• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brett
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

123gr Lapua Scenar

I haven't had the best consistency with the Nosler CC's so I picked up some Lapua's. I can't find any load data in any of my manuals for these bullets in the Grendel. I want to try 8208xbr first, will try AR Comp and CFE if that does not work out. Does anyone have some load data for this? If I can't come up with any, I will just start low with the Nosler data. Thanks fellas!
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Very prominent in Volume I of the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks. I've found that data for it and the 123gr SMK are the same, as they have about the same profile, shank length, boat tails, and ogives.

With 8208XBR, don't exceed 28.5gr (Compressed). Work up in .3gr increments. Hodgdon's has data for that with pressures listed and we included those in Volume I.

With AR Comp, work up to 27.5gr. I only see data for that with 123gr AMAX and 123gr SST, which don't intrude as much as the 123gr Scenar.

With CFE223, work up to 31.5gr.

Use .3gr increments for work-up and some way to chronograph if you can.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Brett
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2017

OK, I just ordered your Grendel Handbooks! I think they will provide all the info I will need and then some. Thanks for the reply and the advanced info to get me going with the Lapua bullets.

Comment

• borregobob

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Very prominent in Volume I of the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks. I've found that data for it and the 123gr SMK are the same, as they have about the same profile, shank length, boat tails, and ogives.

With 8208XBR, don't exceed 28.5gr (Compressed). Work up in .3gr increments. Hodgdon's has data for that with pressures listed and we included those in Volume I.

With AR Comp, work up to 27.5gr. I only see data for that with 123gr AMAX and 123gr SST, which don't intrude as much as the 123gr Scenar.

With CFE223, work up to 31.5gr.

Use .3gr increments for work-up and some way to chronograph if you can.
        These are about correct but probably he won''t need to get to 31.5gr of CFE.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

You can carefully approach 28.0 with AR Comp

I want to work up a ladder with AR Comp and 123 Scenars for my new JP 22er but haven't seen any published data on the World Wide Web. XBR didn't give me much velocity before the accuracy node started widening. CFE 223 gave me some results to pursue further, but man that stuff is messy to work with. It appears like the low

With 123 Scenars and ar comp in my JP 22er, 28 is where I started seeing pressure signs and my SDs started to widen. With XBR, I started seeing pressure signs at 28 and at 31.2 with CFE223 (i.e., below "max"). 30.8 of CFE ended up being my sweet spot

No need to push the envelope and chase velocity with the 123 scenars - they have the longest legs in the Horde's harem. Be sure to check how they fit in your chamber - I'm at a coal of 2.240 in my JP vs 2.260 for them in my AR Stoner / Satern.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• borregobob

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
            You can carefully approach 28.0 with AR Comp

I want to work up a ladder with AR Comp and 123 Scenars for my new JP 22er but haven't seen any published data on the World Wide Web. XBR didn't give me much velocity before the accuracy node started widening. CFE 223 gave me some results to pursue further, but man that stuff is messy to work with. It appears like the low

With 123 Scenars and ar comp in my JP 22er, 28 is where I started seeing pressure signs and my SDs started to widen. With XBR, I started seeing pressure signs at 28 and at 31.2 with CFE223 (i.e., below "max"). 30.8 of CFE ended up being my sweet spot

No need to push the envelope and chase velocity with the 123 scenars - they have the longest legs in the Horde's harem. Be sure to check how they fit in your chamber - I'm at a coal of 2.240 in my JP vs 2.260 for them in my AR Stoner / Satern.
            53K is well below where you will see pressure signs so if you work up to where you see pressure your already well over the high pressure.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Originally posted by borregobob View Post
              53K is well below where you will see pressure signs so if you work up to where you see pressure your already well over the high pressure.
              Yup. The point is with the same brass, primer (a relatively thin GM205M), bullet, COAL, bolt and barrel, I got pressure signs below "max" with XBR and CFE223 while I got them at 28.0 with AR Comp.....
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

These are about correct but probably he won''t need to get to 31.5gr of CFE.
                Let me guess, you have a special spreadsheet with better data, am I right?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Where do you see a reference for 53K? What basis are you giving advice from?
                  Last edited by LRRPF52; 08-04-2017, 01:44 AM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Let me guess, you have a special spreadsheet with better data, am I right?
                    Lol.
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Jakal
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

Subscribed
                      ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

Working...
                      X