Nosler 120 grain ballistic tip ?

• jpistolero02
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

There was a thread on it just the other day. 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is one of the early-on go-to hunting bullets for both accuracy and terminal performance loaded by AA and JD Jones at SSK.

On the earlier days of the forum, 120gr NBT was a very popular hunting bullet and showed a lot of accurate groupings for a lot of people.

The 123gr SST really displaced it because you can get SSTs for half the price, and they have a mechanical lock, as well as the cannelure to help prevent jacket and core separation.

At high speed/close range, the NBT has been sometimes attributed to coming apart and destroying a little more meat, but this is true of pretty much any hunting cup and core bullet that isn't a premium bonded or solid projectile.

There is a lot of data for it in both Grendel Handbooks, as well as some data on Nosler's site, and Hodgdon's site.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bearcatrp
        Warrior
        • Apr 2018

Was kind of bummed sulzar didn’t find anything wrong but then again, he did take it apart, reassembled and shoot it. My groups at 50 yards were terrible. He used a sled bed and 50 yard target and got nice groups with 123 A-Max. Can’t get those any more. Got the upper back this morning but won’t hit the range for at least a month due to my back surgery. Wanted to order the Hornady black 123 grain but no one has them in stock. Was lucky to find the nosler but sucks I had to pay that much. LRRPF52, are you planning to zero your sweet 12 inch at 100 yards? Read your other post stretching it out, which is impressive. Just curious how it groups at 100 yards.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Yes, I'm planning to check where it's actually at on a local range since I can't make any ballistics program match up with what I was getting for a 100yd zero.

I field-zero'd on a closer steel target in the canyon, which appeared to be about 100yds, but may have been farther.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CaptnC
            Warrior
            • May 2018

What kind of FPS were you getting?

What barrel length?

Thanks!

Comment

• Mad Charlie
              Warrior
              • May 2017

What CaptnC said.

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                Warrior
                • Apr 2018

Spent the money at AA for 2 boxes of the 120 gr nosler ammo. Once doc clears me to go shoot, will be hoping these shoot great. Will do some reloads too hoping they match the commercial stuff.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2018

My G shoots it best so far. I have had to stop shooting waiting on the DIP trigger guard as mine is cracked.

But three or four powders and 3/4 loads each found the NBT most accurate with two powders.

Bigger problem is finding them! Haha I found a small shop in SC that has some and bought 200.

I usually get good accuracy from the SST and my rifle shoots them OK but I haven't found the sweet spot yet.

On another note I have taken three animals with the 120 NBT, first was a Aoudad goat at about 250 yards and other two where whitetails. Muzzle vel was 3100+ out of my 6.5x06. That goat has a thick hide and can be tough to drop. Mine dropped on the spot and altho it did not exit, it broke the shoulder and pulped the lungs. IIRC the deer where thru and thru but I don't remember exact particulars.

CW

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                    Warrior
                    • May 2017

So, which two powders?

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2018

I will be shooting these out of a 12 inch faxon Match barrel with 8208. Was the second best powder nosler recommended. What 2 powders?

Comment

• PA_Probe
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2018

Nosler has Grendel load data on their website
                        Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2014

Bearcatrp- i always used BLC2 with that bullet to great success.
                          -mike

Comment

• cwlongshot
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2018

I have two test loads on the bench now with BENCHMARK powder. Gonna try some H322 next.

CW

Comment

Working...
                            X