Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

The numbers are conversions from Metric guidelines, so I'm guessing a European or possibly Australia/New Zealand?

Comment

Europe, the particular requirement is German. Not sure why they have it, I haven't seen any hogs wearing body armour yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix View Post
        ...snip...
        Hoot,
        I read about the mag and upper modification for the OSSM. If you loaded the 129gr SST to an OAL of 2.40", will you get the 2500 fps out of the 20" barrel?
        So far, I haven't tried any bullet that would allow me to seat it that long without being into the lands long before then, so I haven't pursued it with the Grendel. I imagine the long, slender ogive bullets could take advantage of it, just haven't tried any. That mod works best with calibers requiring a single stack. All the tips are in a tight straight row, so you don't have to cut a very wide slit for them. In a staggered mag, the necessary slit is much wider, opening the mag up to increased risk of crud getting into it. Still, it's got me thinking...

Hoot

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Aster, how far do you shoot these hunting bullets at game ?

Comment

In Germany, there is quite a bit of forest where the boars are more prevalent. If deer, I still don't see too many cases when you'll have to shoot at a lot of distances past 200m, unless you go lengthwise with an open farm field. The elevation and relief is quite undulating and hilly, with plenty of trees.

I get 2520fps with 120gr SMK's out of my 16" Grendel, so a longer barreled Grendel should provide more than sufficient velocity for most of the hunting distances I can imagine im Deutschland.

Comment

Typical distances are 70 to 250yds. Many hogs are taken at night, so distances are short. Mountain goats may require longer shots up to 450yds.

I don't have any concerns regarding the actual performance of the Grendel at standard velocities, just need to know if I will be able to work up a load that will meet the energy requirement with a hunting bullet. Going with a barrel longer than 20" is not my idea of the AR unfortunately.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                I get 2520fps with 120gr SMK's out of my 16" Grendel, so a longer barreled Grendel should provide more than sufficient velocity for most of the hunting distances I can imagine im Deutschland.
                What powder and load are you getting that with?

Thanks!

RR

Comment

Are you wedded to the 130 gr bullets?

A 120 gr TTSX will get you 1500 ft-lbs at 100 meters, from a 20" barrel . They will penetrate as well as the AccuBonds.

Who measures the performance of the ammunition, to meet the silly rule?

Comment

Not at all, 120gr TTSX would be fine. Can you reliably shoot them at 2600fps out of a 20" barrel though?

I think I will try to get my hands on a stronger bolt from AR Performance.. edit: not an option, they don't export. Bummer.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-25-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

I am getting consistent 2550 fps with the 120 gr TTSX out of my 20" Grendel. This is with a load that was interpolated from factory load data (I don't hot-rod). The Black Hills factory load using this bullet is reputed to run 2600-2650. Given the std ICAO BC of this bullet (0.444) the 2550 will get you 1450 ft lbs at 100m, and 2600 is over 1500 ft lbs. Your goal seems achievable.

1500 ft lbs is an unnecessary floor for elk, let alone boar. Silly rules.

Comment

Thanks a lot. Reliable 2600 fps is what I need though. BC might be more around .420 due to the lower velocity the bullet is shot at. I will look into it and see if I can find load data and velocities for the 120gr TTSX.

Yep, but the rules are what they are.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by Ullr View Post
                          I am getting consistent 2550 fps with the 120 gr TTSX out of my 20" Grendel. This is with a load that was interpolated from factory load data (I don't hot-rod).
                          What's your load for that?

RR

Comment

Great God, Can you imagine some bespeckeled game warden wearing lederhosen come marching up to your stand pulling a cart filled with chronograph, scales, calculator ect!!! What do beaurocrats do with their spare time, check the air pressure in their neighbors tires?

Sorry, only two cups of coffee so far.....Alex

Comment

Well, stubborn traditionalism is a big thing within parts of the hunting community over here. Some of these folks have a serious problem with the use of AR type rifles for hunting. As the AR-15 is usually chambered in 5.56/.223, there will be people questioning whether you are using a legal caliber if you're hunting for instance hogs with an AR rifle. It's not so unlikely that such a "fellow" hunter will make a report to the authorities. Pathetic, isn't it. Anyways, sure you might get away with it if they don't look into the actual ballistics of the Grendel out of your rifle, but I prefer to play by the rules. Just in case.

Comment

Asterix,

Stubborn traditionalism has its place, but it too often is simply a mask for self righteous egotism. This is particularly true of caliber restrictions for hunting. Some people feel the need to prove that they are a ballistics expert or a manly man, by turning their nose up at what others shoot. Where I live, we have no caliber restriction, and I defend this rigorously. People are always claiming that it is a bad thing, "Because people will hunt moose with a .22 long rifle". No they wont. It is too difficult and expensive to hunt big game for people to risk using grossly inadequate calibers. If they are going to have a caliber restriction (and I do not think they should) in my mind it should be a maximum caliber limit, not a minimum. The far more common problem, and it is very common, is the idiots taking a .340 Weatherby to the field, when they can't handle the recoil and blast that such a cannon produces. Far too many hunters are overgunned, because self appointed "experts" out there are addressing their personal feelings of inadequacy by advising that a .300 Win mag is the minimum necessary to reliably kill a white tail deer. And it is idiots like that who tend to be the ones pushing and defining caliber restrictions.

How are the silly rules enforced? Do they make you shoot over a chrono at 100m? Several published loads make 2600 or more with a 120 gr bullet. If the authorities are willing to accept that ...

Ranger Rick

This is my personal load. I believe it to be safe, and it has proven to be so over hundreds of rounds in my gun, but it is not a pressure tested or published load. I make no warranties, I am just an anonymous idiot on the internet, and all other caveats apply - 120 gr TTSX seated to mag length over 28.75 gr of TAC. Standard small or large rifle primer as the Grendel brass (not resized 7.62x39) requires. Typically makes 2550 out of my 20" CSS chambered barrel, and shoots well under MOA with my sorry finger on the trigger.

Comment

Working...
                                X