Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DirectDrive

Originally posted by JohnOD View Post
    Yesterday the girlfriend and I spent the day hooking large rainbow trout on flyrods... and she was in a bikini so I don't have much to complain about
    Sounds like the big "D"......
    The lower 24 is my favorite place to be Aug/Sept/Oct looking to tangle with Mr. Big

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
      JA I've reached 2850 with a 95 grn. barnes bumped ahead .070 ., and 2786 from a stock barnes 100ttsx at mag length using x-term. Decent accuracy too. The gmx is way more accurate in my gun. Iv;e shot 90 grn.ers close to 2900. Also shot 95 grn. gmx's to 200y, with a nickle size group.
      That's durned fine shooting!

There are loads getting up to 2770 (20" barrel) and 2836 (24" barrel) listed at http://ammoguide.com/?catid=456.

I try to be a little on the conservative side when advocating things so that folks won't be disappointed when they either meet or exceed the claims! Been participating in the Military and Law Enforcement set of threads. Your experience helps flesh out what is possible!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by DirectDrive View Post
        Sounds like the big "D"......
        The lower 24 is my favorite place to be Aug/Sept/Oct looking to tangle with Mr. Big
        Close Dave... Crane Prairie. I love the Deschutes but I'm a stillwater guy . Here's some pics for yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOD View Post
          S1 the east side of Oregon is nice as far as climate, hunting, fishing etc. I can shoot on public land 15 minutes from my house west, south & east. Lots of trout fishing along with some steelhead & bass. Unfortunately the population centers on the west side of the state has more than its share of liberals that think they know whats best for all of us. I live in a resort town (been here since 78) that's hurting very badly from an economic stand point. Yesterday the girlfriend and I spent the day hooking large rainbow trout on flyrods... and she was in a bikini so I don't have much to complain about
          pictures would be good, of the fish of course lol

there are pictures, nice fish
          Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM. Reason: seen the later post

Comment

I believe that was a genuine 6.5mm carbon fiber Grendel rod. Good shootin...must be a doe trout.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Wow JA what a fish! I'm movin .

Comment

That is an incredible fish. It's at least as big as any 3 rainbows I've caught and beautiful coloration to boot.

Comment

Myth?
                  I'd like to get back on the track of finding the best hunting round. I read a brief writing 'unconfirmed', where Nosler had changed/corrected the NBT's explosive tendancies. The lead in the newer version is supposed to have stronger lead that holds together. If that is true, then it would explain why there are so many hunters with different experiances. Since the bullet has such a good accuracy component and very good BC, it would be great if this news can be confirmed. If anyone has a personal contact inside Nosler or direct knowlwdge of this 'change', give us some imput on this. I don't mind calling Nosler but someone with an inside track, I'm sure, would get more details.

Comment

Emailed Nosler the Question - and requested a 120-123gr Accubond. (based on Sneaky one's design of course)

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

I'm also interested in finding out the scoop on the 120BT's... I was planning on using them this fall, but with the random reports of them blowing up has me a bit nervous. Since I am thinking of taking my grendel for elk as well, I am considering the 129 Intrabond as a general purpose hunting bullet.

As a side note, I was reading my Hornady manuel and under the 30-30 data, it said that the heating process used to bond the jacket to the core partially anneals the jacket, making it open at a lower velocity than non-bonded designs. If this is the case that would make a bonded bullet the ticket for the Grendel..

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

Since the computer won't let me modify my previous post, I found that info in the 6.8 SPC page, not the 30-30 page. It occured to me that they wouldn't reccomend a pointed bullet in a 30-30, silly me...

Comment

Mabye that is why alot of the well respected guys on the forum are hot on the AMAX as a great hunting round. It doesn't appear to 'blow-up' like the NBT from the reports I've read.
                          I did get an answer back from Nosler in response to my inquiry on the NBT - "The 120gr NBT has been working fine as a deer bullet for many years, if pushed in excess of 3000fps and bone is hit, the resulting shattering of bone will appear as a blow up. The bullet is designed to retain 50% of its weight."
                          I guess that they aren't reading (or ignoring) all of the negative press they are getting on the various blogs reguarding the bullet as a hunting round.
                          So the answer to my question to them 'was there was a change to the lead core' is no. Shoots great, may or not explode on impact.

Lets hope the AMAX information you heard is true.

Comment

I second that 'oops' you were refering to the 129 Interbond, not the AMAX's bonding process. So why is the AMAX such a good hunting round?

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

I don't think that the AMAX is a bonded bullet, they don't advertise it as such. In fact, it looks much more like a Vmax than anything else. I'm interested why it works so well also.

Comment

I guess part of the AMAX question is answered by Willd in his posting on Hunting/Varmenting see the first video on the AMAX...different caliber but good info

By WillD (today)
                                Ballistic Insight on Hogs

I'm with hm2 clark in not considering large hogs varmints. I also believe the most important part of shooting is bullet placement.
                                These videos may be of interest to this topic.

Cheers, Will

Last edited by WillD; Today at 06:17 PM.
                                Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2011, 11:30 PM. Reason: giving credit

Comment

Working...
                                X