• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
    New Hornady brass is 46c each at Midsouth. Starline is a penny more.

For most of us it is still better to buy AG for 70c each. Most of the good 6.5mm bullets are around a quarter each.

Something I've wondered about...isn't it true that the most accurate loads are from brass that has been fire-formed in your chamber? So if you buy new or used brass the first load won't be the best, the second will.
    If true, we are better off buying AG to fireform than new or used empty brass.

I've also thought of trying some pull-downs (is that the right term?) and replacing the AG bullet and powder for a new load. Or evening out the powder charges in a number of cases for better consistency and accuracy.
    Randy:

I really doubt it makes a difference in anything but a serious bench rest rifle. Certainly not a gas operated rifle. Also, if someone full length sizes, it tosses out most if not all of any perceived benefit.

I do think that a guy who buys used brass shot through another chamber is more likely to have headspace problems for a shot or two than if he used new brass. And he will probably find it doesn't last as long as it theoretically should last.

If someone has blasted it full auto, I would not buy it. I would take it for free though, because you get a decent price for brass at the reclamation center.

LR55

Comment

• FW Conch
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

^ "LR", I'm glad to see You making this point, because it is so true.^ I am a bolt rifle shooter, and I went with the Grendel because it is a 6.5 on a standardized case based off the PPC. As a bolt rifle shooter, I am not impressed with 1 MOA accuracy. In 1970, I bought a Rem 700 BDL 30/06, mounted a 2-7 Weaver scope, and with factory ammo, 125 gen to220grn, proceeded to shoot 5 shot groups that I could completely cover with a Quarter, prone from sand bags. A Quarter is 15/16" outside to outside. Figure the MOA on that. So since 1970, when people rant about MOA, I have wondered, "what's the big deal"? I don't compete, because I'm nowhere near good enough. My BIL recently won a match at Whitehorse, Wv. with a 5 shot group at 600 yds. 1.9xx". In an event like that, I would just be in the way.

I'm glad that people are interested in the shooting sports and spending money on it, because it keeps us all in the game. But I am often amazed at what some expect from the AR platform, and the amounts of money they are willing to put toward it.

Just Me, Just Saying ... ;-))
      Last edited by FW Conch; 07-24-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• oyster
        Warrior
        • Jul 2018

Any hunting reports on this ammo yet? Thanks Jay

Comment

• imaguy3
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by oyster View Post
          I smoked a coyote with one.. it did the job.. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...eriences/page2

Comment

• rmrvtr
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2017

Hornady American Gunner Performed at Appleseed KD.
            Last week at the Appleseed KD at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Estacada, OR. AG worked great and shot really consistantly. Over the course of the day we shot 3 AQT's and I made rifleman on all three(202, 236, and 218 Points).

Here are the come ups that I used.
            100 yards - Zero
            200 yards - up .6 mil
            300 yards - up 1.5 mils
            400 yards - up 2.4 mils

After the Appleseed event I stopped by Sportsman's to replenish my supply and to my surprise they had 6 cans in stock. Two of which came home with me

My grendel has a 24 inch Brownells (Satern), a vortex pst g2 5-25 and a Geissele National match trigger.

If you have the opportunity to participate in an Appleseed KD go for it. It's a great time.

Here is the target from the day, with most shots staying in the black.
            target_image.jpg

rmrvtr

Comment

• imaguy3
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by oyster View Post
              Here's some more... http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Gunner-coyote

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Hornady 6.5 Grendel American Gunner Done?

Maybe I missed it but I don’t see the Grendel American Gunner being listed on the Hornady website anymore? Still showing 300 BO (Who cares? ) and 223, 308, etc,......but no Grendel! I just picked up 2K more in the last couple of weeks from Sportsman’s Warehouse and am getting back in the reloading game, so not the end of the world just yet. Just hate lose one more option, and a big one, doesn’t bode well for its popularity.
                Last edited by Harpoon1; 12-22-2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• shooter545
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2012

I had not heard that. I have it stacked pretty deep and will be reloading again once the new shop is finished so I am pretty set but might need to make a run to SW just to have a little "rucksack reserve".

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

I didn't know it was ever listed on their website.

Does sportsman warehouse show it as discontinued?

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post

Ditto. Still available on their website.
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

It wasn't listed on Hornady's website when it came out, because it's an exclusive with Sportsman's.

It is still on their website and always in stores when I have gone to them. I have 2 Sportsman's local to me within 15 minutes of each other here in the Salt Lake Valley.

Hornady American Gunner

A simple search could have alleviated this question.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Harpoon1
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post

Well, I thought I’d had seen it listed on Hornady’s website before, and think I’ve purchased it from other vendors online, didn’t know it was an “exclusive”. My mistake.
                          Last edited by Harpoon1; 12-22-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            It wasn't listed on Hornady's website when it came out, because it's an exclusive with Sportsman's.

It is still on their website and always in stores when I have gone to them. I have 2 Sportsman's local to me within 15 minutes of each other here in the Salt Lake Valley.

Hornady American Gunner

A simple search could have alleviated this question.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Just like the Savage 12FV at Cabelas. Exclusive to them.

Comment

• terrywick4
                                Warrior
                                • Sep 2014

sportsmans warehouse has it in stock yet

Comment

Working...
                                X