X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 454bore
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Some FL dies size the neck way to much for a particular chamber..
    My 6mmppc full length die will size the neck down to .256 so it will work with a .262 benchrest chamber.
    That's way too much for a no turn neck chamber reamed at .273 to .275 diameter.
    Seating force goes up real fast over working the neck that much.
    Having a full length dies neck reamed to the right diameter will help if you don't use bushing dies.
    Forster offers that service for 10 dollars.
    Last edited by 454bore; 12-27-2016, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• waynemac
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2016

When it comes to consistent neck tension, the best way to control that is to neck-turn and anneal. Inside of 4-500 yards it is hard to see, but beyond that it shows by groups that are vertical stringing. The harder the brass, the more vertical you can expect. It really doesn't have to be a very expensive set-up. If your not meeting a certain neck diameter like for a tight neck chamber, then all you really want is to just clean up the necks, your cut doesn't even have to go all the way around, just most of the way.

And for annealing, just buy some Templac that takes you to about 475 degrees. For heat, I bought a little torch made from a piece of copper tubing that is bent in a loop and is drilled with holes around the inside. This heats the case from all sides and is about $45.00. Put a small dot of Templac on the case neck and let it dry. Then heat the case while counting one- one thousand, two- one thousand, and so on till the Templac melts. Then you know just how long to heat the rest. It's a little labor- intensive but works and is relatively cheap. The goal is to bring the brass back to dead soft. I anneal every 5-6 times fired on benchrest cases, other cartridges only get annealed once in there useful life, if that.

Wayne

Comment

• dega37
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

So small update here, I ran my fired brass through the Redding FL sizer Bushing Die with the expander, but no bushing in and the expander didn't even touch the necks. On the necks with dented mouths, it barely even touched them. As mentioned before with both the bushing and expander, the brass gets pushed out further than I want after the bushing does its work. This might be why some members posted that they forgo the expander and only use the bushing. This definitely matches why SG and the others use a mandrel after the bushing. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
        X