• Melglass
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

ELD vs SST

How do they compare for hogs and deer?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Looking in the hunting & varmiting section for the knock down survey also look up DNS night hog hunting vids.

You should find plenty of Intel between those two sources.

My own thoughts under 300 yards put either bullet in the head,neck or high shoulder and it's a dead deer are hog.

Comment

• Melglass
      Bloodstained
      • May 2016

Figured as much but on runners it is hard to get perfect shots. He seems to be having good luck with the TNTs just wish they did not cost more in factory loads than the Hornady. Hell you can buy the Sportsman’s case of ammo shoot them then buy the TNTs and a lb of powder for less than 200 rounds of the Federal.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Melglass View Post
        Figured as much but on runners it is hard to get perfect shots. He seems to be having good luck with the TNTs just wish they did not cost more in factory loads than the Hornady. Hell you can buy the Sportsman’s case of ammo shoot them then buy the TNTs and a lb of powder for less than 200 rounds of the Federal.
        I have never paid same or more price per round for the tnt load compared to hornady loads unless the hornady loads were well marked down on a sale.

As far as running shots, my own personal thoughts is you need to train for them.

But I wouldn't hesitate to take shots on hogs like that with either of those two bullets but that is my personal choice, hogs are trash to me, we trying to eradicate them like rats around where I live and hunt.

Take the time to watch all of DNS vids and you will see he used the sst round for a long time even on running hogs.

Hope this info helps sir.

Comment

• Melglass
          Bloodstained
          • May 2016

Seen the videos on the SST and they work very well but can’t find much on the ELD. The 168 Amax is pretty nasty on the hogs so I would think the 123 would work good. We clean every hog we kill and donate to people in need. But then again if I was killing them like some of the guys in the videos I would be dragging them to the fields edge an walking away. On a good night we kill 3-5. Can’t imagine having the number of hogs some have.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Melglass View Post
            Seen the videos on the SST and they work very well but can’t find much on the ELD. The 168 Amax is pretty nasty on the hogs so I would think the 123 would work good. We clean every hog we kill and donate to people in need. But then again if I was killing them like some of the guys in the videos I would be dragging them to the fields edge an walking away. On a good night we kill 3-5. Can’t imagine having the number of hogs some have.
            Then give thanks to god you dont and pray twice tommorw you never do.

Comment

• Melglass
              Bloodstained
              • May 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              Then give thanks to god you dont and pray twice tommorw you never do.
              Lol. We will sooner or later just trying to slow them down. Put bullets in all we see. In our area if they run 20 yards you will never find them so we do feed the critters too.

Comment

• tracker12
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

I am relatively new to the Grendel but have taken a dozen or so hogs with the the SST and ELD. To be honest I have not really noticed much difference. I started with the ELD since that was what I started with. Never lost a hog but figured I should shoot the SST so I switched. They have also worked out. This is on 100-175# Georgia hogs.
                AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• Melglass
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by tracker12 View Post
                  I am relatively new to the Grendel but have taken a dozen or so hogs with the the SST and ELD. To be honest I have not really noticed much difference. I started with the ELD since that was what I stared with. Never lost a hog but figured I should shoot the SST so I switched. They have also worked out. This is on 100-175# Georgia hogs.
                  I have a few hundred of both so will be giving them a try when I get my upper put together. Been tied up with family stuff and have only got to slip away once in the last three weeks. Got 4 biggest taped out at a little over 270lb but they were with my 7.62x39 upper.

Comment

Working...
                  X