Hydroforming brass- of donuts, soft necks, and saving ammo components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneTower

When I have time, I will post a picture. It is very simple. you need to get a shell holder and fill the hole in it so that the primer is not squired out with the water pressure. I turned a plug and loctited it in place.

You run the brass through the resizing die as you normally would to size down the neck. You then move it over to a press such as an old rockchucker that cams over and you have your die set up as normal with the center stem removed. you find a drill bit that fits properly (use a cheap set of bits that has numbers/letters/and fraction bits. You can either use the one out of the set or go and buy one of that size. You drill a hole in a piece of steel to use as a striking surface/handle and you epoxy the fluted end into that hole and you use the shank as a punch. You fill the necked down case with water. Make sure you still have an old primer seated. You put it in the press, run it to the top and insert the punch and hit it with a 2 pound hammer about twice. You have a case that is 99% formed.

It is very simple. I did not invent the process, I just found an easy way to make the punch. The video on YouTube that one of the members here put out gives an excellent illustration of the process.

I no longer form the brass. When I first got my Grendel, the brass was hard to find and the stuff I could get was $105.00 per hundred. Later, I came upon 500 once fired AA cases for $30.00 per 100. The cost of the 7.62x39 brass was that much and my time is worth something.

I do believe that if you want to form brass the hydro forming method is easy, fast, and does not use expensive components to make brass. Unless you have a bunch of 7.62x39 brass laying around it does not make economic sense to form the brass being that there is good brass available.

Comment

Working...
    X