Real world 90gr TNT load data in 6.5 Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fat Albert
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

Real world 90gr TNT load data in 6.5 Grendel?

If anyone out there reloads w/ 90TNT could you please post you data? I have QL so I need barrel length, cartridge OAL, powder, powder weight and speed if you have it. I already have the data from Speer, Hodgdon and Alexander Arms for the bullet. Thanks PS: start low and work up
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

31.2 of H335 works for me, for both my 16" AR and 20" Howa HB. 2.180. I shoot for accuracy not speed, so your MMV but you should find something that works for you. It is a good bullet for the Grendel. Using Hornady brass and cci450's.
    I would start with the Federal 90 AE TNT's if you can find them, gives you an idea of what your rifle will do.
    You'll need a chrony to find the best loads.

ps, you should seriously consider getting the Grendel handbooks vol 1 and 2, in the Industry partners, AR15 Build box...
    www.AR15BuildBox.com website.
    Best reloading money you'll spend for the Grrr.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Fat Albert
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2017

gray fox: do you have speeds for both guns with that load? With QL I can adj. for barrel length and OAL with your speeds.

Comment

• Fat Albert
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2017

gray fox: I ran your data given ,so far, and Hod. data in QL. It spit out that your load is about 47723psi and 2697(18") 2765(20")fps. Your speeds would help to make finer adj. Thank

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

You need a chrno to do the load work up but I found that Speer's data for the 120 Gold Dot with IMR 8208 out of one of my rifles was WAY LOW. Their max was 25.4 grs but I went up to 28 grs with no pressure signs to 2550 fps average from 20" barrel with 3/4" groups. I have yet to try it in my 18" barrel. WW748 and H335 shot really well with 100 gr BTs for me so it should work well for the 90 TNT. I am not sure the barrel length used but I have seen that the Federal ammo with the 90 TNT runs 2800 fps.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

16" faxon barrel 2685.
            20" howa HB 2830.
            Note that even in the respective barrel mfrs the MVs will vary, so any MV you might get will differ from these values. These are tested and good for my rifles.
            Speer max listing is 32.0 grs H335. 3009 in their test arrangement.

Comment

• Fat Albert
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2017

Grayfox: sorry for the brain fart w/ 16"-18" thing. I ran your load and speed with Hod. pressure and Speers data. Both of your barrels at 24" (Speers length) would be 3011fps and 51,811psi. You can't get any closer than that.

Comment

• Fat Albert
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2017

Gray Fox: more adj Using my gun 22" 2.270"OAL your data Hod data Speer data same bullet your sweet spot (2830fps) same powder =31.3gr 2830fps 44,481psi = 1/2 gazillion shots before a barrel change Your data makes Speer 90TNT data look real good

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

It shoots very nicely in my barrels...
                  Lucky I guess that both barrels do it well.
                  The 20" I might tweak a little but for now, one load, 2 barrels, what's not to like?

Biggest thing is to find the node for your barrel where it's SD is low, then tweak coal for tightest grouping... regardless what other barrels do, the one in your hands is the one you dance with!
                  Shoot safely.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Here is my first try at hand loads with the 90g TNT with Ramshot X-Terminator powder thru it.
                    CCI 450 SR Mag.
                    2.200" COL
                    It seemed the higher the charger the more the groups opened but, none were too terrible IMO.
                    My velocities didn't quite progress as I would of thought though....

90gr TNT with 28.4 gr X-Term = Velocity- 2550 FPS with SD of 18.9

90gr TNT with 28.7 gr X-Term= Velocity- 2600 FPS with SD of 8.2

90gr TNT with 29.0 gr X-term= 2605 FPS with SD of 9.2

I was using a LabRadar chrony and it was extremely humid, not sure if that played into account of the FPS readings or not.
                    ― George Orwell

Comment

• Fat Albert
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2017

Any one have fps of Fed factory loaded 90TNT out of their gun w/ barrel lenght and cartridge OAL? Thanks

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

md, try that 28.7 grs but at a coal of 2.180, it might just tighten up. But it does seem slow compared to H335 with my pipes...
                        With H335, I get 2690 (16"), and 2831 20"... 31.2 (max book is 31.7).

Al, 16" with 90 factory: 2840.
                        18" with 90 Factory: 2889
                        with both the Coal is whatever Federal is doing.

Comment

• Fat Albert
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2017

Grayfox: put your numbers in QL and (???about???) 20"=2967 22"=3028 24"=3082 26"=3130 126" (put in a 1 by mistake)= 3837"

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

No. I don't use QL, I use real life. I'd suggest you do several load workups and shooting over chrony to get some validations, seems as though you're using too much "theory" and not enough reality.
                            Grendel is a fantastic cartridge with mild pressures and great accuracy when used as designed.
                            Let your barrel talk to you in order to find the loads that work best with it.

Comment

• loclass
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2018

I get 2950 fps with factory loaded Federal 90 gr TNT from a Faxon 20" barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X