The same???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The issue is i would chamber normally by pulling the charging handle all the way back and releasing the charging handle. The round appeared to fully chamber but when i pulled the trigger i just got a click. I went to extract the round but it was VERY hard to do. I had to brace the butt of the stock against my knee and use both hands on the charging handle. One of the rounds was so stuck that the case came out but the bullet was lodged in.
    Link
    To start, im reloading wolf once fired brass w/ CCI LRP #200. I cleaned, sized, primed and trimmed all of the cases the same. These are being shot out of an Alexander Arms 24" AWS upper on a MEGA billet lower w/ a G&R LPK and Geissele SSD-E Trigger. I loaded 20 90gr Speer TNT rounds to a COAL of 2.200. All 20

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Once again, this is happening because the bullets are into the lands, (the rifling) it has nothing to do with the compound throat.

Heck, I can create this in my 7mm WSM, simply by loading my 180 Bergers long. There is no compound throat in a WSM!

Comment

Correct, all issues above were with bullets jammed into the lands (throat) (compound throat). They were also loaded to AA OAL specs and the bullets were getting stuck in the compound throat/rifling.

Heck, I can create this in my 7mm WSM, simply by loading my 180 Bergers long. There is no compound throat in a WSM!
        If you load long, yes. These were not loaded long. They were loaded to an OAL specified by AA data, big difference.

Comment

• leopard6.5

mseric: Once again I ask " What personal experience have you had with problems with AA's compound throat?"

I personally don't take all things I read on the internet as gospel and I sure don't repeat posts as gospel and then try to use that as proof unless I was there and I have personal knowledge.
          Unfortunately, people have a tendency to blame everything but themselves for their problems( just human nature I guess) but then either don't take the time to find out what the real problem is or don't admit what the real problem is( themselves) once they do find out where the problem lies.
          It's very easy to blame an inanimate object for the problem but in most things the human error comes into play.

I've been reading people writing about these problems for 4-5 years now and the people that admitted to finding the problem or were honest enough to post what they found the problem was invariably turned out to be either not bumping the shoulder back far enough, loading to magazine length without paying attention to whether they were into the rifling or using a bullet whose shape caused the bullet to be jambed into the rifling.

As bwaites already said, these same conditions can be created in any other chamber if someone does something wrong.
          If you would do a search on any forum you wish, you will find plenty of problems people have had with reloading with any caliber you wish to use.
          This has nothing to do with and is not particular to any particular "chamber design".

Lee

Comment

In support of Lee's comment -- I have personally had the same happen with the .45 ACP in an accurized 1911A1. In my case, the cartridge was well within the specified cartridge overall length, but the throat started a little earlier than one sees in a barrel optimized for ball ammunition, so the shoulder of the SWC started to engrave in the lands. Have you ever tried to work the action of a 1911 with a stuck bullet. Lots of force and powder everywhere!

The solution was to seat the shoulder about .002" in front of the case mouth instead of the .007" I had earlier used.

THIS WAS NOT A FAULT OF THE TARGET BARREL! This was the result of the reloader not completely understanding the sometimes very subtle details that need to be attended to when producing reliable ammunition!

The key issue to keep in mind is that these folks tend to forget that a magazine-length cartridge overall length does not necessarily mean either a safe or a reliable round. Adjustments need to be made when working up the load, including getting the bullet seating depth appropriately set.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I purchased a 6.5 Grendel upper made by Sabre Defense, it has a 20 inch barrel and I have Loved this gun. I built a lower with a Magpul PRS stock, dropped in a Giselle trigger, a Heavy Duty Buffer spring and the gun runs like a tack driver..

Last April I wanted to build another one but couldn't' find a barrel because nobody would pay the High price for the Grendel Name, and I called everybody.. Then I called a friend who referred me to another barrel company that just started making the .264 Les Baer Cartridge, I spoke to them but then I decided to call the Les Baer company myself.. I wanted to find out what exactly was going on, little did I know that I'd be put on the phone with the man himself "Les Baer" and I didn't know it until we were getting off of the phone & I asked his name for future reference, that's
              when I found out who I was talking too,, I'd never have known??

Anyway I shoot Hornady 6.5 Grendel Ammunition in both guns, and they both are really accurate so yes the ammunition is interchangeable for the 2 cartridges and it won't harm a thing....

If you build a .264 LBC-AR because you can't find a 6.5 Grendel Barrel, just make sure you get the New correct size Bolt from the barrel manufacturer or you Will run into problems by putting in the wrong size bolt.....

I am a Grendel Loving Son of a Gun, it's such an Awesome round

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Originally posted by brickcues View Post
                Dave at Pacific Tool & Gauge has 2 reamers for the 264 LBC AR.
                Same part two variations, and they called me a control freak!
                Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Seriously in reply to the OP the chambers assuming they are correct are essentially interchangeable with respect to the ammunition. The Wolf ammunition is probably not a consideration for a high end barrel. Both Hornady and AA ammunition (Lapua) will run fine in either chamber.

Comment

• coastguardchas

I have a 21" grendel built by ASI, with a PT&G reamer, that will chamber Hornady cases. My LW barreled Grendel will not.

Comment

Working...
                    X