• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Profit Joseph Sith
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
    Here is a discussion that fits in nicely with this thread.
    Has anyone modified a Lee collet die to work with 6.5 Grendel?

BTW, I partially resized with a full length Lee die my last handloaded 85g Sierras and got a 0.5 MOA three shot group from my Overwatch upper and a 0.905 MOA five shot from my 16" BCA barrel. The rounds chambered and fired in both barrels fine. I realize the chambers may be the same size. Unscrewing the die a half turn and sizing is a standard technique to NOT bump the shoulder back to achieve a better fit in the chamber. There may be problems with the rounds fitting, now or in the future.
    Thanks for the accuracy report on the BCA. I got a couple 20" heavy profiles myself and have been eager to hear reports. This is the first I've seen. Good to hear.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
      Thanks for the accuracy report on the BCA. I got a couple 20" heavy profiles myself and have been eager to hear reports. This is the first I've seen. Good to hear.
      I reluctantly sent that BCA barrel back because it left stripes or ridges near the shoulder of the brass. I need to rebed the new barrel and receiver with loctite to try to get this one near 0.9 MOA. I will be pissed if it turns out to be a poor shooter in spite of all tweaks. So far it has shown 2 MOA five shot groups with factory AMAX.

Comment

• Brandi
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2014

Ok, stupid noob question time. Keep in mind I'm pretty new to reloading and all we reload at the moment is 9mm, .45 Colt and .357 magnum although we have dies waiting in the wings for 6.5 Grendel, .40 S&W, 5.56mm and .45-70 (at least that I can remember). Our plan is to be set up to reload 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, .38/.357mag, .44Spec/Mag, .45 Colt, .223/5.56, 6.5 Grendel, .30-06, .45-70 and .50 Beowulf so even though we are just loading a few of those currently I'm always trying to learn as much about reloading as possible in the meantime.

All of our dies are Lee and so far we've only loaded handgun ammo and it's worked great. I recently got the Lee 6.5 Grendel "Very Limited Production" 3 die set for my birthday but we haven't gotten to the point of actually using them (I have no idea why they call it the Very Limited Production set because it's been available for at least the last year that I know of). So I know that Lee dies aren't considered the best but it's all we can afford and they've worked great for us so far. Now as for my noob question...I see people talking about the "collet/neck sizing die" like it's something you should have for loading the Grendel. Is this really important to have if you're going to load the Grendel? What does it do that makes it so desirable above the standard Lee die set? Basically....do I need this? Why/Why not?

Thanks

Comment

• joedirt199
          Warrior
          • Jul 2015

No you don't need it if loading for a semi-auto grendel. It is nice to have for bolt actions as once fired brass is now "fitted" to your chamber and all that is needed to reload the brass is to size the neck for a bullet. The collet die does just that with very little stress on your brass. I have one for my .308 and .223 and they work nicely.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Brandi View Post
            Ok, stupid noob question time. Keep in mind I'm pretty new to reloading and all we reload at the moment is 9mm, .45 Colt and .357 magnum although we have dies waiting in the wings for 6.5 Grendel, .40 S&W, 5.56mm and .45-70 (at least that I can remember). Our plan is to be set up to reload 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, .38/.357mag, .44Spec/Mag, .45 Colt, .223/5.56, 6.5 Grendel, .30-06, .45-70 and .50 Beowulf so even though we are just loading a few of those currently I'm always trying to learn as much about reloading as possible in the meantime.

All of our dies are Lee and so far we've only loaded handgun ammo and it's worked great. I recently got the Lee 6.5 Grendel "Very Limited Production" 3 die set for my birthday but we haven't gotten to the point of actually using them (I have no idea why they call it the Very Limited Production set because it's been available for at least the last year that I know of). So I know that Lee dies aren't considered the best but it's all we can afford and they've worked great for us so far. Now as for my noob question...I see people talking about the "collet/neck sizing die" like it's something you should have for loading the Grendel. Is this really important to have if you're going to load the Grendel? What does it do that makes it so desirable above the standard Lee die set? Basically....do I need this? Why/Why not?

Thanks
            Brandi:

'Very Limited Production'? Hmmm.

Many discussions on Grendel dies. Basically they are poorly made and will overwork the necks of your brass and thus reduce your brass life by about half. Of all the Grendel dies, the Lees must be the worse made.

Many use bushing dies because they don't overwork the necks and a person can use different sizes to regulate neck tension.

Run a search on Grendel dies. You will get a feel for what guys prefer.

LR55

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

I guess I'll ask this here, I don't want to hijack but I think the OP questions were answered. Time to compile more info if no one minds.

So I'm pretty much settled on the Redding bushing style dies. Either the type S or the mic. Adjustable one that also controls the length the neck sizing bushing forms the neck.

Question: what size(s) dia. If course are you all using? Is .298" dia the only one I need? Would prefer to only get the one or two I NEED. and maybe one of two if needed way down the road if I switch brass brands.
              I ordered 500 Hornady brass I'm waiting to show up. I'm sure that will keep me busy for quite a few reloades.

Die list:
              Redding type S. Or bushing style mic adjustable.
              Redding body die
              Forster seating die.
              Maybe a Lee factory crimp die. Or taper crimp die.

Thanks all.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Depends on the brass thickness. Hornady and a .288 IIRC is what Klem suggested in another thread, and is what I tried. Spot on match for factory Hornady ammo OD at the neck with a 123 pill inserted. I could probably go to a .289 and still have sufficient neck tension. No crimp.

I bought .287, .288 and .289. $45 in bushings to be safe.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                  Depends on the brass thickness. Hornady and a .288 IIRC is what Klem suggested in another thread, and is what I tried. Spot on match for factory Hornady ammo OD at the neck with a 123 pill inserted. I could probably go to a .289 and still have sufficient neck tension. No crimp.

I bought .287, .288 and .289. $45 in bushings to be safe.
                  Sticks:

You won't regret it.

Before anyone other than Lee made Grendel dies, and after my experience with Lee dies, I bought a custom set of Grendel dies from a die maker. The set uses shoulder bushings so it is easy to set back the shoulder plus size the neck. The only problem is they don't body size.

When Redding came out with their competition bushing Grendel dies, I bought a set with the same size bushings you are using. Never had to look back. Just wish someone else would make a die with shoulder bushings because I believe they are far better for bumping brass while neck sizing.

LR55

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

Interesting. VERY interesting. I was also curious about bushing dies that bump the shoulder. Seems like I've seen them somewhere. Want to say Redding since I've mostly been looking at them.

Comment

• Brandi
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2014

Well I already have the Lee set of dies so I guess I'll see how it goes. I do know one thing, there's no way I could have afforded any of the other brands. I didn't even afford the Lee dies because I got them for my birthday. I can't imagine too many women are tickled to get Grendel dies, .45-70 dies and a bag of shiny new .45-70 brass for their birthday lol.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Yeah me either :s maybe that's why I'm still single lol. I think my ex just wanted me for my Python I wouldn't give it to her.. maybe that's where I went wrong.. but the python hasnt left me yet ;p

Yeah the Lee dies will do. But you may reach a point where you figure how much barrels cost but especially ammo and you realize you want to squeeze every dime out of performance to hit what your aiming at so as to not waste that hard earned money. I have to scrape by as well @ $14/hr IT SUCKS! but that's all the more reason I want the best dies. It's a one time investment unlike bullets and barrels and powder and everything else. I want my money to count for the most.

I dont know how big of a diff it will make (or any at all) but they might also decrease the life of brass by overworking thus costing you more money in the end.

Like most things good sound investments pay off.

With all that said again the Lee dies will do but these are just a few things to keep in mind down the road if you do find youself wanting a little more out of this sweet little zinger and maybe have a little more $ later on.
                        You CAN always buy them die by die. I think the body die is about $35 the bushing full length die is $60 or $90 and Forster makes a nice competition seater die for $88 I think it was. Far cheaper than the Redding but almost as nice from what I hear. Maybe nicer IDK?
                        Redding also makes a taper crimp die if you find you do need one but most everyone says you won't so I'd just write that one off.

Good luck Brandi, cool skull btw. Dead head?
                        Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 09-12-2017, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• Brandi
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                          Good luck Brandi, cool skull btw. Dead head?
                          Nope, just love pink and skulls. Thought it was pretty. Is it a Grateful Dead design?

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

Shop around. I just completed my reloading purchase for precison (was set up for bulk) and got all my stuff from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Cheaper than Midway, Brownells, and Amazon.

You will want the comparator as well. Read this thread -

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?14724-Make-life-easier-on-yourself-with-a-headspace-comparator-bushing

You do not have to buy the whole kit with several bushings. You can buy them separate.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Gman6.5
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Grendelshooter View Post
                              Hadn't heard of the MEC before but it's got a few advantages over the Forster: it's cheaper and it's in stock lol.
                              I bought one earlier this summer and have been impressed with immensely. been loading accurate 308 and 556 with all summer.

New to the 6.5 G I am getting ready to load a test batch of it in the next week or so.

Owned a co-ax and I am just as happy with the MEC. I think I may even like it a little better.

I will also say that it is the smoothest I have ever used.
                              Last edited by Gman6.5; 09-12-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Brandi View Post
                                Nope, just love pink and skulls. Thought it was pretty. Is it a Grateful Dead design?
                                Nope just has the feel. I got quite a few similar to it saved.

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                                Shop around. I just completed my reloading purchase for precison (was set up for bulk) and got all my stuff from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Cheaper than Midway, Brownells, and Amazon.

You will want the comparator as well. Read this thread -

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?14724-Make-life-easier-on-yourself-with-a-headspace-comparator-bushing

You do not have to buy the whole kit with several bushings. You can buy them separate.
                                Good tip I'll have to check them out. Thanks. I just got the Wilson case Gage but I plan on getting a Sheridan window in as well as the Hornady comparator as well.

Originally posted by Gman6.5 View Post
                                I bought one earlier this summer and have been impressed with immensely. been loading accurate 308 and 556 with all summer.

New to the 6.5 G I am getting ready to load a test batch of it in the next week or so.

Owned a co-ax and I am just as happy with the MEC. I think I may even like it a little better.

I will also say that it is the smoothest I have ever used.
                                Interesting thanks for the insight. I have a Co-Ax but I was kinda curious about the me as well. Which reminds me. I have shotgun loading stuff to buy as well where is the money pit emoticon? It's like the make it rain emoticon but with a trash can under it.

Comment

Working...
                                X