• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ncbowhnter
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

Factory hunting ammo?

I do not reload. So what factory ammo what be best suited for hunting deer/coyote size animals?
  • matkal
    Bloodstained
    • May 2014

Hornady shoots very well in my rifle though i have not hunted with it.
    Federal has their Fusion ammo.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Hornady 123 SST has been very well documented as a successful hunting ammo. Double naught spy, a forum member here has had untold hog kills with that exact ammo.
      His YouTube channel, carpe sus has many filmed kills with it, as well as detailed necropcy reports.

AA has a 129 SST load, and a 100 BT load as well I believe. As previously mentioned, federal recently released a 120 Fusion load well.
      Last edited by Kilco; 07-01-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• grendelnubi
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

The Hornady 123gr sst seems to be a good choice, fact is you can find them at most box stores. Best bet is search online for a greater selection. The Hornady amax is questionable but some do use them for deer. Barnes VOR Tex ttsx is also a good choice. Federal just came out with a berger vld.

It really depends on what you are hunting and at what ranges but the sst seems to be the most available and performs good in most situations.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

If you want lead free precision firearms has some in stock. It's not the cheapest but if you only use for hunting then it should last a while.

Comment

• Drift
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

The real beauty in the 6.5 Grendel is not in the cartridge case. It lies in the fact that most any 120 grain .264 caliber bullet driven at Grendel velocities is a good North American hunting bullet. Common, less then 100 gr bullets don't work as well, and you've got to work hard to find a bullet in greater then 130 gr to be soft enough to make a poor hunting bullet. And most 6.5 bullets are plenty accurate.
            So to answer your question;stay away from factory bullets less then 100 grains, and you should be fine for deer and pigs. For coyotes and varmits, any factory bullet should work.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ncbowhnter View Post
              I do not reload. So what factory ammo what be best suited for hunting deer/coyote size animals?
              Out of the 42 different factory loads, most are hunting loads.

We need to know more about your area and realistic shot distances.

For closer range, the 90gr TNT from Federal is a great choice for yotes, but not deer unless neck shooting.

Easy default answer is Hornady 123gr SST for dual-purpose deer/coyote hunting. It's available on shelves at most Sportsman's Warehouses, but I personally prefer to order online in bulk for much less per box.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ncbowhnter
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2017

Shots will be 350 yards max with most shots likely to be around 200 for both coyotes and deer. I have some sst that shoots really well out of my rifle. Just wondering if there are any other offerings I should consider. Thanks for all the replies so far!

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

Several good ones on that link, I like the LR accubond bullets but there are others there such as the Barnes, VLD huninh and SST that will work well, notice they are 50 round boxes in Lapua brass

Comment

• Clays23
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Hornady Sst all day
                    Joshua 1:9

Comment

Working...
                    X