<1500fps loads for short range steel targets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howl
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

<1500fps loads for short range steel targets?

I'm trying to decide between getting a 9mm carbine or Wolf Grendel upper. The sticking point is whether I can load for the Grendel slow enough to use on my steel targets at close range.

I don't need subsonic. I read through those threads. I need fast enough to not bounce back and slow enough to not damage the targets at 12 yards. Anyone been through this?
  • HillclimberCR500
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2016

Why not a 300 blk 6.5 seems kind of a waste of money for 12 yds. or better steel targets. Not that I'm not all for spending money on wants instead of needs. I built my 6.5 cuz I was bored and wanted a winter project. That being said I suppose you could sbr a grendel and load heavy bullets to make it go that slow. But I'm just guessing at that I'm no expert

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Try searching for the subsonic load thread.

A bunch guys tried getting subsonic while still being able to cycle the action.

Some of their "failures" were loads that would cycle but weren't quite slow enough to be subsonic.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

I would never spend the $$$ or the time shooting a rifle at steel at 12 yards....for safety, for money, and no challenge.
        But, I guess that is just me.
        PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbines) are my favorite right now and I usually keep them out to 50 and beyond as any shorter is pretty much a cake walk.
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

At that range why not just buy an air rifle?

If you do go this route I'd start with an 11.5" barrel and 140gr pills.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

I would go lead rounds only on steel at that range, regardless of the velocity. You just end up getting stung with annoying splatter. I know a guy who needed a hospital visit to remove 9mm jacket fragments from his chin (1,200fps). He was shooting steel at 15m with FMJ's.

Even fast jacketed rounds at close range can be dangerous;

Why not source lead rounds for close-range steel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

We had a guy at a pistol match in North Carolina who was shooting .38 Super + P. Took a round into his own abdomen, with a few inches of penetration, but not really life-threatening that time, luckily.

You could load 140s or 160s going that slow and still have a case fill with certain powders. Make sure your plates are angled downwards.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• howl
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

There sure is more to shooting steel than seems obvious. I was surprised to see that hollow based slugs are prone to bouncing back, but soft lead bird shot isn't.

Anyhow, if anyone has actually gone through this with the Grendel and has any first hand experience to share, I'd appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                X