X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadDog
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2018

Nosler will be a subcontractor to make SMKs on occasion.
    Switched to Nosler several years back for my 308 bolt gun used in F Class. Been at least as good for me as any SMK.
    NRA Life, Long range rifle enthusiast, reloader.
    Hunt, fish, and just sitting out in the woods.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

I've had Nosler blems across the board. A bucket full of 77 gr NCCs where the tips are definitely shorter and more open. No effect on 100 yd groups or banging steel to 550, but they definitely lose accuracy over 1st runs when they begin to transition. Just picked up 1k of the 70 gr 6mm NBTVs with the Memorial Day sale and I can't tell why their blems. Maybe the purple tip is the wrong hue! Shot a couple of 1/2 MOAish groups with them out of my 6x45 yesterday and they held their accuracy to 450. The "worst" blems I've seen were 1k of 110 gr 308 Varmageddons where the tips were discolored and the transition between the tip and the jacket could be smoother. I shoot those out of a 300 BLK with a 1x red dot and the water jugs don't seem to notice.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• MadDog
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2018

Yes, blems can ending up being wonderful or woeful. I have been lucky more times than not with them; so far.

Should have made it more clear my post was primarily about my experience with NCC vs SMK.
        NRA Life, Long range rifle enthusiast, reloader.
        Hunt, fish, and just sitting out in the woods.

Comment

• Crusty
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

It's Gettin' There

Today's best group: 5 rounds, 100y, 1 MOA bull, and a bit gusty at the range.
          130 RDF 6-28.jpg

MV 2332 SD 8 ES 22

Hornady brass
          Necks turned to .010" wall thickness
          Annealed before each reload
          Bump sized .005"
          Trimmed to 1.510" length
          Necks sized to .258" ID in bushing die, then expanded to .261" ID with expander die
          CCI #450 primers, seated .005" below base
          Charged with 26.7gr AR-Comp
          Bullets hBN coated
          Bullets seated at ogive .133-.135" off lands (a micrometer seating stem is essential for this level of accuracy)
          Maximum crimp with Lee Factory Crimp die

Most of my groups hovered around 1 MOA (smaller group sizes with a flier turning them into 1 MOA groups) so I've ordered a concentricity tool to set my bullets exactly on center and I expect fliers to be reduced as a result. My plan right now is to set the concentricity after seating and then perform the factory crimp last since the way that the die works should keep the bullets on center with turned necks.

These bullets are really long so extra care has to be taken at every step to insure that each bullet starts from the same point in space, on center and with the same pressure and bullet grip, and all rounds are as close to identical as I can get them. It's a lot of work but it can be done.
          Last edited by Crusty; 06-28-2018, 11:08 PM.
          I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

All that work to get a MOA group....I might really swear off these. My 3 round 130 ELD groups were acceptable and a lot less work involved. Now if I can just find some more.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Crusty
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

I'll wave at you on the 750 range on my way to the 1000 range.
              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• AustinTom
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                All that work to get a MOA group....I might really swear off these. My 3 round 130 ELD groups were acceptable and a lot less work involved. Now if I can just find some more.
                I'm doing nothing special and getting 5 round moa groups consistently. Just using a regular hornady die set. The bullets can do it, but are really picky with regards to powder and primers.

Just ordered another 500 of these, I've got 1200 down range already. And according to GeoBallistics they're staying supersonic to 1200 or so at my elevation.

Keep at it sticks, the work is hard but the results are really good.

Austin

Comment

• Longtubeman
                  Unwashed
                  • Jul 2017

Hi, anyone try norma 130 dimond, a coated bullet. they are a bonded bullet with a bc of 584. hunted with them last year, and worked great.

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by AustinTom View Post
                    130 RDF
                    AR Comp powder
                    Cci BR4 primers
                    Hornady Brass
                    2.265" OAL
                    .130" jump to lands.
                    Originally posted by AustinTom View Post
                    I've pretty much settled on 26.9 gr AR Comp, BR4 primers, and 2.285 COAL.
                    I've been impatiently waiting to get back to these bullets. It’s taken me months to get a hold of one pound of AR-Comp without having to pay a shipping HazMat fee. The day came last Tuesday. I followed AustinTom's lead and loaded up 10 rounds at each charge weight; 26.0, 26.3, 26.6, 26.9 and 27.2. I used BR4 primers and loaded to 2.285”. I fired two, five shot groups of each charge. I didn't chrono anything. I've decided I need to find something that will shoot before I worry about how fast it's going. Here are the results.

22” Black Hole Weaponry .264LBC, .136 bolt. 100 yards from the bench. Bipod and rear bag. 64 degrees.

26.0 grs; .9” then 1.6”. Two group average of 1.25”
                    26.3 grs; 2.0” then 1.1”. Two group average of 1.55”
                    26.6 grs; 1.45” then 2.25”. Two group average of 1.85”
                    26.9 grs; 2.15” then 2.25”. Two group average of 2.2”
                    27.2 grs; 1.4” then 1.2”. Two group average of 1.3”

Disappointed, I went right to the loading bench and duplicated the load using the 130 gr Hornady ELD-M. Same powder, primer and charge weights but I loaded this to a COAL of 2.275. Went to the range today, here are the results.

26.0 grs; .8” then .65”. Two group average of .725”
                    26.3 grs; .85” then 1.1”. Two group average of .975”
                    26.6 grs; 1.05” then 1.05”. Two group average of 1.05”
                    26.9 grs; .6” then .85”. Two group average of .725”
                    27.2 grs; .8” then 1.0”. Two group average of .9”

I suspect I'm done with the RDFs, at least in the Grendel. The BC is delicious but I don't have the knowledge/patient to deal with them. Perhaps I can use them if and when I start loading the Creedmoor.

A big thank you to AustinTom for the tip on this load. The AR-Comp/BR4 groups are better than anything I’ve achieved with the 130 ELD-M using CFE223 or LVR. I'm planning on repeating this with the Berger 130 OTMs to see what happens.
                    Last edited by biodsl; 10-08-2018, 12:59 AM.
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Yup. My remaining RDFs are going to sit on the shelf thinking about what they have done. Maybe (roo roo) Becky [6.5 PRC] will like them.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Doon
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2015

Yup. My remaining RDFs are going to sit on the shelf thinking about what they have done. Maybe (roo roo) Becky [6.5 PRC] will like them.
                        So you going to run with the Prc build ?
                        You Will love it!

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Doon View Post
                          So you going to run with the Prc build ?
                          You Will love it!
                          Ran.

Becky is home now. Curtis Custom Axiom action, West Texas Ordinance Switch Lug (field change barrel swap), MPA 26" SS heavy contour...HEAVY... barrel with MPA Brake (less recoil right now than any of my Grendels), MPA Competition chassis, Trigger Tech trigger set at 22oz. She's a big girl, weighing in at 17# with Vortex Razor HD.

147gr ELD Factory Match ammo (.351 G7), 2940fps average puts me at 6.9 mils for 1k yards and 1.4 mils for a 10mph cross wind. 40 rounds down range in break in and 1 group (final zero then longer range checking) gave me a .339 MOA until I winged one out to a .661 MOA 5 shot group

I need to buy a bolt for 224 Valk, and have my local smith bore it out for 6.5 Grendel, then find a barrel. Thinking Proof CF, custom reamer for a longer case neck and lands optimized for the 130 ELD at a COAL of 2.40 +/-. Uses AICS short action mags, and there are several threads on that mod for the Boyds stock and mag modifications using a .308 mag. I already tested feeding and it should not be a problem.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Doon
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2015

Ran.

Becky is home now. Curtis Custom Axiom action, West Texas Ordinance Switch Lug (field change barrel swap), MPA 26" SS heavy contour...HEAVY... barrel with MPA Brake (less recoil right now than any of my Grendels), MPA Competition chassis, Trigger Tech trigger set at 22oz. She's a big girl, weighing in at 17# with Vortex Razor HD.

147gr ELD Factory Match ammo (.351 G7), 2940fps average puts me at 6.9 mils for 1k yards and 1.4 mils for a 10mph cross wind. 40 rounds down range in break in and 1 group (final zero then longer range checking) gave me a .339 MOA until I winged one out to a .661 MOA 5 shot group

I need to buy a bolt for 224 Valk, and have my local smith bore it out for 6.5 Grendel, then find a barrel. Thinking Proof CF, custom reamer for a longer case neck and lands optimized for the 130 ELD at a COAL of 2.40 +/-. Uses AICS short action mags, and there are several threads on that mod for the Boyds stock and mag modifications using a .308 mag. I already tested feeding and it should not be a problem.
                            Way to go dude, mine shoots bug holes with only 20 round count.
                            I modified a 308 accurate mag by removing the front plate and tweaking the feed lips, wsm mags work out the box as well.
                            You will get better velocity with reloads im sure, I have a mild load of ar 2213sc pushing 123gn sst @3100fps 24 " for barrel break in before I launch the 143 eld-x with H 1000.
                            Enjoy

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

I am a .4 MOA shooter. .6 after 2 months of not shooting at all is acceptable. Lot of skill left to learn.

I'm starting out with RL 26 to see what I can come up with. Looking to keep the speed in the 2900s (have a speed limit of 3k at the one match that I shoot).

Sad when you call 3100 "Mild". The velocity that one could launch those 123 ELDs at is kind of spooky, let alone a 108. It would be a wicked varmint round if one was not concerned with barrel life.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• ricsmall
                                Warrior
                                • Sep 2014

Keep us posted on the PRC sticks. Been thinking about ordering a reamer and cutting a barrel for one. As far as the bolt you mentioned, why get a Valkyrie bolt and bore out? Is it for the axiom switch barrel setup? Just curious
                                Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

Working...
                                X