Wolf Steel Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outstanding! I absolutely cannot wait to load up on this stuff. I think it would be a great option for running weapons drills, and if accurate enough, use as a primary source of ammunition. It is a good sign if Wolf deems it worthy enough to invest in, and also, that there is enough consumer demand for it. Yet another example of how the free market benefits us all, and without big brother's "help".

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
      The gun was instrumented and ran up to +300 F externally measured temperature under continuous firing and also allowed to cool repetatively with a round in the chamber. We cheated a little to push the temperatures up by the use of external heating tape and a perheat for the loaded magazines . The temperature was limited by safety, the need to be able to handle the ammunition and magazines and the magazine followers melting out. It remained a problem to maintain weapon lubrication at these temperatures. Fully automatic fire was not shown to be a problem.

While it is possible to acheive higher temperatures during extreme use in high solar loadings it is also extremely rare and is frequently accompanied by weapon failure.
      Hee Hee!!! Send me some. I'm always up for another round of Redneck Nuclear ammo testing. I can run them at stupid temperatures like I did the Serb MPT last time.LOL!!!
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Originally posted by stanc
        From what I've read, the lacquered/stuck case problem seems to be with 5.56x45 ammo. Perhaps it's unique to that cartridge?
        What I've noticed in many high volume sessions with the older Wolf green lacquered steel case is that the 5.56 runs like a champ....as long as you keep running the gun warm/hot. The moment you let it cool down, shoot pistol or conduct other tasks, then jump back into it, is when I have seen the most seized cases in the chamber, requiring mortaring or rodding. I'm not sure it has much to do with the particular cartridge, as I've heard arguments for and against the 7.62x39 case taper in that regard.

I think the best solution is to have a smooth chamber that is loose on the walls, and would put the melonited barrel at the top of the list for reliability, followed by polished stainless and polished chrome-lined chambers.

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

I think the best solution is to have a smooth chamber that is loose on the walls, and would put the melonited barrel at the top of the list for reliability, followed by polished stainless and polished chrome-lined chambers.
          Where would I find a 10.5'-11.5" barrel that meets these specs that won't break the bank. I'm very interested in building an upper for my SBR just for this ammo.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            What I've noticed in many high volume sessions with the older Wolf green lacquered steel case is that the 5.56 runs like a champ....as long as you keep running the gun warm/hot. The moment you let it cool down, shoot pistol or conduct other tasks, then jump back into it, is when I have seen the most seized cases in the chamber, requiring mortaring or rodding. I'm not sure it has much to do with the particular cartridge, as I've heard arguments for and against the 7.62x39 case taper in that regard.

Isn't this new stuff supposed to be polymer coated though?

On a similar note, the 5.45 uppers run really well with the laquer coated stuff as I understand it. I haven't really did any kind of endurance test on mine, but I really do think that case taper helps a lot in regard to reliability. Is innacurate as my 5.45 upper is, I really do love it anyway.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Both polymer and green lacquer were tested, and green lacquer ran considerably better. The Russians have decades of experience running lacquer in machine guns, so I really don't see any issues with it in the Grendel. Remember that the .300 throat has the advantage of offering some clearance for semiauto and auto use, part of the reason Bill Alexander chose that throat.

Comment

• hellcat370

Anybody been at Shot Show? Has Wolf introduced it there yet, or they still holding off?

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Its on their stand. They are now saying 2nd quarter, but since we are 1/3 of the way through the first, I guess that is to be expected!

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                    Its on their stand. They are now saying 2nd quarter...
                    But the real question is not in which quarter it'll be available...

...it's which year?

BTW, and at the risk of going waaaaay off topic , I noticed your new sig line and checked youtube for trailers:

Was a bit disappointing that the combat scenes are computer graphics. I'd rather see REAL airplanes used, as was done in the 1969 Battle of Britain movie.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

I'm an Air Force brat, even at 50! I'd still prefer that they were real, but I'd guess that more than a fair number of the air frames available 40 years ago are pretty much toast now.

The Red Tail story was always part of my memory, maybe because I am a product of the South, raised by a father who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, and their underdog status appealed to me. Though my father was a southerner, he is as unbigoted as any man I've ever met. The very first discipline I can remember was because I referred to a black friend as a "nigger" like every other boy I knew in Texas! He gently, but firmly, instructed me that I was never to use the term again in referring to a black, and also informed me what the consequences would be. There was no doubt in my mind! I was raised to have southern values, but not southern bigotry.

I look forward to the movie!

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        Its on their stand. They are now saying 2nd quarter, but since we are 1/3 of the way through the first, I guess that is to be expected!
                        Any more info on price?
                        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• My J&T 16 inch keeps me awake at night asking "is it here yet".

Yeah Bill, I grew up in Atlanta and was active in the civil rights era. Then, I went to work at the big urban hospital and had a lot of my myths shattered. I will treat a man like a man until he proves himself otherwise. The present occupant of the white house will go down in history as the greatest divider of our country IMHO.

Alex

Comment

• Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                            Any more info on price?
                            The dirt from Fortier was that the price was supposed to be similar to the price of their 7.62x39 steel case offerings, so I'm crossing my fingers we'll see the low 20-cent range per round. Wouldn't be surprised though if, during the initial rush, cost is a bit higher due to demand.

Just wish it would get here.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Red Tails was everything it was supposed to be. Very well acted, well filmed. I really enjoyed the whole movie, as did my wife. They stayed away from the race card as much as feasible while still demonstrating what the fliers suffered so far as persecution.

The dogfight scenes were amazingly well done, I thought, emphasizing the chaos of the furball that large dogfights devolved into rapidly. The CG was very well done, with intercuts almost imperceptibly done.

Two Thumbs up for entertainment. 1.5 thumbs as I would have appreciated more of the history!

Comment

• I've been following this thread for a while, and I can't wait until the day finally comes.

Having a cheap source of Grendel ammo will have an immensely bigger impact than gaining SAAMI certification did.

Can't wait! Keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
                                X