• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tipsymutt
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2016

Any have 14.5" barrel data?

Hey guys,
    Does anyone have velocity data for a 14.5" barrel? Im really interested in factory load data, but would also like to see your handload results. I'm also really interested in data for the lighter weight bullets.

Thanks
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

I owned a mid-length 14.5 from Sabre Defense (wish I still had it) but sold it before I owned a chronograph.

Page one of this pdf on the AA website has 14.5 data for four factory loads. It's pretty old but should give you some idea.

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

One of the Hornady reloading manuals uses 14.5” 6.5 Grendel AA barrel with a pin and welded flash hider so it is listed as a 16” barrel. I’m pretty sure it is Hornady Manual,# 9 released around 2012.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-26-2018, 03:24 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        One of the Hornady reloading manuals uses 14.5” 6.5 Grendel AA barrel with a pin and welded flash hider so it is listed as a 16” barrel. I can’t remember the manual number.
        Along that vein, Hornady used to advertise the 123 Amax load as 2350fps from the "16" inch that was actually the aforementioned 14.5".
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          One of the Hornady reloading manuals uses 14.5” 6.5 Grendel AA barrel with a pin and welded flash hider so it is listed as a 16” barrel. I’m pretty sure it is Hornady Manual,# 9 released around 2012.
          Came here to post this, although it is the earlier 8th Edition with red cover.

The 9th Edition has 18" barrel data from an AA 18" AR15.

The 10th Edition has all the new ELD-M projectiles.

Short story is your velocity and performance between a 14.5" and 16" Grendel are very similar.

With a 123gr cup/core, you're in the 2375-2440fps range from 14.5" usually.

With 16", you're in the 2420-2470 range most of the time.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Thanks for the correction LRRPF52. I was to lazy to go into the basement and look to see what number manual I bought. I bought my first 6.5 Grendel in 2010 IIRC and I bought manual a short time later after it was released.

Comment

Working...
            X