I'm sorry to ask again...A-Max, SST, or ELX-M????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdelong
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

I'm sorry to ask again...A-Max, SST, or ELX-M????

Purpose: hunting white-tail deer, east coast (Virginia, NC).
    Primary Rifle: 18" Odin Works 6.5G, suppressed.
    Secondary: 12" Faxon, also suppressed.

It looks like I can find all of these right now with A-max becoming harder to find. I just finished getting my drops taken care of using 123gr A-max and need to validate that they are the same with SST (or adjust).

No experience with ELD-M, but the "M" stands for "match," which automatically makes me skeptical. I've read many of the entries regarding killing hogs with them, a few deer, etc, are they the same as the SST's, etc.

If you were going to make a decent sized purchase (500-1K rounds) for the primary intention of target shooting AND hunting, what is your choice, SST, A-max, or ELD-M? Or something else? These all fall in a similar price range that I am happy with and I am NOT a reloader.

Thanks experts!

Jon
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

The 123 grain SST bullet is designed to be a hunting bullet. The 123 grain SST has a cannelure in the jacket which aids in keeping the jacket attached to the lead core. The A-Max and ELD-M are designed for target shooting. At close range the A-Max and ELD-M can over expand or fragment if hitting large strong bones like shoulder and upper leg bones. This expansion and fragmentation limits penetration.

Many hunters like a bullet which will completely perforate the target to ensure a visibile blood trail. The Barnes monolithic TSX and TTSX are noted for this type of performance. The Nosler Partitions are designed to be deep penetrators where the bullet core will have enough mass to push through the target.

Many forum members have used 123 grain A-Max on deer with success but you have to realize that the higher the velocity, close range, the greater likely hood the bullet may under penetrate especially if the bullet strikes a large bone. Classic example is your using a 24” barrel and have a deer 30 yards away, I would not aim for the shoulder. Some hunters complain the A-Max causes to much tissue damage compared to the monolithic bullets. Here again it all depends on the barrel length of your 6.5 Grendel, distance to target and shot placement.

I’ve read the 123 grain SST requires a minimum of 1800 FPS to expand which should be taken into consideration for determining the maximum range when using your 12” 6.5 Grendel. Supposedly the 123 grain A-Max will expand at a little lower velocity than the 123 grain SST. The reports I’ve read indicates the 123 grain ELD-M performs in a similar manner to the 123 grain A-Max. Since Hornady has stopped production on the A-Max and the ELD-M black can be found cheaper than the 123 grain SST I’d stock up on the ELD-M and just be aware of it’s limitation in the hunting role.

I haven’t shot enough 123 grain ELD-M and 123 grain SST ammo to see how close they both are to my rifles zero. The last time I shot 123 grain A-Max and 123 grain SST both struck close enough to my zero point to be accurate for hunting out to at least 250 yards.

To my knowledge the ELD-X is the hunting version of the ELD bullet line from Hornady. I haven’t seen any 123 grain ELD-X ammo or bullets for sale. I would assume the performance of the ELD-X would be similar to the 123 grain SST but with a more heat resistent polymer tip on the ELD-X. The only ELD-X bullet I’ve seen for sale were 140 grain which is probably to heavy for the 6.5 Grendel.

Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-06-2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• jdelong
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

This is great, thanks! I've been able to find SST's so I am thinking I'll go with those. From what I've read (no chrono), they are in the 22-2300'ish range out of a 12" barrel.

Thanks again!

Jon

Comment

• Lone Hunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

jdelong, I load my own.. I've shot the SST's and ELD M bullets. The ELD M's shoot better out of my .264 LBC and the Howa Mini Grendel. I've shot both reloads and factory and I will be shooting the ELD M for hunting. They are supposed to be tha same as the AMAX but a different tip. I will be deer and coyote hunting as we don't have hogs in my hunting area. I believe either bullet will do good but you know what happens when you assume. Hopefully I can tell you how the ELD M does in about 2 weeks. If you don't reload save your brass for future reloading or put it for sale on here to recoup some of the cost of your factory loads. Good Luck hunting this year and let us know how it performs. There is also a thread on here how a certain bullet performed on animals. Can't remember the names of it though.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I think the SST will give you more penetration with quartering shots on deer, otherwise you probably won't see much difference with broadside shots.

These bullets are pretty long, so the tails stay relatively intact, driving them deep through tissue.

123gr AMAX was discontinued and replaced with the 123gr ELD-M.

You can get 123gr ELD-M for 84 cents per right now.

Or you can walk into a Sportsman's Warehouse and get 200rd boxes of 123gr BTHP American Gunner target load for $140.

Use 123gr SST for your hunts, and train the rest of the time with American Gunner load.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jdelong
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

thanks...SST it is. I don't have access (yet) to the American Gunner stuff. Hopefully soon - I am in Virginia so it will have to be online.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

jdelong, found the thread I was referring to. I was going to use the SST which I think would be a better hunting bullet but where I hunt the shots are not going to be far. ELD M shot better. The advice LRRPF52 gave you is good advice. Here is the link.

Could we try and gather some data from our Grendel performance in game? Please keep it short for ease of orientation. BULLET WHAT ANIMAL SHOT APPR DISTANCE SHOT WHERE IN THE BODY IT WAS SHOT DISTANCE TRAVELLED AFTER SHOT M/YDS Here's a summary from post #35

Comment

• jdelong
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

thanks, appreciate the link.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Vas, the Eld, is the A max with the new Delrin tip. It's not magic. The older Amax, & the ELD, share the same AMP copper thin jacket. Designed for targets firstly,,,

The SST has the Gilding copper jacket- tuff stuff- that lead to the GMX all Gilding that I use.

The more bone on hit with the thin skin amp jacketed pills-- the more lead spray throughout the body- into the meat of the game animal. Google it, stay safe gents. and gals.

Comment

• jackRyan
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2020

Sorry that I am 5 years too late to get in on this thread, BUT I would love to hear the skinny on all three Hornady 123 boolits now, after this five year old thread. I shoot all three of these boolits exclusively. I do have a very hard time seeing any difference at all. All three are sub moa @100 yards. When I shoot 200 I have to give a very very slight edge to the ELD. The A-Max may have even a lesser advantage over the other 2 @300 yards. I am shooting a Sanders Armory 18 inch upper. It shoots. I have a box of Federal that I am going to try out as well. My friends range has 3- 1000 yard lanes. I am going to shoot 500 first, and maybe try 1000 If all goes well @500. Now I am hearing that 100 and 110 grain boolits are opening eyes. Any response would be appreciated. OH BTW I have seen a few stories about a stray 6.8 boolit showing up in the A-Max 6.5 grendel boxes.I check them all. I just bought 311 rounds of A-max today for a smokin deal. $265. I had to drive 10 miles to get them. I bet that is a rare deal. He sold his Ruger 6.5Grendel bolt. My gain. The A-Max are hard to come by. Almost as cheap as hand loading. Thanks for any reply

Comment

Working...
                    X