X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

The folded shoulders have to be due to force applied to bullets sticking in the necks.

Turning the necks also reamed the IDs, which removed the carbon coating that normally is there and lubricates the bullet as it goes in. Due to a flaky micrometer I've turned the necks twice so the carbon hasn't had a chance to build up again and I'm really hoping that seating will get easier when it has.

Also, the amount of force required to compress the charge makes it difficult to feel when the case has raised against the seating die and I've ruined several that way too.
    I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• centerfire
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

I doubt it, I can force a 284 bullet into the case without folding the shoulder. It's more likely your die body is screwed in too far.
      Last edited by centerfire; 04-12-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

I just checked my seating die and it was set up too deep. D'OH!

I just tried seating a bullet in an empty case after resetting my die and it went in easy-peasy. Another piece of the puzzle just fell into place. Thanks CF.

I remember setting the die explicitly following Hornady's instructions with a max length case and the locking collar was tight when I looked at it just now so I must have changed it during my experiments and then forgot to put it back.
        I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• rpaape342
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2018

First time forum poster! this bullet actually brought me here to the 65 forums, thanks nosler. I've shot my grendel for over a year now, and have reloaded for it for 4 months. I shot an OCW a week or two back with the 130gr rdf, Hornady brass (3x), CCI. 400, and CFE223 - I was very enthused with the results. This was my first time with cfe223 and this weight class of bullets so I started at 29.5gr and ended at 31.0 shooting 3 shot groups with .3/.2 increments across 3 different seating depths. I used 1.676 B-ogive (about .01 off), 1.666 and a mag-friendly 2.29 coal. The 1.666 base to ogive depth gave me the best performance on paper, 30.1gr shot .5 moa and 30.4 shot around .9, these seperate groups had little vertical deflection between the two so I am reshooting 30.1-30.5gr in .1 inc this weekend. NO Chrono, but I used an average velocity of 2470 and the listed G7 to put 15 130gr rdfs on target at 700 yards and these bullets were flying so well!! We were shooting at an older tv and I watched the first 5 bullets land in a good looking group on the glass before it all shattered. Shooting out of my 18" odin works build.

Here's a question. Is the CCI. 400 a weak primer? I popped a couple of them on loads that should've been safe like 30.5gr of cfe223 under the 130, but also 27.6gr of 8208 xbr under 123gr nos. cc as well. First time using the 400 and is also my first time popping a primer (on previous safe loads). Should I switch over to the cci. 450 when I can?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Nothing official, of course, but I'd say CCI450 is sort of a de facto standard for the 65G.
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum rpaape342!

The primer cups are thicker on the CCI 450 primers than CCI 400, Remington and Winchester standard small rifle primers. It is recommended to use CCI 41, Federal AR primers, Magnum Primers from Remington or CCI or some bench rest primers like BR4. Using the thinner primer cups like the 400 are more prone to pierce by the AR-15 floating firing pin. The standard small rifle primers are more likely to have a slam fire with AR-15 floating firing pin when chambering a round.

From the information I've seen the cups are the same thickness on large rifle primers whether magnum or standard.
              Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-13-2018, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

If your getting good accuracy with the 400s (and it sounds like your doing better than most), I would try BR4s - they're going to have similar brisance ("hotness") to the 400s. Going to 41s or 450s is going to introduce a pretty big change in ignition. I never thought primers would have that big of an influence on accuracy, but when I was doing load development in my 6.5 CM, I wasn't getting what I thought I should be getting with H4350 and Federal LR Match primers (which are as "hot" as a non Magnum primer can get). I switched to BR2s which are slightly cooler and the stars came into alignment.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• centerfire
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

205M ftw!

Comment

• centerfire
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Crusty View Post
                    I just checked my seating die and it was set up too deep. D'OH!

I just tried seating a bullet in an empty case after resetting my die and it went in easy-peasy. Another piece of the puzzle just fell into place. Thanks CF.

I remember setting the die explicitly following Hornady's instructions with a max length case and the locking collar was tight when I looked at it just now so I must have changed it during my experiments and then forgot to put it back.
                    I'm glad it was such and easy fix.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

What mags are you guys using to get a coal of 2.29 in an AR?
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                        I have a couple of ASC 10 rounders. They claim an interior dimension of 2.316, +/-.002. Folks on this board have complained about poor functioning with the 15-round mags but I've had no issue with my 10 round.

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                          ASCs allow the longest COAL in pretty much any AR caliber. I haven't had to go that long in grendel, but comfortably load 6x45 at 2.31 in their 5.56ers. I just need to be sure to pull every round back with my fingernail when I load them.

This is a valuable resource for all calibers: http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/...ineLengths.pdf
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• AustinTom
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2018

ASC. The actual inside dimension of mine varies from 2.297 to 2.305
                            CProducts mags also allow a pretty long length

Comment

• Crusty
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

My C-Products 10 round lets me fit up to nearly 2.3" and it's the best functioning of all of my mags. I studied the lips gap of it and made my other mags like it with a file and they all function well now and don't gouge my brass any more. I also smoothed the sides of the follower with sandpaper but I can't say if it made any difference.
                              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Sticks
                                Chieftain
                                • Dec 2016

Well hell. I just took it for granted that AR15 mag length is 2.26+/- so I just always loaded there. I need to go measure my mags and seat my 2230 loads longer.

Hope for the 130s in my AR now as well. Lands are at 1.688 and I have been loading my Howa rounds at 2.32 (mag length measured) = 1.6655 to the ogive.
                                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                                X