1 MOA. What kind of rifle do you need to get that to work? It's not that my rifle doesn't like the lighter weight bullets.....it loves my 95 gr V-Max handloads.

What doesn't make any sense to me is the rather large velocity increase I saw while shooting the 2nd group of Wolf steel (see data below). Perhaps my chrono didn't like slow cooking in the AZ sun for 3 hours, albeit it wasn't really all that warm compared to what it would have been by 2 PM. I shot one other 5 round group (used for fouling the bore) with the Wolf cartridges. I clocked those five at 2667 FPS. They were shot 40 minutes before the other Wolf 5 shot group and had a couple of handload strings fired between them. The 10 shot string of Wolf was shot 3 hours later.

Misc info:
                            I have an Alexander Arms 6.5G Overwatch 24" barrel upper on a polymer lower. It still needs a better trigger but works good enough for now.
                            The optic is a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42. While not as good as the Viper PST FFP I have on my .308 rifle, it will suffice for what this hunting rifle needs to do (white tail, coyotes, etc).
                            Shooting today was from a concrete bench at 100 yards using a Harris bipod and a rear bag.
                            The orange target on the paper is a 1" diameter dot.
                            My chronograph is a CED M2, set at 15' from the muzzle.
                            Temps were 75F to 87F with a corresponding density altitude of 4453' to 4732' during the time I was shooting.
                            Time between any 5 shot group was approximately 15 minutes.
                            The ammo did not sit in the sun and heat soak.
                            A 5 shot string was shot over the course of approximately 60 to 90 seconds.
                            The cartridges used in Targets #1 and #3 were from the same box of 20.
                            There was no wind at the range.

Target info:
                            I've included two of my targets shot with the Wolf ammo, a 5 shot group and the other a 10 shot group. The Target #1 was shot near the beginning of this morning's session and Target #2 was the last group fired, some 3 hours later. Target #3 was one of the numerous handloads I was testing. I included it as a control target, so to speak, to simply show I am not a 3 MOA shooter.

Target #1:
                            5 shots
                            Avg velocity = 2677 FPS
                            SD = 7.8
                            ES = 24

Target #2:
                            10 shots
                            Avg velocity = 2728 FPS
                            SD = 25.1
                            ES = 90
                            Rifle sat for at least 20 minutes in the shade prior to this string.

Target #3:
                            5 shots
                            123 gr A-Max, COAL 2.250"
                            A2230-S Data powder 24.7 gr, CCI450
                            Avg velocity = 2600 FPS
                            SD = 10.0
                            ES = 30

Last edited by arizona98tj; 09-06-2014, 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Buster View Post
                              I really enjoy see the curiosity of forum members going "over and above the call of duty" doing things like this....and then sharing their findings!

I haven't a clue. I can take some closer pictures if that helps someone else identify it.

Comment

• arizona98tj
                                Bloodstained
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Buster View Post
                                Smokeless

Comment

Working...
                                X