• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • va_connoisseur
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Approximating a load

I was gifted some 140 gr Hornady BTHP Match bullets. While there is no load data for that round, I wanted to safely test a load so looked for rounds about the same length.

Using the JBM Ballastics site, I found that the Hornady BTHP Match is 1.338, while the Swift Sciroco is 1.350. Looking in the Grendel Reloading Handbook Vol. 2, the Hornady is not listed but the Swift is.

Is it safe to use the Swift load data (of course starting low). For example on page 91: Varget load, 26-27 gr., loading to a COAL of 2.260. Thanks.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

IIRC There are some guys on here shooting 140 gr Hornady SP, that might be a better starting point even though they are shorter, do a search. Bear in mind that your longer bullet will intrude into the case volume more causing the pressure to run higher...

Usefulness may depend on your barrel length and chamber throat, distance to lands, mag length you can do, etc.

I wouldn't vouch for using Swift data, it introduces a lot of unknowns when you switch mfrs.

Sure you don't want to use them in say a 260 or a 6.5 Creed? 140 is getting heavy for the Grrr.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Quickload simulates 26.7gn of Varget is the max before SAAMI is exceeded. This is based on your 140HSP (Interlock) bullet, OAL and an assumed case capacity of 36.4gns of water (Lapua cases). Obviously this is a simulation and your situation is unique meaning take all the usual precautions.

I agree with Grayfox...They'll be coming out an 18" barrel around the 2,200fps mark which is slower than a wet week.

Comment

• CastleBravo
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2017

JRB did a video with the 140 BTHP.

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          Quickload simulates 26.7gn of Varget is the max before SAAMI is exceeded. This is based on your 140HSP (Interlock) bullet, OAL and an assumed case capacity of 36.4gns of water (Lapua cases). Obviously this is a simulation and your situation is unique meaning take all the usual precautions.

I agree with Grayfox...They'll be coming out an 18" barrel around the 2,200fps mark which is slower than a wet week.
          Which matches the 30-30 load with 170gr except it's 30grs lighter.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

VA, try 1 at a lesser load- see what you have. Just plunk 1 out there @ 50 yds for fun.

I shot 175 MK's out of my 7.62x40 WT AR, with a reduced loading, it was good enough to hit pop cans @ 100 yds. Doinky, doink.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

Yeah, Sneaky that is probably what I will do. A friend has a Lab radar so it’ll be interesting to see what it does.

Comment

• Fat Albert
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2017

Klem: a couple question for you on your QL. Are you using .6 as the Weight Factor for the 6.5 Grendel? Have you made caliber based bullet files? When you have factory load data with both fps and pressure (Hodgdon and Acc.) are you adj. powder "ba" for both min and max data? Using the same powder and bullets I change the barrel lenght and OAL to my rifle and enter the pressure ba, I then raise or lower the powder charge to get the same psi and then enter the fps ba to find the speed. Ps : If you are entering a GSCustom bullets(all copper) you have to click the "friction-proofed" box as per GSC.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Albert,

No, No, and No.

But I will have a tinker with all that and see if it makes much difference. Apart from adjusting the case volume (H20 capacity) and creating favourite case load files I use the default settings...unless it's a new bullet that's not already in its library, then I start measuring and weighing.

How do you justify the 0.6 weighting factor or in other words, how did you come by that?

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                    Warrior
                    • May 2017

"How do you justify the 0.6 weighting factor or in other words, how did you come by that? "

I too, would like to know that. I have not been using my Quickload for the Grendel because it seems that many people consider it "unreliable" for the Grendel.
                    Since my pressure testing thread, I have run some loads through the software comparing it to Nosler's data and my actual chrono data. Setting temp, water cap. actual case and bullet length, and ba to match chrono data, and figuring 25 fps per inch of bbl. My results are coming out very close, almost right on the money, so I must be doing something wrong, right?
                    Last edited by Mad Charlie; 07-08-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post

Thanks. I’m not familiar with QuickLoad. Any and all information is appreciated.

“Slower than a wet week”, never heard that one. Funny.

I’m just looking to experiment and see if it’s possible to make a deer/hog round for <150 yards. I know there are other bullets and I have those but wanted to see what I could extract from these pills.
                      Last edited by va_connoisseur; 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X