Wolf Steel Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deer Hunter

I've always been told not to use Wolf ammo in my Ar's, has something changed or was I just misinformed. Is Wolf Gold ammo good for deer?

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

misinformed . I fired tens of thousands of rounds of the stuff. it is just what it is- cheap, dirty blasting ammunition.
      never have used wolf gold though.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

Wolf is fine for most AR's. In it's .223 variations it can be a little underpowered. The fact that Wolf is using Barnaul for the 6.5G is reassuring. Barnaul (brown bear, silver bear etc..) has always been a lot more reliable in my guns.

And yes, wolf's hollow point and soft point ammo is good for deer. Maybe not the best, but it will put 'em down.

Comment

• pinzgauer
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Misinformed in more than one way.... Wolf is an importing & marketing company. They do not mfg anything. They import ammo available overseas, and in some cases have it made to their spec.

Their .22 target ammo is considered quite good. (From memory, it's German)

The grendel "Gold" is PPU, privi partisan, another well regarded mfg. Made in Serbia. Though our Grendel loads are clearly not match ammo, they make match ammo and folks apparently win with it. Likewise, many mauser guys shoot it with good results. I'd put it above American brands such as Winchester "White Box", Federal American Eagle, or Remington UMC. (With the exception of the older IMI made Win white box)

Why the Wolf (PPU) Grendel 123 is just so-so is no surprise, measure some of the bullets. They are way undersized!!! I think it was LR1995 that pulled some, replaced with decent bullet and accuracy significantly improved.

I forget where the military classic & the other wolf steel cased is made, but it's fine for plinking. With 1k case lot 5.56 running $179 now I'm going to set some aside.

Wolf 7.62x39 is noticeably better then some of the other cheap ammo, as is brown bear (Barnul made?) Golden Tiger is just OK. The worst is the red/white/blue box stuff. (but it still works, just dirty)

Comment

Wolf ammo

Has anyone used this ammo or found any for sale yet?
            This is great news!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Got some preproduction samples of Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel cases. They were loaded with a "dummy" HPBT, but plans are for production rounds to have a 110gr FMJ.

Anyway, I took some photos that I thought the unwashed masses of The Horde might appreciate!

John

IMG_0331_group_a.jpgIMG_0328_group_b.jpgIMG_0319_mag_c.jpgIMG_0321_mag_b.jpgIMG_0323_mag_a.jpgIMG_0316_trio_a.jpg
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

The big question, when we see some on the shelf?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Stan, I'm sure the bullet here is just something Bill threw in for dummy round purposes, probably simply a 100 Berger or a 123 SMK. Those 120 MPTs are not THAT sleek, so I'm pretty sure it's not them. Besides, the Russians and Serbs are not necessarily cooperative in any venture.

As I understand it, AA is testing both the olive green lacquered cases as well as the gray polymer coated cases. My samples were only the lacquered.

Whelenon, THAT'S what we all want to know! I do know we've never been THIS CLOSE before, at any rate.

John
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

That is nice. Great pics to keep the horde at bay.

Comment

Do we have any idea what the price will be for a box of 20??? I'm hoping for <$10 a box for these blasdting rounds.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Holidays are great for a quiet workshop to run special equipment and tests.

Looking good so far, we have done positively horrid things to the cases to see what problems we can cause, -40F to +350F, oil and fouling. I am really beginning to anticipate doing the accuracy test, if these things continue in the same way they should be awsome. Not looking forward to the overload tests I hate firing strings of proof level loadings.

Comment

Straight from Wolf's web site. Obviously prepared prior to Alex Arms release of the trademark.

As an aside, here's their brass cased ammo.

Comment

• hellcat370

The positive thing is that if they can actually show samples of the steel case, then they have the tooling to make more. Just that much closer to seeing it on the shelf. Nice to be back on the forum, its been a long time!

Comment

Welcome back hellcat. What's new and exciting? Maybe you can post your answer in the New Member's section...

Comment

• hellcat370

well unforunately, i had to sell my 14.5 AA tactical to pay some bills. supposedly Robarms was finishing up the 6.5mm barrel for my XCR friday. but we'll see. would love to have some cheap ammo to blast through it if and when it does come!

Comment

Working...
                                X