X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

More editing/rearranging done to make room for anticipated three new LFPs. Now all of the 120gr and heavier LFPs are on Page 2. Everything under on Page 1. Still trying to keep them in ascending order by weight.

Comment

• rickOshay
      Warrior
      • Apr 2012

Finally received the Barnes 115gr. TAC-TX.

Had to order them direct from Barnes. And because I live in CA, they made me provide a copy of my FFL03 ! For projectiles !!!

They admitted that not may distributers have bought them.

I've put the details in the LFP Summary thread. Now just waiting on the COVID-19 shutdown to be over to get to the range.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

You happen to have the length of the Barnes 115gr?
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• rickOshay
          Warrior
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
          You happen to have the length of the Barnes 115gr?
          Posted in the other thread: 1.2845

Here are the Barnes 100, 115 and 120

Measurements to ogive are: 0.6115, 0.7630, and 0.7875 respectively.

Diameters at base of plastic tip are: 0.1365 - 120gr vs 0.1589 - 115 gr.

The bearing surfaces appear to be about the same for the 115 and the 120, at about 0.55" minus the 3 bands.
          Last edited by rickOshay; 04-05-2020, 04:42 PM. Reason: ogive, tip, and bearing surface measurements added.

Comment

• rickOshay
            Warrior
            • Apr 2012

Hammers Dropped

Just received two of the .264 cal LFPs from Hammer Bullets https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/264-6-5mm/

On the left is the 110gr Hammer Hunter that measures 1.266" long. On the right is the 117gr Hammer Shock measuring 1.231"long.

Gels to follow this week.

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

I didn't see anything on their website that said minimum opening velocities. But i also saw a 99g bullet to. Looking forward to the results on these.

Comment

• rickOshay
                Warrior
                • Apr 2012

Hammer Gel Results

Here is the 110gr Hunter recovered after impacting the gel at 2000 fps. I has begun to open up. But shows its designed for
                higher velocities than some of the other newer LFPs on the market.

It weighed 104.4 due to losing some material striking the bottom support. Penetration was 28" in a curved path.

And here is the 117gr Shock after impacting at 2016 fps. The petals have broken off down to the base. Base penetrated 26.5" and weighed 91.9 gr.
                Last edited by rickOshay; 05-07-2020, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Modoc
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2022

Last edited by Modoc; 07-17-2022, 05:06 AM.

Comment

• myrifle
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
                    Here is the 110gr Hunter recovered after impacting the gel at 2000 fps. I has begun to open up. But shows its designed for
                    higher velocities than some of the other newer LFPs on the market.

It weighed 104.4 due to losing some material striking the bottom support. Penetration was 28" in a curved path.

And here is the 117gr Shock after impacting at 2016 fps. The petals have broken off down to the base. Base penetrated 26.5" and weighed 91.9 gr.
                    I have thought about trying their 85 grain bullet. But now that I see this, i think I'm going to pass on them. I want a shank pushing a mushroom completley through a animal. Not a pencil hole exit from just a shank.

Comment

• Fess
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2019

Although I am beginning to sound like a broken record, take a look at Cavity Back. They use a three-petal design so each petal is beefier and less likely to shear off at higher velocity or after hitting bone. FWIW they claim "double caliber expansion down to 1500 fps". I have seen good reports from 300 BO and 6.8 SPC shooters.

Comment

• rickOshay
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2012

Thanks for your comment.

The Cavity Back bullets were reviewed very early on and summarized here, post #12 and 20:

For the Grendel Horde’s convenience, I have compiled my results for a sampling of .264 caliber lead-free projectiles (LFPs). Also included are results from testing an experimental LFP, the 90g Cereberus, developed by our very own BluntForceTrama et. al. The main goal of this work was to give the Grendel reloader a single

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
                          Thanks for your comment.

The Cavity Back bullets were reviewed very early on and summarized here, post #12 and 20:

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...he-G.5-Grendel
                          They have both been adjusted since those early tests to lower expansion speed a bit. As well as help petal retention on the 118 gr.
                          We can adjust every parameter due to the design and way they are manufactured which is something Barnes, Lehigh and Hammer cannot do.
                          Thank you both for your comments. We still maintain no bullet is more effective than a CBB from a Grendel. Nor do any match the distance we get expansion at 450 yards from a Grendel with the 118gr.

Something else we have found since those tests is that the length of the 118gr does not limit which powders you can use. The cavity offsets the length in this area.
                          We have also found that you can subtract 90% of the depth of the cavity from overall bullet length when figuring needed twist rate. This has proven true in all the calibers we produce which increases the SG in relation to barrel twist rate. Resulting in better stability.

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

CBB, do you have some more "~Exact" guidance on load data, such as powders, typical OAL for a true Grr throat, esp the 105's and 118 hunting bullets.
                            Putting that info here would help a lot of shooters.
                            thanks.
                            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2018

@CavityBackBullets

Any idea when your Cavity Back MKZ 195 grain Subsonic 7.62/.308 will be back in stock? I wanted to buy them and your Cavity Back MKZ 118 grain 6.5/.264 at the same time to save on shipping.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2018

Soooo, I did a little Googling. Turns out Cavity Back Bullets have an Achilles' Heel. If you shoot the 195gr out of a 1/5 300 Blackout they open up in flight.

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

101E3D05-2636-414B-B9BD-3C27005502FE_jpe-2464395.JPG

E16E90B7-B1FE-456D-8EAF-97653F1D0067_jpe-2464396.JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X