X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

So I got my Bluetooth app finally working seems you have to have your Location GPS on which I never have on....
    There is no Print or Email function from the App so it is basically worthless to me.... does nothing the LabRadar unit itself does not do.
    Still need to take the SD card out to email or print.
    ― George Orwell

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
      So I got my Bluetooth app finally working seems you have to have your Location GPS on which I never have on....
      There is no Print or Email function from the App so it is basically worthless to me.... does nothing the LabRadar unit itself does not do.
      Still need to take the SD card out to email or print.
      Can you save the data on your phone and then print from there?

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        Can you save the data on your phone and then print from there?
        Good question because no, you can't print from the app or export anything as a file for attaching to an email or message. The strings of shots are saved on your phone when you unplug the radar for viewing in the app on the phone only. You can delete individual shots and whole strings on the phone but you can't send them anywhere else.

I agree with 71...the app is a Bluetooth clone of the buttons on the radar, plus it saves the velocities in the app itself (not as a separate exportable file). Saves you shifting your position to press buttons but that's about it. You still need to connect the radar to a device or use an SSID card to manipulate, send , print and store your results in the usual fashion. Haven't used it at the range yet but I can imagine the phone is going to do its usual thing and go to sleep between strings.

The graph function is not a shadow of what you can do in Excel and it would be more useful if it could export basic numerical data files like an Excel .XLS or .CSV or even a basic text file like the phone's 'Notes' app.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

I have no problem waiting until I get home to play with the SD card on my PC. Trying to do all that on a phone a the range would be annoying. Presuming they have a developer worth their weight, they will hopefully take suggestions and make mods to the app as time moves on.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I tried my Labradar at the range with a 26" barreled rifle.
            I could not get the Labradar far enough forward to reliably trigger with my light loads. The table at the range is too short.
            The Labradar appears to require quite a bit of muzzle blast to trigger it so needs to be near the end of the barrel with light loads.
            Today, I made an extension out of a 4 foot piece of hardwood flooring with a 1/4" threaded rod on the end.
            I plan to clamp this to the table at the rear end and have also installed a bolt about midway on the piece of flooring for elevation adjustment.
            I have to do something about a sighting tube for alignment.
            I can arm and disarm the Labradar from my phone with the app. I don't know if I can start a new string from the app or must do it from the main unit.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

I have used the radar with a 26" barrel (photo). It functions fine half way along the barrel, so back from the muzzle. Labradar recommends setting it up back from the muzzle when you have a brake or large calibre. The only time I have found the microphone doesn't work is when using a suppressor (then you select Doppler mode). I use a pen to help point the radar at the target. Hold it in the groove on the top to check alignment. I wouldn't imagine your light rifle loads are any less muzzle pressure than a handgun so maybe it has to do with alignment with the target. Mine was activating on the sound of another shooter five benches along the firing line. Because their bullet does not enter the radar cone it comes up with that warning screen saying it did not detect the bullet and you then have to press a button to clear it. You can vary the sensitivity of the microphone with '1' being the most sensitive. It's also the default setting so you probably had yours on '1' at the time. If you have a tripod you could also use that forward of the bench.

I don't particularly care for the phone app. It's either playing around with the phone or leaning over to press buttons the radar. The novelty of the phone app wears off pretty quickly.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

My first 2 shot triggered fine with the LR positioned halfway down the barrel but the next 8 shots did not.
                I moved the muzzle back as far as I could and the next 20 shots were about 50% triggered.
                The near max loads from a 6.5SPC (Six5) from a 16" barrel triggered 100% but these had more blast due to the shorter barrel as well the end of the barrel positioned near the LR so the LR should work well once I get it figured out.
                I will add more powder to my reloads next time. The primers were backed out a bit but were very rounded.
                Using the phone app meant I did not bump the LR out of aim while pushing the buttons.

Klem,
                So, are you happy with your LR overall?

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

bj,

Yes, happy in the sense it is quick to set up and allows me to shoot groups at the same time (no wasting ammo). Better than the old fold-out Chrony it replaced which is far less reliable where you have to faff around setting it up and being careful when shooting.

Like you say, the microphone could be more efficient and I don't have much use for downrange velocities. The BC that JBM-online lets you calculate using a MV and a downrange velocity appears to be no more precise than sourcing the manufacturer's stated BC. I need to do more testing here though, early days. It is relatively expensive so that didn't exactly make me happy. The sales rep Richard Mouser was unhelpful in declining to provide a voltage range to build your own battery pack. He also pretends to be an innocent third party when defending his product on Youtube before being outed. That, and not bothering to answer some of my emails had me delaying purchase for about a year. In the end I convinced myself that the sales-rep is not the product.

It chews batteries fast so you have to use it with a rechargeable battery pack. I use a Li-ion with a voltage regulator which caps the voltage at 5V (5V is a standard for USB connections). The SD card is an easy transfer to the laptop. I now have too many velocity readings whereas before the Chrony would only come out when absolutely necessary.

All in all I am happy with it. It's a good bit of kit if you are into load development.
                  Last edited by Klem; 07-04-2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

I didn't even put batteries into the LR just used a USB phone battery with the cable supplied by LR.
                    That way, no batteries can leak into the housing.
                    I have a Chrony from the 1980s but haven't used it since then. There are a few holes in the cardboard uppers.
                    It was a PITA when I used it. I was afraid I was going to shoot it eventually.

The LR shows my 6.5SPC (necked down and shortened 6.8SPC) is going 2895fps with an 85gr Sierra with 1.6cc of LVR.
                    I didn't think it would be that high. The primers show no pressure signs.
                    Last edited by bj139; 07-05-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                      I didn't even put batteries into the LR just used a USB phone battery with the cable supplied by LR.
                      That way, no batteries can leak into the housing.
                      I have a Chrony from the 1980s but haven't used it since then. There are a few holes in the cardboard uppers.
                      It was a PITA when I used it. I was afraid I was going to shoot it eventually.

The LR shows my 6.5SPC (necked down and shortened 6.8SPC) is going 2895fps with an 85gr Sierra with 1.6cc of LVR.
                      I didn't think it would be that high. The primers show no pressure signs.
                      A correction from yesterday: I forgot I shot ten 308 Win factory loads yesterday which were at a velocity of 2895fps, not the 6.5SPC which showed 2189fps.
                      I think factory 308 is listed as 2900fps so very close.
                      I shot a string of 6.5 SPC today with 85gr Sierra and 1.9cc LVR at a velocity of 2462fps.

I tried my newly designed Labradar extended mount and it worked very well to get the LR out near the end of a long muzzle.
                      Aiming the LR did not seem to be particularly critical. It didn't miss a single shot. I wish I could label strings on the Labradar app.
                      I will have to use the low tech pen and paper approach next time.
                      r

Comment

• FW Conch
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

^ That setup can't be good for Your barrel harmonics ^ ???

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                          ^ That setup can't be good for Your barrel harmonics ^ ???
                          Yes. Many would think so. Yesterday, I only shot a 1.06 MOA 5 shot group that way with charges thrown by a Lee dipper, not weighed.

Most of my better 5 shot groups have been shot this way. Add a gas block and tube and all bets are off.

It's not understandable but neither are barrel harmonics.

Comment

• waveslayer
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2013

Several things that I have learned about using the Labradar:
                            1) Buy a battery pack. I bought a nice battery pack that I can use to charge cell phones etc... I use that instead of using batteries. Mine will last all day no problem!
                            2) the Microphone is terrible when using a can. I actually set up the Labradar so the can is a tad behind the microphone, Just make sure you don't shoot the Labradar. I have some carbon marks on the Labradar, but it reads every shot
                            3) On Amazon there is a tripod that is perfect size that allows you to shoot prone, it was like $13 bucks! it's metal. If anyone wants the link, let me know, I will dig it up.
                            4) I am almost done with a 3D printed sight that will bolt onto the top, using the existing screw up top. Then you won't have any issues aiming it towards your target. Once it's complete I can post pictures and sell a few for our costs
                            5) App, I just screen shot the data , I then have it saved it a Labradar file on my phone where I have developed a nice library I can use for future use. I usually upload the info to Cold Bore or and Excel spread sheet I made
                            6) When using a Muzzle brake, I just set the Labradar up right aligned with the turrets of my scope. It works every time. I do have to make sure the labradar isn't turned from the air moving it, my Lazzeroni Warbird moves the labradar using the Little Bastard brake.

That has been my experience. I love it, best Chrono IMHB. I only have the Magneto speed for a backup now. But MK Machining makes a nice adapter for the Magneto speed so it doens't touch your barrel at all, so it's now like the Labradar. Pretty cool little mount they made. Set up takes some time though.

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

waveslayer,

Have you tried using it on Doppler mode with the suppressor?

Comment

• waveslayer
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                                waveslayer,

Have you tried using it on Doppler mode with the suppressor?
                                i haven't yet, I have to travel to Nevada to get my Cans. I am living in Communist California at the moment! It's a 3 hour drive to get the cans then to the range. Once I head to Utah I can test it out on Doppler mode

Comment

Working...
                                X