• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muvef
    Warrior
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
    I'd be interested to see what your data looks like up around 90 deg. In general, I like the powder but I'm a bit concerned about what I saw at higher temps.
    DB,

I agree with you on the temperature sensitivity of the powder. I do not load bulk precision ammo anymore. If I'm going to shoot on the weekend, I usually load my rounds up the week before. My plan is to reduce the powder charge as needed or not use it at all.

Personally I think PPV is a exceptional powder. I tried almost every available powder w/ published load data for the round. Everything but PPV and CFE was to slow in my gun. For example, XBR produced significant pressure signs at 27.5 gr and I was only getting 2385 fps from it. I do want to try Accurate 2520 eventually, but just haven't yet.

Comment

• koden
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

Is the temp sensitivity really that much worse than CFE223? Thats a pretty temp sensitive powder and is pretty popular for 123-130g bullets in the grendel. I dont care much for it but not because of its temp sensitivity. My feeling is PPV is about the same.

I picked up a magnetospeed and am trying to get out to the range soon to start testing again. Just need to rig a way to mount it to my handgaurd. I will not be strapping it to the barrel. But thats for another thread......

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by koden View Post
        Is the temp sensitivity really that much worse than CFE223? Thats a pretty temp sensitive powder and is pretty popular for 123-130g bullets in the grendel. I dont care much for it but not because of its temp sensitivity. My feeling is PPV is about the same.

I picked up a magnetospeed and am trying to get out to the range soon to start testing again. Just need to rig a way to mount it to my handgaurd. I will not be strapping it to the barrel. But thats for another thread......
        20170716_133219.jpg

Too bad, My whole kit is up for sale including the picitinny rail adapter.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• muvef
          Warrior
          • Mar 2017

As a follow-up to the thread. I'm consistently getting about 30 fps more with 120 gr ELD's. My 29.4 gr load w/ any other bullet in the 120-123 gr class is averaging around 2455 fps. The 120 gr ELD'S are averaging 2485 fps. Anyone else seeing these type of results w/ other powders.

Comment

• NDMarksman
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2019

Love the PPV for my CMMG MKW-15 chambered 6.5 Grendel.

22" Barrel w/1:8 Twist
            130 Grain Berger OTM's
            26.4 grains PPV
            C.O.A.L. = 2.244"

This load will deliver .5 MOA when I do my part.
            CMMG MKW-15 in 6.5 Grendel - (RR).jpg

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

This thread died too soon, any new information to share?

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

Hi Happy!
                I think it died due to PPV's temperature sensitivity among others. There are simply better powders out there but....in the age of Covid, uprisings and shortages, many are using what they have because one cant find what they want. It doesn't hurt to see if the hoard has any members that have played with PPV. It didn't shoot anything to write home about in my AR and only shot under MOA when I had it too hot for my liking in my Ruger American Predator. I tried 120's to 130's with PPV and the best I had was very good half inch to three-quarter MOA using *28.6 of PPV under a Berger 130 OTM Hybrid. Just under 2370fps @ 65F. Flat primers and stiff bolt! (*compressed and used in a bolt rifle)!!! NOT FOR AN AR RIFLE!
                I would be scared to death to shoot this load in the heat of summer and I would undoubtedly lose some velocity/accuracy using it in winter. PPV isn't too far from 1 fps per degree of temp F so it's not temp stable for those of us who see 95 degrees in the summer and 10 degrees in winter. CFE223 is actually worse than PPV in temp stability but many use it for the Grendel so it's just a matter of what gives you the accuracy you crave, what you have to use and what you plan to use it for.

Comment

• jrf
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2020

As stated in times of not being able to get certain powders you use and try what you have.

This PPV load matched my TAC load:

16" Ruger Barrel (RAR)

115 Barnes TAC-TX
                  Lapua Brass
                  29.5 Power Pro Varmint
                  2.185 COAL
                  2299 fps AVG
                  SD 7
                  ES 15

The velocity average is the same as 28 grains of TAC. The TAC does have better ES/SD #s and is more temp stable. However...I have a LOT of PPV.

Comment

• mel
                    Chieftain
                    • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                    Hi Happy!
                    I think it died due to PPV's temperature sensitivity among others. There are simply better powders out there but....in the age of Covid, uprisings and shortages, many are using what they have because one cant find what they want. It doesn't hurt to see if the hoard has any members that have played with PPV. It didn't shoot anything to write home about in my AR and only shot under MOA when I had it too hot for my liking in my Ruger American Predator. I tried 120's to 130's with PPV and the best I had was very good half inch to three-quarter MOA using *28.6 of PPV under a Berger 130 OTM Hybrid. Just under 2370fps @ 65F. Flat primers and stiff bolt! (*compressed and used in a bolt rifle)!!! NOT FOR AN AR RIFLE!
                    I would be scared to death to shoot this load in the heat of summer and I would undoubtedly lose some velocity/accuracy using it in winter. PPV isn't too far from 1 fps per degree of temp F so it's not temp stable for those of us who see 95 degrees in the summer and 10 degrees in winter. CFE223 is actually worse than PPV in temp stability but many use it for the Grendel so it's just a matter of what gives you the accuracy you crave, what you have to use and what you plan to use it for.
                    i run 28.6g under 135g a-tips in my AR and it doesnt flatten primers std small rifle primers or hurt anything, shows just ho much every gun and barrel is different

heres my look on the temp sensitivity , for anyone hunting inside 300y the lil bit of velocity change u get threwout the year in most places isnt enough to miss ur shot on a hunt, for my purposes when im target shooting im checking velocitys the day/time im doing my lr shooting anyways so it doesnt matter if it picks up 30 fps or looses 30 fps

Comment

• Bks22345
                      Unwashed
                      • May 2021

Comment

• Lemonaid
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2019

Bks22345 I really like the 120 Match burners, they are exceptionally accurate in my bolt action Ruger RAP.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• koden
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bks22345 View Post
                          Also, anyone try the Match Burners? The 140s have been great in my Creedmoor and readily available in the 120 grain.
                          I like the 120 BMB behind 30.6g of CFE 223. I have a small amount of PPV left that I will try out with the BMB 120s but so far I have not liked that powder for the Grendel.

Comment

• Bks22345
                            Unwashed
                            • May 2021

Koden is that in an AR?

Comment

• koden
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2014

Yes, it's an 18 inch with a 264lbc chamber.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                                Chieftain
                                • May 2016

bks, I've had some 120 Match Burners loaded up with AR Comp for a few weeks. I'm down a scope and waiting for some warranty resolution, so I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I found the Base to Ogive measurements in the lot I have to be surprisingly inconsistent. I also had trouble getting a good cartridge base to ogive measurement with my Hornady comparator, but I always have trouble with the comparator in Grendel. I ended up seating at 2.22 in my tight JP chamber to play it safe. I never saw the load data with a 2.20" COAL but I may seat down to play it safe - I'm guessing it's a forgiving bullet.
                                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                                X