X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I'm not an expert in terminal ballistics, but in the case of an arrowhead, its advantage is that the blades can cut organs/arteries on its way through the animal and cause massive bleeding thus relatively quick kill, whereas bullet has to have enough energy to deform deform and cause a wound channel of sufficient damage. The bullet can also, if >2200 ft/s, render a hydraulic shock to the central nervous system that can stun or knock down the animal. Goal here being to cause enough trauma for a quick, ethical kill. Lots of hunters prefer a "pass through" bullet which also means that not all of the 1000# "entry" energy will be deposited in the target... anyway it's true you don't need all of that 1000# but for a hunting shot, that's a good number to use as rule of thumb, imo.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Roger A5, for me the real limiting factor is my confidence level and skill in making a distance shot... not a pure marksman altho I practice a lot. I want to be able to extend my range out to maybe 400 yds/accurately so if I get to go on an antelope hunt I have a chance... they have great eyesight!
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Which has more energy at 400+ yards Grendel or 234. It is the Grendel.

As long as the bullet has 600 or more ft/lbs of energy and velocity to expand I m good on the Southern deer I hunt. If I were in the midwest or Northern states where the deer are larger I might bump that to 800 ft/lbs but I have killed enough deer and hogs to be confident in those figures. Think about a 357 Mag handgun, those figures are more than it has at the Muzzle.

I haven't shot any game at over 350 yards in years but still like to shoot out to 500 or so. The Grendel does that quite well and I would not hesitate to use it under the right conditions to 400 for game such as deer and hogs

Comment

• CaptnC
          Warrior
          • May 2018

GFox is spot on...arrows kill differently than a bullet. You can nearly get enough velocity into an arrow by dropping it from a tree top, but a bullet would, at best put a knot on your head.

I have some long winded posts on 6mm bullets/chamberings. On the long range hunting site. I've seen first hand poor bullet performance from 6mm Remington and 6mm AI at 400 yards. The deer are eastern Texas river bottom deer. Live weights of 175+lbs on mature deer. So...I will get something more capable out of the safe if I plan to stretch a shot out.

I like shooting the Grendel at 400 yards and plan to get my dope worked out to take it to the 600yds steel, but that doesn't mean I plan to use a marginal energy chambering to hunt with.

Way to many other 6.5 rifles in my safe to use the smallest energy wise to hunt long range.

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

By all means captn do what you are comfortable with.

I just get sick and tired of people posting this 200 yd nonsense when the Grendel is much more than that.
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• CaptnC
              Warrior
              • May 2018

rabid,
              I do agree that the little Grendel is a great cartridge and it definitely fills a purpose. I wishot I had converted my POS 5.56 rifles a long time ago.

I plan my wife to hunt with the 20" this fall. We always hunt together (she is scared of being alone in the woods) so I will carry her 6.5 Creedmoor for when Mr big shows up. But doe and hogs will get the Grendel!

If I get drawn on a spike/doe hunt or hog hunt it will be my go to rifle for those hunts. If one pops out at 300ish yards I will lay the hammer down on it!

I'm not trying to be disrespectfully to the chambering but I don't want animals to suffer from poor bullet performance because the bullet ran out of gas.

In the story you linked...what if it hit a rib going in and stopped within a few inches because it didn't have enough energy to over come that impact. The deer will most likely die, but when?

I don't want to have to pray I miss a rib going in so I have enough energy to at least reach the far side of the chest cavity.
              Last edited by CaptnC; 07-13-2018, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X