X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Yea... I remember the first time I smacked one with a hammer as a kid. My ears rang for hours.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
      Yea... I remember the first time I smacked one with a hammer as a kid. My ears rang for hours.
      LOL!! My first experience was a shotshell primer smacked with a hammer by a friend!

BUT....these guys have it all over what we did:

Last edited by bwaites; 12-01-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• acelungger

Primers don't get enough attenion! This last winter I got so bored that if I had any hair I would of pulled it out!! So I get my A1 out that has a M203 launcher under and took some empty cases and re primed them and lightly tapped ping pong balls in them just far enought that they had a good seal so I opened up the french door that is in the back part of the house and shot ping pong ball's at the sparrows!!!! They are humping pretty good out to 40 feet!! I hit one of them and it knocked it out of the tree and it hit the ground but didn't take long for it to gather up enough smarts to get out of here, that sparrow didn't come back that afternoon!!!!!!!!
        Greg

Comment

OK, either my dad was way more protective of components when I was groing up, or you guys were much more, uh, industrious than I was.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            LOL!! My first experience was a shotshell primer smacked with a hammer by a friend!

BUT....these guys have it all over what we did:

http://youtu.be/vtKqESDqFqo

LMAO!!!

I would also take shotgun primers and stick them in the end of my bb gun. When it went off it sounded like I had a .22. I thought I was cool...

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TxAggie94 View Post
              OK, either my dad was way more protective of components when I was groing up, or you guys were much more, uh, industrious than I was.
              Dad just thought he had a good hiding place. hehe

Comment

Thank you guys for all the answers, even you "sneaky one". Good to see you are still on your medication.. I used the WD40 idea and the safety suggestions and the Lapua brass lived to see another day. I just loaded my first 100 rounds of .223 and should start on my 6.5 this weekend. One day I hope to read enough on this forum to absorb just a little of what most of you guys have already forgotten, oops except for "Sneaky One" , I forgot he is perfect. I appreciate the fact that you guys share your wealth of knowledge and experience and don't make me feel ignorant for asking a question. " Sneaky One" keep on your meds and seeing that doctor for your cranialrectilitis. I hear it is curable.
                Thank again guys,
                Respectfully,
                Trapper

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                  I would also take shotgun primers and stick them in the end of my bb gun.
                  My crowning achievement as a HS kid with shotgun primers was to take .38 hollow based wad cutters, drill the cavity deeper to accept a couple of grains of unique and a shotgun primer super glued in. Then a .38 light load.

I tested primer only in the bullet at first with very light loads, then worked up. It would detonate reliably if shot into water, wood, or sand. Cans would not set it off.

All I can figure is that I had a guardian angel looking after me! I thought I was being careful, and did try to think things through. But illegal, and ill-advised!

Comment

• pinzgauer
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TxAggie94 View Post

Rode my bike to the local shop in the 70's. Bought whatever reloading components I wanted. I still have some powder cans from then. $4/can!!!! Heck, I probably had more reloading experience at that point than some of the adults working there. I had some good teachers, started with 30 carbine, then .270 using 30/06 surplus cases. Even was necksizing only using the washer under the die trick. Who did not know of or endorse by shotgun primer experiments, though.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Alrightey there Trapper- I Dubbed primed a case once- my pal from fed. was there as a witness-- it does happen,- he said,-- he said it was a factory flaw,-it wasn't my fault- double anvil? Sorry, never oops one upside down-yet= I am careful== not perfect., Sorry about the previous remark=let it go. No meds. here . Too young for those-yet...

Comment

With four older brothers, there was always .22 ammo around the house. At age 5, placed a .22 round on a brick and hit with a hammer. The report was a LOT louder than if fired through a rifle. I don't know where the pieces went but thankfully not into me. I don't remember much from age 5, but I remember that as if it were yesterday and that was about 72 years ago.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Great story, G-Ed. I think my Dad said he tried that too, when he was 7-8..,, he's 75 now-- different mindset back then= try anything. Now days we are way overloaded with data-of all kinds . I was the brother that turned my .22's bullet tips down--in those cheap plastic pencil sharpners we all had to have in our school desk., yes I had a spare---to do that in the garage... Did you have those -cheap- mini lathes at your school desk back then? My Dad had me shooting blades of grass , @ 50-70 ft.,with my tweaked bullets-they shot better than factory ammo. Yes, at age 10- I placed a .22 lr.- into a rockpile and shot the base==BOOOOOMMMM !!!!!!!!!!!! Damn kids! hee-hee!

Comment

Working...
                          X