Ordering supplies.. give me a few bullets to try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LRRPF52,

Thanks for the warm welcome back. It's nice to see that I'm remembered. I just realized that the forum was back online. I have written it off to being lost to the abyss quite a while ago, but it's cool to see it back online.

I haven't been paying the Grendel much mind lately anyway. I have been too busy trying to get my ducks into a row for F-TR. Now that I feel comfortable with all of that, I'm starting to play around with the Grendels a little more.

My previous post was in haste. I mistakenly thought the OP asked about powder. Being that he asked about bullets, I'm just going to say that the 123 Amax is all you need. I prefer it to the 120smk only in that it seems to be a better fit for the cartridge. It's a perfect mix of consistency and efficiency. Traditionally, 120smk has always shot the tightest groups for me. Still, the Amax shoots very well. 30.3gr of 748 shoots great behind the bullet, though it's compressed, and the seating die deforms the bullet, which is why my current load is 28gr of IMR 4895. H4895 is probably the better fit, though I just don't have any of the stuff. The IMR4895 is a modest load, but it's very consistent, and I really don't feel the need to push the cartridge very hard.

As for Primers, I have found that I am fond of the Tula/Wolf, and it's tiny flash. Provided that the flash is enough for reliable ignition, these Russian primers have proven to me to provide the most consistent velocities. They work great in the Grendel, though the Small Rifle Primers seem to be a very tight squeeze into the primer pocket. I've noticed that they require a high load density for reliable ignition in a .308 though, and are quite unreliable in that case, so I stopped using them there. So for the SRP .308 brass, I use Winchester, which also has a mild flash, but still enough juice for reliable ignition. In short, I try to use the primers with the smallest flash as I can. There are some good articles on the net about primers from the Rifleman's Journal.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

For target shooting at < 600 yards consider the 100gr Lapua offerings . I guess I'm the only one in the world who still shoots BLC (2) powder but I like it. The Wolf brand primers do indead work well, but I shoot winchesters as I have a lifetime supply stacked high in the closet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambozo View Post
        LRRPF52,

Thanks for the warm welcome back. It's nice to see that I'm remembered. I just realized that the forum was back online. I have written it off to being lost to the abyss quite a while ago, but it's cool to see it back online.

I haven't been paying the Grendel much mind lately anyway. I have been too busy trying to get my ducks into a row for F-TR. Now that I feel comfortable with all of that, I'm starting to play around with the Grendels a little more.

My previous post was in haste. I mistakenly thought the OP asked about powder. Being that he asked about bullets, I'm just going to say that the 123 Amax is all you need. I prefer it to the 120smk only in that it seems to be a better fit for the cartridge. It's a perfect mix of consistency and efficiency. Traditionally, 120smk has always shot the tightest groups for me. Still, the Amax shoots very well. 30.3gr of 748 shoots great behind the bullet, though it's compressed, and the seating die deforms the bullet, which is why my current load is 28gr of IMR 4895. H4895 is probably the better fit, though I just don't have any of the stuff. The IMR4895 is a modest load, but it's very consistent, and I really don't feel the need to push the cartridge very hard.

As for Primers, I have found that I am fond of the Tula/Wolf, and it's tiny flash. Provided that the flash is enough for reliable ignition, these Russian primers have proven to me to provide the most consistent velocities. They work great in the Grendel, though the Small Rifle Primers seem to be a very tight squeeze into the primer pocket. I've noticed that they require a high load density for reliable ignition in a .308 though, and are quite unreliable in that case, so I stopped using them there. So for the SRP .308 brass, I use Winchester, which also has a mild flash, but still enough juice for reliable ignition. In short, I try to use the primers with the smallest flash as I can. There are some good articles on the net about primers from the Rifleman's Journal.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...hole-test.html
        Great to have you back daddy. Will you post some pics of your blasters again in the gallery?

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Great to have you back daddy. Will you post some pics of your blasters again in the gallery?
          Here they are, my blasters.
          My Grendels. An AA 16&quot; and an 18&quot; CSS. Two uppers, one lower. The CSS shoots well, but isn't quite as reliable.

Comment

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Sorted brass today. First time using Lapua brass. Out of 300, all were 111gr except for 2 at 110.7 and about 36 in the 112s. I'm used to Winchester and Lake City which is anywhere between 6-7gr spread.

Comment

Working...
            X