X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Runs great for me. No jams when out blasting like a maniac!

Had to replenish my stock during Alexander Arms Black Friday sale: buy 10 boxes, get 5 free.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Drift
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

It's not real accurate. Good to have a couple of cases in the closet

Comment

• GM2
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2015

It's as accurate as you are. At 100-200 yards I haven't had much deviation from my group size with 120gr PPU but past that they do start straying a bit. Have shot through 1,000 rounds of it since getting my rifle last month with no problems.
        Last edited by GM2; 12-17-2015, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• dammitman
          Warrior
          • Dec 2012

i have been pulling the bullets, dumping the powder and reloading with 32.5 grains cfe223 and topping with a hornady 95 grain vmax. its a new experiment and need to do a few more to confirm results.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

DM, cool experiment! Gonna be interesting to see the different characteristics of steel vs. brass. They resize fine? Berdan-primed is not a problem?
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• m796rider
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
              DM, cool experiment! Gonna be interesting to see the different characteristics of steel vs. brass. They resize fine? Berdan-primed is not a problem?
              I'm guessing just pulling the bullets and dumping the powder for new bullets and powder don't require resizing or affect the primer...? Definitely an interesting experiment, though! I'll look forward to hearing results.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                Warrior
                • Sep 2015

my experience with wolf and other steel cases steel jacketed ammo.

it is very spotty on accuracy . one lot might turn in accuracy of 1.5" other lots might go anywhere from 3"-6". so far the 6.5s have been doing right up there with the best .223 steel ammo all i have shot so far has been just under 2'". the steel jackets on the bullets don't help accuracy , nor does the cheap powder and some what inconstant bullet sizes. the 6.5 ammo though does seem more constant than other cals of steel i have used--so far. you could probably pull the bullets and the powder and use a conventional copper;lead bullet and your own powder and get good accuracy -- from just the case-primer. hornady has done this with 5.56--steel match.

the factory load i haven't shot it at long range yet- i suspect the groups grow a bit more than "normal" but this is just my guess from shooting their 5.56-7.62-308 for years-- at short range the 6.5 g load seems accurate -- i have hit soom very small targets out to 200m and at 50M have stacked holes--- good enough for casual shooting .

the 6.5g wolf steel is a sort of light load it fires a light bullet at low pressure . it still gets good velocity.

dirty-dirty-dirty though--lol

the bullets are light in the front -- i suspect they would bust a hog or varmit pretty good.

back in the 70s the DOD fired 50,000 rounds or so of steel 5.56 through m-16s and they determined there was no significant wear-- it is not clear if they used steel bullets with the steel cases--

i don't think i would put many steel bullets through a $600 barrel uber match barrel. simply cause i suspect they will wear it a bit quicker.

a moly steel barrrel even better a chrome lined moly or nitride over moly steel is no problem. spinta has a 6.5g/264 moly 20" for $150 that has got wolf printed on it--lol--

as far as reliable i have good experiences with it -- other than one or two deep set primers in 7.62x39 and a very light loaded 5.56 case i got from CTD years ago . and i have shot thousands and thousands of russian steel cased ammo over the last 20 years.

now i had some china 7.62x39 that was steel cased and steel cored -- it shot 15" @100m -- that is long off the market--lol

PS old story about the c4 being packed in 7.62x39 and going boom-- i don't think a rifle primer has enough "umph" to ignite c4 so if they went boom they must have used something else ---

and ps to the ps--

hornady should buy some steel cases from tula and make us some nice 50 round boxes of steelcased 6.5g rounds with copper lead bullets and good powder like they did for the 5.56 with the steel match--

$17.80 a box of 50 -- i would buy um---
                Last edited by ah1whiskey; 12-17-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

WPA steel case ammo review

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Cool review find. Thanks, Montana!

Comment

• 1075 tech
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2015

If it's gtg I'll have to order me some just for range time.

Comment

• ahillock
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2016

When considering a barrel and wanting to use Wolf for plinking, is there any reason to lean towards .264LBC or 6.5 Grendel II for the barrel? Not going to be spending big bucks on a match grade barrel. Would be <$300. Just want to make sure I would have ability to shoot steel case ammo like wolf and whatever comes in the future.

I thought I read some reviews of .264 LBC (BHW?) barrels potentially not liking steel case ammo? Any truth to that from a function and design standpoint?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                          When considering a barrel and wanting to use Wolf for plinking, is there any reason to lean towards .264LBC or 6.5 Grendel II for the barrel? Not going to be spending big bucks on a match grade barrel. Would be <$300. Just want to make sure I would have ability to shoot steel case ammo like wolf and whatever comes in the future.

I thought I read some reviews of .264 LBC (BHW?) barrels potentially not liking steel case ammo? Any truth to that from a function and design standpoint?
                          The steel case ammo works in the SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber with .300" neck diameter. A lot of the .264 LBC chambers have a bit tighter neck at .295".

The best option to go with is a nitrided or chrome-lined barrel from a reputable source if you're going to shoot volume in compressed schedules.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tj_farmer
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2015

then theres a guy on here that shoots wolf steel exclusively in his radical upper cause it shoots so good with it.

Comment

• ahillock
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              The steel case ammo works in the SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber with .300" neck diameter. A lot of the .264 LBC chambers have a bit tighter neck at .295".

The best option to go with is a nitrided or chrome-lined barrel from a reputable source if you're going to shoot volume in compressed schedules.
                              Won't shoot volume in steel cased, but would like to have that option. I under stand the tighter neck of the .264 LBC, but I thought I have read of some guys on here shooting the steel case ammo just fine (but also have heard of not so great experience).

Originally posted by tj_farmer View Post
                              then theres a guy on here that shoots wolf steel exclusively in his radical upper cause it shoots so good with it.
                              Interesting. Any chance you have a link to that thread or post?

Anyone know if that Radical barrel is a Grendel II?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2015

Yep radical sent me a email saying thier barrel is the grendel II chamber.

Comment

Working...
                                X