• Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
    sticks- Graf's is showing 130gr eld m in stock

-mike
    The day before that post I checked again, and Ammoseek came up with a big goose egg for Hornady anywhere. Now it's everywhere again, and at $.28 per it's a no brainer since the last 123s I got were $.27.

I'm doing a little happy dance in my mind as I prepare to order up 1k.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
      Warrior
      • Oct 2014

Nice! get 'em while they're hot! I still have 123gr & 140gr amaxes stashed away. reloading tends to turn me into a bit of a "hoarder" when I find something that works well.

-have fun with your testing!
      -mike

Comment

• Second
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Comment

• Petri R
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2018

Just put CFE223 behind of 140grs....you will get close to 750m/s, at least I did with my 22" AR-15 rifle with Nosler 140grs RDF bullets (even better BC than ELD-M ?). But CFE is more sensitive to temperature...in cold winter you go down some 50m/s or more compared to summer.

Comment

• Second
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Comment

• Bfglowkee
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

I think the OP is in Europe and his powder options are not as varied as we are in the states. Otherwise Lerverolution and CFE223 would be options. I might have misinterpreted. Either way its interesting to see the Grendel pushed like this, especially in bolt guns ( which I happen to have ). One thing that caught my eye was a mention of RL17....I think that may be way to slow of a powder for this cartridge.

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Second
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bfglowkee View Post
                  I think the OP is in Europe and his powder options are not as varied as we are in the states. Otherwise Lerverolution and CFE223 would be options. I might have misinterpreted. Either way its interesting to see the Grendel pushed like this, especially in bolt guns ( which I happen to have ). One thing that caught my eye was a mention of RL17....I think that may be way to slow of a powder for this cartridge.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Second,

For the 140ELD...

QL is telling me the max load before crossing SAAMI is 28.5/VV550 @ 58mm COAL. That said, it will be 111% full which means it's a heavily compressed load. You might not even be able to cram that much in. Or it could pressure spike. I usually don't go over 104%. I assume you are using a bolt gun? 58mm OAL is based on the max length permissible in an AR magazine but you might be able to load longer and mitigate the compressed load.
                    What is the OAL where it touches lands?
                    What is the internal length of your magazine?

The 140ELD is a long heavy bullet for the Grendel. I don't even use it in the 6.5x47, preferring 130gn bullets.

Have you thought about using N140 which will get you to the SAAMI limit at only 102% full? I think you will be limited with the 550 by the case volume. At 105% using 550 full you will be 100fps lower than if you use N140 at only 102% full (based on a 24" barrel).

Comment

• Second
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                      Second,

For the 140ELD...

QL is telling me the max load before crossing SAAMI is 28.5/VV550 @ 58mm COAL. That said, it will be 111% full which means it's a heavily compressed load. You might not even be able to cram that much in. Or it could pressure spike. I usually don't go over 104%. I assume you are using a bolt gun? 58mm OAL is based on the max length permissible in an AR magazine but you might be able to load longer and mitigate the compressed load.
                      What is the OAL where it touches lands?
                      What is the internal length of your magazine?

The 140ELD is a long heavy bullet for the Grendel. I don't even use it in the 6.5x47, preferring 130gn bullets.

Have you thought about using N140 which will get you to the SAAMI limit at only 102% full? I think you will be limited with the 550 by the case volume. At 105% using 550 full you will be 100fps lower than if you use N140 at only 102% full (based on a 24" barrel).
                      Last edited by Second; 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Second
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Second,

I take it you know about how to fill your case as full as possible by using a drop-tube? Like a drinking straw or even longer. I've also used a vibratory tumbler to settle powder by putting your finger over the mouth and touching the base of the case against the vibrating tumbler. It settles the powder in a couple of seconds so you can fit more in.

That 139gn Scenar will be a different shape of bullet which explains the 0.1gn difference.

Should be a good test and I'll be interested to hear how you go.

Comment

• Second
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2017

Saw your post now regarding to take another barrel in 6,5x47.
                            There is probably several reasons for this, and why I choose a Grendel instead of the 6,5x47 or 6,5 Greedmore for intance.

The only really good explanation is that I started to look for a small 6,5mm caliber. I already have a 6,5x55 so the easy way was another 6,5mm. The 6,5x47 is quite close to the 6,5x55 so when looking for a smaller one, the Grendel is almost as small as you can go with the 6,5mm bullets.
                            I like to explore new thing so the Grendel is a very, very small caliber in Sweden, almost no one have one and I kinda like to be the outsider. So why not. I built one.
                            Yes, there is better calibers for longer ranges and better calibers for extreme precision. But where is the fun in that...

I have a 11" droptobe that I used for the previous reloading for this bullet so if the powder needs to be vibrated also, then maybe I will look into that.

I will for sure keep the thread and forum with the info on the outcome.

Comment

• jbmarshtx
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2017

Is your 700 chambered to SAAMI specs for the grendel or did you have it so you can load the bullets longer?

Comment

• Petri R
                                Unwashed
                                • Jun 2018

My load was 1,94g CFE, 140grs RDF, OAL 57,75mm....740m/s (temp +10c)
                                also no problems 1,96g....748m/s (same temp and other things). But best group was 1,94g, which was about 20mm/5rds/150m

QL prediction for max load was 1,92g

Comment

Working...
                                X