• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
    It would be nice to hear what Bill A has to say. I don't want to read this whole thread again though.
    I don't recall what Bill may have said in regard to barrel life with steel case ammo, but there is an alternative to searching through the entire thread: click on "view forum posts" on his screen name. He has a relatively small number of posts, and it shouldn't take very long to scroll through them.

Comment

• dmsims21
      Warrior
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by stanc View Post
      I don't recall what Bill may have said in regard to barrel life with steel case ammo, but there is an alternative to searching through the entire thread: click on "view forum posts" on his screen name. He has a relatively small number of posts, and it shouldn't take very long to scroll through them.
      I looked through his posts back to 2013 before I ran out of time. He has some interesting posts. It makes for good reading.
      I didn't find anything in regard to barrel life with steel case ammo, but this thread started in 2011
      www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I can't find it either. I did find a post that reminded me I had loaned "Warped" (Randy) a drum mag before he up and dropped off the earth.... I can't remember if he ever sent it back. Now I need to shovel the gun room. Damnit.

ETA: And I'm sure Stan was actually referring to bi-metal jackets and not steel cases when he typed "steel case" above.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• dammitman
          Warrior
          • Dec 2012

well, because everything i have ever read has stated that barrel life is limited to the very best competition shooters at 2 or 3 hundred rounds from new to the not so very best competition shooters to maybe 2 or 3 thousand before they get a new barrel i figure that none of those guys will ever shoot any of this ammo thru their barrels. being that i am not a competion shooter i wont shoot any of this thru my only and more expensive barrel but will shoot it thru my liberty barrel as it needs the throat reamed out anyways! heck, i may do a couple mag dumps at this price!!!!!

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Comment

• Smokepole50

Here is an interesting thread that may shed some light on this subject.............

Comment

• dmsims21
                Warrior
                • Nov 2012

I did find one interesting tid bit from Bill A.

He said that one of the goals of the bullet design was that it would work for hunting hogs or similar game. (I can't remember the exact wording)
                www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Smokepole50

I wish Luckygunner had done their test with a normal firing rate, not super fast SA or FA fire. I can't help thinking that barrel temperature had something to do with the results. But still, copper seems to be better overall jacket based on their testing. The article is well worth reading and will make me reconsider doing the occassional mag dump on my AK.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Along the lines of this discussion regarding the new ammo, what are the current options for chrome-lined Grendel barrels?

(It would be nice to see Criterion enter the Grendel segment with their chrome-lined barrels, which have a well-earned reputation for being very accurate in 223 and 308.)
                    Drifter

Comment

• Just get a melonited barrel and don't worry about it as much would be my approach. Surface hardness is great with QPQ/ferritic salt bath nitrocarburization.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

That, or another thing I'd like to see is some hammer forged barrels with SAW chrome, like FN makes for PSA. PSA was interested in getting them, but then the world went ape, and nary a word was said after that.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                          I looked through his posts back to 2013 before I ran out of time. He has some interesting posts. It makes for good reading.
                          I didn't find anything in regard to barrel life with steel case ammo, but this thread started in 2011
                          Actually, I don't recall Bill ever posting any info about barrel life with this ammo. I didn't say so in my previous post, because I can't remember for sure.

And for anyone willing to spend the time looking through this thread, don't forget there is also another thread on the Wolf steel case ammo.

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                            ETA: And I'm sure Stan was actually referring to bi-metal jackets and not steel cases when he typed "steel case" above.
                            Well, I said "steel case ammo," in which the only current loading is a bi-metal jacket bullet...

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                              Well, I said "steel case ammo," in which the only current loading is a bi-metal jacket bullet...
                              Heh heh, it's fun to yank your chain. Did you pick an avatar on Arf yet? If not I'll get a mod to assign you one.

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                                Heh heh, it's fun to yank your chain.
                                Well, as long as you're having fun...
                                Did you pick an avatar on Arf yet? If not I'll get a mod to assign you one.
                                <chuckle> Since I'm just a regular Member, not a Team Member, I don't think I'm allowed to have one?

Comment

Working...
                                X