143gr ELD-X and 123gr SST's with LeverEvolution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6.5 Grendel
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Shanerd View Post
    I do, I actually have a ton of chrono info with lots of bullets with lots of different powders. I like bullets in the heavy end just so you know. With my pet load I am getting 2565 FPS. 123gr bullets.

I for some reason couldn't log in anymore as nimrod. But I will share anything I have. User beware.
    I too was getting those velocitys with 31.8grs of Lev. in my 20" BHW barrel In fact your old posts are what got me to try it! BTW welcome back.
    "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• Nimrod
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
      Some of us contacted the Hodgdon ballisticians for advice on LeverEvolution in the Grendel. They did not encourage it because they saw that the powder does not work well in all cartridges. It may have been, possibly still is, a liability issue.

The consistently positive reports I have seen, however, suggest a revisit of that question among ourselves and with Hodgdon.
      I also spoke with Hodgdon a couple years ago and they told me the same thing. However I am convinced that LVR is very well suited for the Grendel. I got more pressure signs with 8208, and 2520. LVR feels much more mild.

Comment

• m77mkii
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2017

Saw the line above first picture in the thread,what is "web"

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Probably measuring just above the extractor groove to compare case expansion as an indicator for excessive pressure as in measuring near the web of the case.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by apd_855 View Post
            Didn't realize how much velocity a person gains with a bolt gun. Just finished a Grendel boltie and was doing some load development. With 32.5 grains of Leverevolution under a 123 Nosler CC at 2.30, I was getting an average of 2863 over a Magnetospeed. Went up to 33 gn., and was getting 2920, with no obvious pressure signs.
            Sorry I didn't see this before.

Your first indications of excessive pressure signs are velocity in most cases. When I see .260 Remington speeds from 6.5 Grendel case and it has 10-15 grains less capacity, I interpret that as some serious pressure signs.

2863fps to 2920fps with a 123gr from the 6.5 Grendel is smokin'. Pressure has to be in the 60ksi + range, with a cartridge that was engineered around 60ksi yield strength brass, with an intended 50ksi working pressure.

I'm looking at several of my sources for .260 Rem data right now with 120-123gr, and there are max loads petering out at 2898fps-2979fps from a 24" barrel using 39.0 - 45.5gr of powder. .260 Rem has a 60ksi working pressure.

If you're seeing more than 2700fps with a 123gr in 6.5 Grendel, even with a bolt gun, that load needs to be pressure-tested if there is no available industry data for it.

Things can go much more wrong with a bolt gun than an AR if the case head fails.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X