• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Powered Quick Trickle

After several failed attempts (as Edison said "discovered devices that don't work") I finally have added a powered drive to my Hornady Quick Trickler, which is a fine piece of equipment all on its own. I can throw a charge faster than twiddling the knobs by hand and I actually have finer control on the low range than I can do manually. Now that the hardest part's done I can add optical sensors to my beam balance and interface it all to an Arduino microcontroller and make myself a precision load dispenser which doesn't drift and checking each load will be as simple as looking at the needle on my balance. And I've never in my life seen gravity drift or fail.

At my workbench getting familiar with its operation. The motor and drive mechanism is at the rear, hidden from this viewpoint.

Sorry for the video quality, best I can do right now. Watch the tape marks on the dispenser tube for the activity.
    Last edited by Crusty; 06-08-2018, 12:34 AM.
    I'll be yer Huckleberry.
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Nice when you can implement other skills into a project like reloading.

Building DIY computer controlled things is above my pay grade. I'm stuck with hand trickling .1 or less grains on a $35 digital.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Very inventive! I did the constants-adjust and jagged-straw tip mods for my Chargemaster and like its handling now very much. Still get maybe about 1/20 loads 0.1 over but Varget and other stick powders are now eminently loadable, whereas in the past I avoided them b/c so many over-charges...
      308 et al are back in the shooting rotation!
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Crusty
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

Last edited by Crusty; 06-09-2018, 01:19 PM.
        I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Can't speak to Hornady, my RCBS when I cal check with precision check wts is right on... and when I find a node the SD's are 6, 7, even some loads down to 2, so consistency is good, definitely within my shooting level -- 'course I'm not a competitive shooter with OCD's in reloads, but I'm pretty happy with my loading.
          Every weighing system will have some inherent inaccuracies, sounds like yours is working well for you though.
          So more power to you!
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Bearcatrp
            Warrior
            • Apr 2018

I purchased a used Hornady auto charge a while back. Knew it wasn’t accurate but use it to get me close when doing a large batch. Been using the omega trickled for a couple years to get me right on the mark.

Comment

• Crusty
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

I made a better video and learned a bit about editing so here's a new video of the mechanism in which something can actually be seen.

I just got to try it out loading some cases and it works better than I could've hoped. I loaded this week's rounds much quicker and yet more accurately than I ever did by manually feeding the powder. I love it when a plan comes together.
              Last edited by Crusty; 06-14-2018, 11:01 AM.
              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

Working...
              X