• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rickc
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

I use a lot of different methods.

for my bench guns. I just wipe off the outside of the case with a patch moistened with ballistol, brush out the necks and clean the primer pocket.

The majority I just use a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media because I do not want to disturb the carbon in the necks.

At least every 5 reloadings I anneal and at that point I ultrasonic clean to remove the buildup of burnt powder inside the case. Use imperial neck lube to replace the removed carbon in the necks.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
      have to use the imperial dry graphite on bullet seating.to replace the carbon in the necks removed with the ultrasonic
      Pardon my ignorance, but what's the significance of the carbon in the neck? What's lost/gained by it? Never heard this mentioned before.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

It acts to reduce seating friction by preventing metal on metal contact between bullet and case wall. Carbon provides for uniform seating resistance. Some precision shooters avoid tumbling with SS media because it removes the carbon from the case neck.

ETA: I lube the case necks after cleaning with the SS media for the same reason. I've pulled some bullets to check and have seen signs of heavier scoring on the bullet shanks if seated after a good SS cleaning and no lubing.
        Last edited by NugginFutz; 04-10-2017, 12:11 AM.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          If you are looking to streamline, why tumble them twice?
          Me personally I'd be weary of leaving lube on the case after resizing because as I understand it it probably increases case thrust and generally really isn't good on your bolt when​ firing..

I've ultrasonic cleaned mine so far. Sold the little Hornady unit. Salesman lied and said it could fit a pistol... My a**! And I've never really been happy with most the ones I've seen both in cost and function. I'm kinda sick of compromising and enjoy tinkering to an extent. I'm thinking about just buying like a cheap used S.S. sink welding it a bit. Buying the ultrasonic drivers and inducers and more of them than typical. Dissect a crock pot and use the element to heat it..

Also probably going make my own S.S. Pin tumbler. They are very simple. And there to handy from rock polishing to other fun experiments *coughs* and can be easily human powered when SHTF... As far as I'm concerned this ones a necessity!

Looking forward to trying the citric acid bath..

My personal fav. Is the washing machine for cleaning shot shells. Can't wait to try this! Lol ;p

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
            It acts to reduce seating friction by preventing metal on metal contact between bullet and case wall. Carbon provides for uniform seating resistance. Some precision shooters avoid tumbling with SS media because it removes the carbon from the case neck.
            seems like something minor to me.
            I am slightly weary of using mica neck lubes because from what I've seen some have somewhat Trace amounts of silica in them. Not trying to hijack the thread but anyone use dry moly powder? They use them on​ the booletz why not for neck lubes? Plus I already have a bunch.

Also that Dillon case lube, one shot, frank, Arsenal, etc. Are all lanolin based and I've heard you can find it in the baby section at Walmart and make your own with IPA for super cheap. I'm sure some of you fine people already knew that. But there may be some to whom this is news.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
              Dumped into gallon freezer bags and sprayed with home brew case lube (25% Pure lanolin, 75% Isopropyl Alcohol [99%])
              ...And he beat me to it... Lol good work sticks.

You can also use the Alton Brown method of making beef jerky for drying.. and take a regular household box fan and put a screen or like him a house central air system filter and tape it on and put your brass on that to air dry it..

I was just checking out the Henderson precision trimmer and that looks like a significant time saver.

A socket with steel wool and a drill seems like a good idea to. Wish I could help more but I'm just starting out. And figuring out all the little quirks still.
              Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 04-10-2017, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• Rickc
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                seems like something minor to me.
                I am slightly weary of using mica neck lubes because from what I've seen some have somewhat Trace amounts of silica in them. Not trying to hijack the thread but anyone use dry moly powder? They use them on​ the booletz why not for neck lubes? Plus I already have a bunch.

Also that Dillon case lube, one shot, frank, Arsenal, etc. Are all lanolin based and I've heard you can find it in the baby section at Walmart and make your own with IPA for super cheap. I'm sure some of you fine people already knew that. But there may be some to whom this is news.
                Case lube?

Imperial sizing wax and imperial dry neck lube media

One can will last for years

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

This ^^
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

Sorry my nomenclature might be slightly off. I've been known to do that on occasion (maybe often) but it's a pet peeve of mine. I like to communicate as efficiently and accurately​ as possible. (Probably cuz I don't realistically) but I try..

I think I was referring to case lube because of my earlier post. But yeah neck lube sorry. So I was reading reviews for the imperial and Hornady who I think bought unique (?) If I remember correctly and stocked up on that as it was also very highly rated. It was also twice as cheap and again not sure but I think I may have gotten twice as much per. So maybe what 3 times cheaper if my poor math is correct?

But I am curious do want to try imperial. *I didn't know they made neck lube though so thanks! I'll have to check that out.

Comment

• Rickc
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                      Sorry my nomenclature might be slightly off. I've been known to do that on occasion (maybe often) but it's a pet peeve of mine. I like to communicate as efficiently and accurately​ as possible. (Probably cuz I don't realistically) but I try..

I think I was referring to case lube because of my earlier post. But yeah neck lube sorry. So I was reading reviews for the imperial and Hornady who I think bought unique (?) If I remember correctly and stocked up on that as it was also very highly rated. It was also twice as cheap and again not sure but I think I may have gotten twice as much per. So maybe what 3 times cheaper if my poor math is correct?

But I am curious do want to try imperial. *I didn't know they made neck lube though so thanks! I'll have to check that out.
                      Be sure and get this one. It is the graphite in ceramic balls. Easiest neck lube application i have found.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
                        Be sure and get this one. It is the graphite in ceramic balls. Easiest neck lube application i have found.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/89...ion-media-1-oz
                        oh lol. Man this read my mind. I just looked it up on midway and it says "Material: Imperial dry neck lubricant coated ceramic media" I was thinking it was a ceramic lubricant additive I was thinking idk...
                        Ok that applicators make more sense. I'll give it a try. But still curious why do they they use Moly? Does it work too good as it's an extreme pressure lube. That stuff is absolutely amazing.. especially when you consider all of its potential electrical uses as well.

Does anyone use a larger IDK say 5 gal bucket to tumble their brass to save time? Or maybe a cement mixer if they shoot .50bmg?

Also there has to be a way to mechanically stand the brass up or upside down and rinse them out much like they do in the bottling canning Industry. Then just move them over to the fan or whatever to drip and dry.

Comment

• waveslayer
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2013

I just started to use SS media, what a difference it is compared to my old Sonic cleaner. I use a brass dryer to dry my brass in 45 minutes. It's like doing some laundry, I set it and walk away.

For case lube this has been the best so far! I do like to use Graphite for the insides of the necks if I use the stem in the die, which is rare these days.

here's a link of the lube I use and make. I have used the same brass 6 to 7 times to try how well it works, it's awesome. Works better then any on the market lube. I throw handfuls of brass in a plastic bin and spray away. I shake the bin and distribute the lube evenly. I then reload it and go to town. If I want the lube off I just use SS for 20-30 minutes after resizing and dry the brass again.

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

Comment

Working...
                          X