• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wheelguner
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

dega37,

I believe you are pushing the envelope with that load. The Hornady 9th Edition lists 29.1 as Max for the 123gr with AA2520 and the Nosler Manual shows 28.5. The Latest Western Guide I just downloaded shows 29.5gr as Max for 123gr Lapua and 29.6 for the Sierra. How did the primers look?

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dega37 View Post
      Klem, you just blew my mind with that case gauge picture - I went to buy one but they are out of stock. Thanks for all the info, I am going to send the die back to redding with some fired cases to get checked out. I'll post the results.

Wheelguner, I thought I was loading 30.5gr of AA2520 on 123gr A-MAX, but it turns out my dillon scale/powder dropper combo weren't that accurate.
      Are you using a balance beam to verify?

Using a load that is on the high side and not double and triple checking can create problems.

Best advice: Try a starting load specified by one of the references Wheelgunner mentioned and use a balance beam to verify the load. Remember, parallax is alive and well, so make sure your eye is at the same level when you zero and weigh!

That may ease your sizing problem a bit, but shaving brass is an indication of an improperly finished sizing die independent of swelling that may have been caused by overpressure or early breech unlock.
      Last edited by JASmith; 11-04-2016, 12:58 PM.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• dega37
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

At the time I loaded the cartridges referenced, I was using the Dillon powder drop bar on the XL650 and testing every 10th load on the dillon scale to make sure it was still accurate. I recently purchased two different scales that came with 20g reference weights and discovered that my dillon scale was not accurate...so that is unfortunate. I have switched to reloading my "accurate/precision" grendel loads to be loaded on a Forster Co-AX and use a Lyman Gen6 auto powder measure and then reference the load on the Gempro 250. For short distance/ rifle bay shooting i just use a much lower powder charge ~27.5-28gr, so that a .5 gr deviation doesn't cause problems.

Comment

• dega37
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

I received my die back from Redding. The result was that there was some distortion in the die - I am not sure of the specifics, but they fixed that, cleaned, and polished the die and sent it back. I haven't seen the problem so far. I guess the moral of the story is when you have a problem, ask the knowledgeable Horde, and send back to manufacturer for inspection. Thanks all. Good info in this thread.

Comment

Working...
          X