• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Initial tests of SST and ABLR - 129 gr bullets

In response to LR-52 recommendations, I got some 129's for testing out of my 18" Grendel.
    I spent a range session today doing some initial velocity tests for the 129 SST and 129 ABLR.
    I'm doing this to sort of scope-out what to expect from my barrel for these, before I get to more serious load laddering.
    The conditions were average for my indoor 100 yd range here in NOVA. I used 1x Hornady brass, cci450 primers, loading both sets to 2.260 after verifying they will fit ok in the chamber.

I'm loading 1 round apiece for CFE-223 of 29.8, 30.0, 30.2, 30.4, and 30.6 of each bullet. Once I have an idea what to expect I will commence some ladder and accuracy tests for each one. If I can get an accurate node somewhere 2380-2400 ft/sec then I can see using them possibly this fall in CO at 8500 +/- ft. I doubt if there is a node higher than this that I can reach, which is ok.
    Anyway, I have a pic of the data and of a graph along side, I also added a linear estimate b/c I don't expect to go higher than the listed 30.6... (idk maybe for the sst, Hornady lists up to 31.7 but the book velocities are slower than what I got today...)
    I also have pix of the POIs for each set of 5, I don't know if the impact points tell me anything or not since it is a limited dataset, but I have 'em anyway. They are labeled 1-5 in order of increasing powder load.
    Testing was at 100 yds.
    Now to attach the pix.

65Grendel-A-129-tests.jpg

20170702_202151.jpg

20170702_202314.jpg
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • maxxmojo
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2016

Nice, my next load development will be the 129 ABLR's with CFE223 so I'll be following your progress.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

I would not go over 30.4 with the sst in your gun. That drop in velocity from 30.4 to 30.6 is telling you it's time to stop.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• 65Whelen
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Been using the 129SST with good results and have loaded a box of the 129ABLRs. Still working on a load for the ABLR and I've also settled on using CFE223. Please continue to post your progress. Great range report.

Comment

• paul foreman
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

thank you, sir. 2,400 fps out of an 18-inch barrel is impressive. twist?

Comment

• Bobke
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

Where did you find 129 ABLR's-they're scarce as hens teeth?

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Replies to various...
              30.4 at least for the ABLR - I also think that's the limit... I went slightly above to confirm; LR-52 says that's about 50k psi for the Grendel. But since it's only 1 round for each charge there might be some deviation in velocity built in... that's why I did a linear projection/estimate also. I still don't plan to go above it however...
              My twist is a 5R, hybrid 8.5 twist, melonite barrel; it's been kinda fast for other loads too.
              The 129 ABLRs were at Bruno's shooting, they do go fast though!
              Last edited by grayfox; 07-03-2017, 03:23 PM. Reason: spell chekker!!

Comment

• paul foreman
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2017

thanks. mine's a 9 twist ...

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Your results are right inline with mine for 129gr ABLR from 18" guns.

I think CFE223 and 129gr ABLR are a great combo because Nosler jackets tend to be really soft, with a lot of fouling.

CFE actually does perform as advertised in that regard by eliminating a lot of copper fouling, so I don't see the kinds of issues I used to where I needed to clean after shooting Nosler BTs before shooting another bullet manufacturer/jacket type.

This came up all the time on the forum many years ago.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Well, the last 2 trips to the range have seen me, well, a bit challenged, shaky, I don't know what, but not a rock solid couple of trips. Some data however.
                    I did do some load testing in the 29.9 - 30.4 range with the 129 ABLRs. I'm not 100% sure but I think the best so far seems to be 30.0 of the CFE223. Which puts it at estimated 2390 ft/sec. I'll chrono them later after one more trip to verify. Plus as an observation, seating them to 2.260 I hear/feel a slight crunch at 30.1, 30.2 etc so pretty sure I'm slightly compressed. With CFE the "sound" isn't so much as it is a "feel" of compression; there is certainly a little sound/feel.
                    I'm also going to try out the 130 AB at a similar charge - I know it has a lower BC but it's also ~0.030 shorter in length and I'm thinking that case space might be useful... but we'll see. At 300 yd the energy diff is only about 40-50 fpe, both are going > 2000.
                    Pictures from today, with ranges of 29.9-30.2 by 0.1 gr graduations. All 2x brass and cci450 primers.
                    One more comment, they were shot by groups, 29.9 set to 30.2 set, after the 30.0 group I adjusted my scope up 1", for the 30.1 and 30.2 groups.

20170706_155455.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X