• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhoyda
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

A request (Hornady Black)

Could someone please measure the overall length of the Hornady Black load with the 123 ELDM?

I'm having some issues with my reloads sticking in the lands at 2.255" O'all. I've used this ammo successfully in the past but don't have any left to measure.
  • fdbyrne78
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

What barrel are you using?

Comment

• Mad Charlie
      Warrior
      • May 2017

I get 2.240.

Comment

• jhoyda
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

18" Larue.

Comment

• jhoyda
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
          I get 2.240.
          Thank you.

Comment

• jhoyda
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

I didn't realize it was a problem until I started hunting, I had never extracted a live round. From the magazine the load cycles well, no extraction problems.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
              Warrior
              • May 2017

In my Satern bbl I had problems with extracting unfired factory rounds which stopped once my cases were fire formed.

My unfired Lapua cases measure 1.205 to datum, My fired Lapua cases in that chamber measure 1.220, I set the shoulder to 1.215 and it stopped sticking.

Long Chamber much? I was using the same bullet, but I don't remember which one it was right at the moment. I bought the factory ammo from Precision Firearms and it measured out very consistently. In my AA bbl cases fire form to 1.210 so I keep my fired brass separated.

I talked to Satern, but no real help there. We didn't seem to be on the same page of the conversation at the same time.

Comment

• jhoyda
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

Well, SAAMI length tolerance on the Grendel chamber is +0.015

Looks like I'm going to have to seat the bullets deeper and work up my load again. I made the mistake of assuming the chamber would be fine at max mag length.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Is your Larue a SAAMI chamber or a 264 LBC? Throats and leade can differ in an LBC since there is no Saami spec.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 1Shot
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

Slit the neck on a case just start the bullet you want to use in the neck by hand and after removing the upper from the lower slip the round into the chamber and close the bolt by hand. Extract carefully and measure from base of case to ogive. Do this 5 times and it will give you a good idea of where your to the lands measurement will be with that bullet. Cheap-O way to do it. Some bullets will surprise you how far they will be off the lands with max mag length, 120 Speer Gold Dot is one, then there will be some that will be in or very close to the lands at mag length and then there is the Sierra 130 Game King that in my rifles can't be close to mag length without being into the lands.

Comment

• jhoyda
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                      Is your Larue a SAAMI chamber or a 264 LBC? Throats and leade can differ in an LBC since there is no Saami spec.
                      I don't know. I would assume it is a SAAMI chamber since they released them just last year.

1Shot, thanks for the tip. I never thought about slitting the neck. I tried with a sized case, but that didn't work too well. I'm still learning.

Comment

• 1Shot
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2018

Jhoyda Full length size the case first then with a hacksaw or some other cutting device cut a line from mouth of case down to the start of the shoulder. After every use pull the bullet out with your fingers and before next use pinch the neck of the case with your fingers at the cut junction to just snug up the neck so it will hold the bullet tight. When closing the bolt do it slowly, don't slam it shut or you can drive the bullet into the lands a little giving you a false reading.
                        Last edited by 1Shot; 06-28-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jhoyda View Post
                          Well, SAAMI length tolerance on the Grendel chamber is +0.015

Looks like I'm going to have to seat the bullets deeper and work up my load again. I made the mistake of assuming the chamber would be fine at max mag length.
                          Since you are reloading you really need to get the Hornady COAL gauge. You should be checking the lead with each bullet you load and then experimenting with coal for accuracy (if you want to).
                          The "slotted case" talked about above didn't work well for me; way too inconsistent to be reliable. The H gauge isn't very expensive and in my mind worth it's weight in gold.

And the bullet comparator:

"In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                            Since you are reloading you really need to get the Hornady COAL gauge. You should be checking the lead with each bullet you load and then experimenting with coal for accuracy (if you want to).
                            The "slotted case" talked about above didn't work well for me; way too inconsistent to be reliable. The H gauge isn't very expensive and in my mind worth it's weight in gold.

And the bullet comparator:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...nt264-diameter
                            These will also give you false readings, requiring you do do the math from a fire formed sized case shoulder datum line, and the HOL modified case datum line.

Mine is now gathering dust. I use a sized case with the neck bushing sized down about 1/16th from the mouth. One for each rifle.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                              These will also give you false readings, requiring you do do the math from a fire formed sized case shoulder datum line, and the HOL modified case datum line.

Mine is now gathering dust. I use a sized case with the neck bushing sized down about 1/16th from the mouth. One for each rifle.
                              The difference between fired cases and the Hornady case varies but is less than .010 and I am buying the drill bit and tap to make my own from fired cases. But since I don't seat the bullets closer than about .020 I'm OK.

There is no way you can be sure your bullet is against the lands and not moving when you pull the case.
                              With the Hornady gauge I push it fairly tight against the lands and use a rod to push the bullet/gauge out of the bore. Can't be more positive than that.
                              Obviously, do what you are comfortable with.
                              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

Working...
                              X