• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael DM
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2016

Federal Gold Medal 6.5 Grendel Berger 130 AR Hybrid

Federal Gold Medal Berger 6.5 Grendel Ammo 130 Grain Berger Hybrid

Is this listed as a tactical bullet? If so, is the bullet made thicker so as to not break apart on impact as other bullets? I see the box has it labeled target ammo...

62975.jpg
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

This is what Berger says about their various line of bullets. The 130 Hybrid is tactical.
    Berger Bullet Designs Target Bullets Berger Target Bullets have been winning local, regional, national and world matches for decades. Producing match grade bullets for... Read More VLD Target Bullets The Very Low Drag (VLD) Target bullet design
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Michael DM
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
      This is what Berger says about their various line of bullets. The 130 Hybrid is tactical.
      http://www.bergerbullets.com/informa...e-and-designs/
      I just called Federal Premium and was told that the bullet is NOT tactical but IS a Juggernaut. WOW...I have no idea now what the heck it is Someone is wrong...

EDIT...I just called Berger Bullets and they told me it is listed as a tactical bullet only by design...it works well in AR platforms. It can shatter on impact on soft/hard targets...nothing like a FMJ. Over all not sounding too impressed with the tactical qualities of this round.

Wish a major ammo manufacturer would make a truly 6.5 Grendel tactical round that is cost effective. I will have nothing to do with WOLF ammo...not trust it and reports of damaging gun barrels really turns me off.
      Last edited by Michael DM; 06-29-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Mike, yes, Berger calls it a "tactical" because it's designed to fit mag length in autoloaders like 6.5 Creedmoor in AR10 and 6.5 Grendel in AR15 — but the bullet design itself is pure target.

It would reconsider Wolf. There are no reports of it being such poor quality that it blows up barrels. And if I understand Lucky Gunner's extensive 10,000 round report on steel-case ammo in 5.56, any problems do NOT come into play until you get your barrel RED HOT and soft enough that the soft steel used in the ammo starts wearing away at the softened rifling.

Under normal use, my opinion is that steel-case ammo will not damage a rifle barrel any more than any other ammo. Could be wrong, though. But it certainly is a "tactical round that is cost-effective."
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

These are at 260 Rem velocities, but it gives a good general idea of the round terminally... at the ranges he was getting kill shots, I'd say it expands at respectable low velocities.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

I haven't shot the 130gr Bergers at anything but paper, steel and rocks it does well on all of those. Before purchasing my first 500 of them I called and talked with Berger about the bullets and it is a hybrid ogive with the jacket from the thicker material used on the target bullets and is thicker than say the VLD hunting. I haven't tested it on hogs since Nosler 129gr LR Accubonds became available and those became my go to hunting bullets. Not sure at GRR velocities they are any better than the 123gr SSTs though just a little heavier and higher BC.

Comment

• kansas
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2017

Any one have a semi reliable source for this ammo ?
              (Federal Premium 130gr Berger, 6.5 Grendel)

Thx!

Comment

Working...
              X