• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captmorgan47
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

123gr hornady load ?????

am new to the 6.5...I am loading hornady 123gr eld match bullets,,,using 28gr varget....??? is when I seat the bullets it sounds as if the powder is being crushed....is this right??
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• Effenpig
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2017

Not trying to be a jerk but the lack of responses is probably due to the fact that this is a very basic part of reloading that is covered in most every manual

It's a compressed load, it's perfectly normal

I'm not sure what manual you're using but most of them have a small "c" or asterisk to denote a compressed load

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Fpni

Also, search is your friend...

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.
        Last edited by NugginFutz; 12-22-2017, 01:36 PM. Reason: added search
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• captmorgan47
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2017

thanks for the info.....ive been loading since the 70's...never ran into a load that was compressed before...very new to the 6.5..hornady like you said was 28.8 that is why I went with 28gr. the hornady manual does not say amything about compressed loads...just that is a max lpad use with caution....none of the other 4 manuals I have anything about the 6.5.....have ordered 2 new manuals.....
          Last edited by captmorgan47; 12-22-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
            Warrior
            • Oct 2014

captmorgan47-
            what other rifle powders do you have? maybe we can help steer you to a more appropriate grendel powder.
            -mike

Comment

• Lone Hunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

You might want to look at AR comp,benchmark, IMR 8208 XBR, CFE 223,TAC, not necessarily in that order. I have had good luck with 8208.

Comment

• captmorgan47
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2017

I talked to my friend at the shop and he said I should try imr8208 so I got some of that.....also he said I should use small rifle mag primers.....loads ive seen are in the 26-28 grs....think ill try 28 and see where that leads.....thanks for the help ....this cal. is something new....always was a 308 and ar 15 shooter....usually shot win 748 and varget in those cals... that is why I used what I did
                Last edited by captmorgan47; 12-24-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Drillboss
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2015

You might want to start a bit lower and work up. Hodgdon shows 28.5 as max load under a Sierra 123 gr. Sierra's new data shows 27.5 as max for that bullet.

It's been said that 8208 will spike pressures quickly with 123 gr bullets.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

I'm using cci 450's for primer, there are other choices of course but the cci seems to be the main one on here.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X